IGNORED

My Swing (iacas)

iacas

7 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Well, rather than wade through 26 pages of content I watched the vid and read the first page. Then I skipped to the last.

Well that is just dumb.

You can read the first page -Though if you were just gonna read two you should read the last two-But if you want to read the first and the last at least do not COMMENT on something from 2011.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Stupid question but is your shoulder getting under your chin? It looks like you shoulder almost covers your mouth in some shots.

Ive been starting to do the same a bit as I wear glasses so gotta keep my chin down a bit to see the ball through the lens.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

Stupid question but is your shoulder getting under your chin? It looks like you shoulder almost covers your mouth in some shots.

Those are drills with a ton of exaggeration. My chin is retracted a bit, my left arm rides up higher than normal, the right elbow gets well off my rib cage… etc.

Though I don't have much of a chin, in a "real" swing it still ends up on top of the left arm near the top of the backswing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Played well today trying to do nothing but take what felt like a really long (time) backswing. Helped the backswing not get too long.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Played 11 holes poorly (still scored somewhat okay), then hit the range after a long wait on 12 tee.

Glad I did because I may have figured a bit out after struggling post-ankle-injury timeout.

The feeling was to simplify and just do the elbow folding, umbrella, wrist hinging stuff only. Nothing else. Let my lower body, my turn, my chest, my head, my hips… let everything else do what it does. JUST do the right arm stuff, mostly.

Swing felt simpler. I put a stick out to start every ball right of it (some were just barely right, all drew). Contact was good, even when I got a bit faster than I am trying to swing. Pumped some longer drivers out there. Hit some 220-yard drives flush, straight, etc. Wedges. 6-irons. Hybrids. Didn't matter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I'd lost the feels so I went back to exaggerate.

These aren't even exaggerations, but they're good. Not worried at all about the downswing on these, and I'm under-turning, too. I grouped the balls into piles of three (this is in the middle of about 90 minutes practicing today), and would take small breaks after each pile of three balls to stay fresh.

I was listening to music but it was quiet so I could hear the sound of impact. Good to take some divots again (good sized ones), and good to feel the exaggerated backswing again.

Very pleased with my work today.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

I exaggerated the backswing feels today, but then spent some more time on the downswing feel. What worked today was the feeling of driving my right shoulder down and out while the shaft tips back slightly (wrist feel). I immediately got height, more solid contact, a push or a draw, and some other things "back" when I did this.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I exaggerated the backswing feels today, but then spent some more time on the downswing feel. What worked today was the feeling of driving my right shoulder down and out while the shaft tips back slightly (wrist feel). I immediately got height, more solid contact, a push or a draw, and some other things "back" when I did this.

I think a feeling like that is something I need to begin to try. I suppose those two together help to shallow the golf club as the downswing begins which lets you attack from the inside a bit easier which will produce the draw and probably a bit more lag.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Grizvok said:

I think a feeling like that is something I need to begin to try. I suppose those two together help to shallow the golf club as the downswing begins which lets you attack from the inside a bit easier which will produce the draw and probably a bit more lag.

I'd be reluctant to recommend a feel that works for me to someone else, even though I'm somewhat familiar with your swing.

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'd be reluctant to recommend a feel that works for me to someone else, even though I'm somewhat familiar with your swing.

I get it. I know when you are talking about feel it’s tied to video as well (since feel by itself isn’t real) so I aim to follow that general approach.

Perhaps trying out both feels at the same time is a mistake since I am trying to be as specific as possible but I need to find some feels or drills that help me learn how to shallow the club.

What happened to your ankle by the way?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

What happened to your ankle by the way?

Sprain from soccer.

• Administrator

The "palms out" feeling is particularly important.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

The "palms out" feeling is particularly important.

What do you mean by this?

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

What do you mean by this?

A feeling that works for me. And "palms" is a typo. Should just say "palm." Right palm.

On 6/27/2018 at 1:03 AM, iacas said:

These aren't even exaggerations, but they're good. Not worried at all about the downswing on these, and I'm under-turning, too. I grouped the balls into piles of three (this is in the middle of about 90 minutes practicing today), and would take small breaks after each pile of three balls to stay fresh.

I was listening to music but it was quiet so I could hear the sound of impact. Good to take some divots again (good sized ones), and good to feel the exaggerated backswing again.

Very pleased with my work today.

Always like watching your videos of your sessions and how you focus on process rather than immediate outcome. Great message :-)

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

• Administrator
5 hours ago, b101 said:

Always like watching your videos of your sessions and how you focus on process rather than immediate outcome. Great message :-)

Thank you. I try. :-)

7 hours ago, b101 said:

Absolutely. This is something I still need to work on a lot. It's funny how we work on the swing a whole bunch yet working on how we practice is almost as important towards actually achieving that ideal swing.

I really have no idea why I have an ego when I practice even if I'm just by myself at the range. It's silly, but I do. Way too many balls are hit at too high of a percentage of my maximum swing power when the undeniably better choice is to back off on effort and focus on mechanics, mechanics, mechanics.

On 6/26/2018 at 5:03 PM, iacas said:

Great example of how to practice. Really like the practice moves.

Sorry to hear about the injuries.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram