IGNORED

Titleist Pro V1(x) vs. Bridgestone B330-s vs. Srixon Z-Star ?

Note: This thread is 4266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today I went to another shop and the sales clerk advised the Callaway Tour I(s), based on my preferences, played them today ....... well that is to say, after 4 holes I threw them in the bag and grabbed the 330 RXS again. It was cold today, but the Tour I(s) felt less spinny than the 330 RXS ...... maybe have to wait till spring arives to make up my mind.......

Strange thing was that they didn't Hop & Stop as much as I was expecting these would do (maybe due to the low temp) and the cover was gone a a few good strikes, so the durabillity isn't great and the HEX dimples ...... uhhhhhh.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

My buddy plays the Callaway i ball. He loves them and wont play anything else… They're ok. Better than playing a Nike ball. Hahaha

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Try the Nike One Tour D - you can find them on ebay for $20-25 a dzn. It's soon to be replaced; however, it's a steal for a ball that was selling for $45 a dzn and if you like'em you can stock up (I bought 5 dzn for $100). They're super long off the tee and spin just as much as the one's you listed and if there is a drop-off it's minimal.

I played some Z-Star X tour yellows this past weekend...as I was playing some bad weather golf...

I liked the ball a lot. Spinny and decently long. A lower ball flight...some of which was me keeping it out of the air/wind, but some of it was the ball itself. I usually play the TM TP Black LDP that goes high and deep.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

As one of the guys said to try the 330 RX instead of the 330 RXS..... I did, but also bumped into a bunch of Pro V1x dozens at a huge discount, so I bought the remaining 2009 Pro V1x dozens of the shop and it looks I will be using these for at least the season.

The 330 RX was fine also, but the greenside spin on the Pro V1x is better .... I don't like the putter sound of the Pro V1x, butt well I will get used to them .......

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Well, if you want a comparable ball with the Titleist pro V1x, thats the Z-Star x

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

I think the Bridgestone is better than the ProV1…

The thing is that is just your opinion. I've tried Srixons, Nike balls, Bridgestones and TaylorMades. None of them worked nearly as well as the Titleist Pro V1x.

Now you may say that I'm a Titleist fan boy but the truth is that I've tried other brands and just did not like them.

I started with Nike Platinums, then played the Bridgestone B330 for a while. It got to the point where the Titleist Pro V1x was the same cost as these.

I haven't switched balls ever since. I tried Srixons, the B330RX and the B330RXs and nothing changed.

I actually bought a sleeve of Pentas and loved them at first, they just felt great. The next time I tried them, I could control them the way I'm used to with the ProV1x.

• 1 year later...

I had been playing the Taylormade Penta's for the last year and liked the distance off the tee and my irons but never felt they were that good with my scoring irons plus they scuffed really easy with my Vokey wedges.  I won a dozen ProV1's and thought they were good balls very similar to the Penta's but they also scuffed easily for me.  I was told to try the B330 RXS as my SS varies between 100-105...I have to say I love the balls.  The are long off the tee and longer with my irons (my 8 iron maxed around 145-150...now 155 is attainable) but the best part is they drop and stop with my scoring wedges and they are nearly impossible to scuff.  I have played an entire round with them and you can hardly tell.  I am now a believer in the Bridgestone brand and especially the B330-RXS.

I have been putting a lot of time in over the last year trying to pick a ball that felt good and think i may be settling on the Bridgestone ones. I normally play Titleist Pro V1, but have played many rounds with the Taylormade Penta's (they are good off the tee, but don't spin for crap around the greens. I had to stop playing them because i couldn't keep the ball near the pin if it was in the front of the green..and i play with a 62* vokey..)

So next i tried the Callaway Hex Black. Felt good off the tee, felt good on my wedges, but anything else and it was like hitting a rock (even with the putter). Needless to say, if it feels bad on 11 of your 14 clubs you should probably switch balls.

Then I tried the Bridgestone brand (now the model i tried, and totally expected to hate was the E6 - they had been given to me). My god was i wrong. I loved the ball. Hit it a mile off the tee (i think my first hit was 330 into the wind - it was a little downhill...It also jumped off the face of my irons, even out of the rough and would have a really high trajectory. And control with my chip shots around the green was good. It even added the Pop i was missing with my putter as of late. THe only downside to the ball was that my full swing approach shots didn't spin back like they do with the Pro V1's. The would release about 5 yards. I plan to try the 330-S to see if they spin a little more, but if they don't i see myself playing the e6 Ball for a while...

Originally Posted by dlance

I have been putting a lot of time in over the last year trying to pick a ball that felt good and think i may be settling on the Bridgestone ones. I normally play Titleist Pro V1, but have played many rounds with the Taylormade Penta's (they are good off the tee, but don't spin for crap around the greens. I had to stop playing them because i couldn't keep the ball near the pin if it was in the front of the green..and i play with a 62* vokey..)

So next i tried the Callaway Hex Black. Felt good off the tee, felt good on my wedges, but anything else and it was like hitting a rock (even with the putter). Needless to say, if it feels bad on 11 of your 14 clubs you should probably switch balls.

Then I tried the Bridgestone brand (now the model i tried, and totally expected to hate was the E6 - they had been given to me). My god was i wrong. I loved the ball. Hit it a mile off the tee (i think my first hit was 330 into the wind - it was a little downhill...It also jumped off the face of my irons, even out of the rough and would have a really high trajectory. And control with my chip shots around the green was good. It even added the Pop i was missing with my putter as of late. THe only downside to the ball was that my full swing approach shots didn't spin back like they do with the Pro V1's. The would release about 5 yards. I plan to try the 330-S to see if they spin a little more, but if they don't i see myself playing the e6 Ball for a while...

Seems pretty strange that the only reason you mentioned for not liking the Penta was your inability spin the ball around the greens, but you love the e6.  There's no way you can get anywhere near as much spin around the greens with the e6 compared to the Penta.

Hey, if you like the e6 then by all means play with it, but I personally wouldn't trade off short game control for any other benefit a ball could provide.

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

Originally Posted by Derek02

Seems pretty strange that the only reason you mentioned for not liking the Penta was your inability spin the ball around the greens, but you love the e6.  There's no way you can get anywhere near as much spin around the greens with the e6 compared to the Penta.

Hey, if you like the e6 then by all means play with it, but I personally wouldn't trade off short game control for any other benefit a ball could provide.

I was not expecting to be able to control the e6 around the green either...but after playing on the course with it i can't argue with the results. Also, i did mention that i was going to try the 330's to see if i could keep that feel off the irons and driver, but increase green-side spin. I played many a rounds with the penta's and could not stop them (even with flop shots). I might as well have been chipping with range balls.

Note: This thread is 4266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!