IGNORED

Spitting on the Golf Course

iacas
Note: This thread is 1932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

35 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about spitting on the golf course?

• No spitting anywhere, ever!
    • Spit in certain locations, not in others.
    • Spit wherever you want.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

It's definitely disgusting, but more courteous than spitting it all over the course. At least they have one spot they're spitting this stuff into and then (hopefully!) disposing of later. I can't stand the sight of someone's tobacco spit cup, but I'd rather them spit in there and throw the cup away than leaving chewed up tobacco all over the course.

I think he meant into the hole where the flagstick goes. That cup.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Oh yeah, that is never okay.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I think it depends on who you are playing with. With strangers, I tend to not swear and don't spit when they are watching. With kids around, none of either. With friends and family, I act normal, or as normal as I can be, which really isn't that normal if I think about it.:-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 2/14/2011 at 1:00 PM, dhanson said:

I spit on the course, however infrequent, but not on the green/fringe/teebox/anywhere playing partners might walk.

Why the difference in consideration between your playing partners and everyone else? At least your partners might see you do it and avoid walking in that area; others, not so much...

Personally I wouldn't spit anywhere, on the golf course or outside of it, unless something unusual happened, like a bug flying in my mouth. Ditto for peeing on the course: the restrooms are usually not that far off that I can't wait an hour or less...

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

I try not to spit on the course, but sometimes there's nothing else to do. I will not spit on a green or a tee. I can't imagine anyone putting through a loogey and then touching the ball. Yug! 

The newer phenomenon seems to be the guys who spit sunflower seed hulls all over the green! Stop that! 

I try to spit, sneeze, and fart, at the same time.  That way; no single act attracts 100 per cent attention.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

21 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I try not to spit on the course, but sometimes there's nothing else to do. I will not spit on a green or a tee. I can't imagine anyone putting through a loogey and then touching the ball. Yug! 

The newer phenomenon seems to be the guys who spit sunflower seed hulls all over the green! Stop that! 

Well, in their defense, they're not spitting those sunflower seeds in their line.  Just yours, when you're behind them.  Selfish bastards!

10 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Hear Hear!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I chew smokeless tobacco, and I definitely chew whilst playing golf, but if we played together my experience has been that you would never know.  Not that I'm swallowing it, as some do, but rather because I'm considerate and have common sense.  When you're outdoors, go ahead and piss, poop, spit, fart or screw .... it shouldn't matter so long as you don't impact others ability to enjoy their own experiences.

• Thumbs Up 1

We got a lot of tobacco chewers around here, so spitting goes with the territory. Most of them are fine.

I can only think of one guy that I routinely see spit on greens and tee boxes. Did it on my line once. He laughed at my complaint. Said "Don't worry. You never hit your line anyway."

It was only just recently that I got my first taste of sunflower seed guy. Don't know how that works exactly, but the spread looked like it came out of a sawed-off shotgun.

Well, I have to confess to "spit cleaning" my golf ball pretty often. 

Keep your loogies and sunflower seeds off the green and I could not possibly care less. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

23 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Or was he wearing a cup and spit into it???  This is all so confusing.

To clarify. Back in 2006, or 2007, at a WGC Golf tournament, Sergio Garcia was pissed that he missed a couple of short putts. I think he even took bogey on the hole. In his frustration, he then spit a large gob of spit into the cup. The cup being the hole, that holds the flag pole that he was trying to putt the ball into. It was also rumored that for his spitting into the cup, hole, flag holder (what ever)   the PGA may have fined him for his poor on course, tournament conduct. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 12/19/2018 at 10:20 AM, iacas said:

No, I meant a personal cup.  (it's fine, I just think it's grosser than just spitting chew spit in the rough.  It's not a big deal to target the woods or rough while traveling the fairway, or leaving a tee or green.  Better than having a chew cup in the cart or just carrying it around.)

15 hours ago, Piz said:

I try to spit, sneeze, and fart, at the same time.  That way; no single act attracts 100 per cent attention.

At a certain age, you don't have to "TRY" to do that on purpose.  It's a new skill that just happens.

Edited by rehmwa
  • Like 1

Bill - 

On 12/19/2018 at 8:52 PM, Piz said:

One time, my main golf buddy and I were playing a match against his Son and his Son's buddy. Four holes into the match I am suffering a terminal case of FGB! That's Fatal Gaseous Backup! One of our opponents had a pitch shot to the 4th green, a par 5, with a wrap around pond to the right of the green. 

As he lined up his shot, I felt the pressure building! I tried to hold off, but since the guy took forever to play, I couldn't do it. I had to let it go! It was an almighty, raspy, ripper of a fart! 

I swear, if we were in a rocky canyon, it would have echoed! 

i saw the guy tense up. He should have backed off and reset, but he didn't, he stayed over the ball. He then proceeded to shank the shot into the pond! I felt bad for the guy, but my partner erupted in laughter! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2011 at 2:09 PM, iacas said:

Tiger's recent "spat" with the Euro Tour officials kinda led to this thread and poll being created.

I don't care if people spit on the golf course. It's water.

I don't want them to spit on the greens or fringe. I don't want them to spit on the tee box.

I don't think I've ever seen spit elsewhere on the course, because it just soaks in, dries up, evaporates, or whatever. The other chemicals on the ground are probably 10x worse than spit you'll never even run into, and guess what people, we're wearing shoes...

So I don't see spitting as a big deal at all. You're outside. There's grass. People spit in just about every other outdoors sport, and golf's got the largest playing field, so...

And I'm not talking about chewing tobacco spit. Though I can't say I know many people who chew, so it's never really been a concern of mine.

I am far from an old stick in the mud, but hate spitting. There is no reason why somebody cant spit their flem into their towel or a tissue. Alternatively, I suppose if they can disappear someone discreet (like you would for a pee) no harm done. 

- Simon Hornsby

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

I am far from an old stick in the mud, but hate spitting. There is no reason why somebody cant spit their flem into their towel or a tissue. Alternatively, I suppose if they can disappear someone discreet (like you would for a pee) no harm done. 

Who cares if someone spits off the back of a tee box or in the rough 30 yards away from you but near their golf ball?

Why does that bother you? Why do you "hate" it?

Why do you assume it's "phlegm" that they're spitting? I don't know what kind of spit you've got, but if it's "phlegmy" you should see a doctor.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!