IGNORED

My Swing (iacas)

iacas

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Came up with an odd sort of drill for myself. I did it a little too fast and was just a little out of sequence, but these are among the first swings I recorded and they're still pretty decent. So I kinda like it.

Just a trial run though, and I think the idea is sound, but it has to be done smaller, shorter, smoother.

These are "okay."

01.jpg

What is the focus piece of the drill, higher hands at A4?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

What is the focus piece of the drill, higher hands at A4?

More about teaching where the arms go — mostly upward, rather than around you — during the golf swing. By just pumping them up and down in front of me, and then adding in a turn (you can see how out of sequence it is, but that's not really the point) after four or five, you can really make the arms feel like they go out and up and you can really feel how it's the "turn"'s job to carry the hands/arms inward (depth).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

More about teaching where the arms go — mostly upward, rather than around you — during the golf swing. By just pumping them up and down in front of me, and then adding in a turn (you can see how out of sequence it is, but that's not really the point) after four or five, you can really make the arms feel like they go out and up and you can really feel how it's the "turn"'s job to carry the hands/arms inward (depth).

Thanks. It looks like a good drill to try. Sometimes I get too flat on the course. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Things were a TON better today with a feeling of being a bit more "into" my right leg/knee, etc.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Posting for future practices.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Takeaway work up to about 2.7.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

Setup feels pretty good:

image.png

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

This is not a video you'll want to watch. It's 11 minutes long because there's a LOT of slow-motion parts with multiple swings with stuff in between.

• I was primarily working on A1-A3 here.
  • This was early in a long (for me) session today.
  • I noticed in this video that I could let my right elbow bend a little bit sooner, so I spent some of the rest of the session letting that happen.
  • I'll be on to A3-A5 here very soon.
  • The left knee could extend just a tiny bit sooner. 🙂 (That's for later. Much later.)
  • I'm pretty happy with the path on these, even though I'm not yet working on even the transition.
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Face-on is about half-way through.

Backswing not perfect, but good enough that I can focus on A3-A5 while keeping tabs on 1-3.

Like 1-3 face-on, except that it goes on a wee bit long. Need to hinge up the wrists a bit sooner.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

Current swing notes… (notes on the notes in red)

• Square right foot (I hit some balls today with it about 30° closed 😄)
  • Hinge early so…
  • Hands track straight back, up. (All my arms do is this)
  • Flying right elbow (feel)
  • Turn still important (Sometimes I get so stuck on working on the arms I forget to turn. Not much these days.)
  • Soft right shoulder (Almost falling off the list. I do this pretty well.)
  • Good flow especially forward (I sometimes flow back and get stuck there because I used to just be so centered/centered).

• Administrator

Right elbow flies off the chest early. Elevation. Early.

• Administrator

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg

A few photos from my "lesson" with Dave today. Another set of eyes, mostly. Some good swings. Some a bit too fast. But even those weren't terrible.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator

More practice today, good long session:

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Will write up more later.

Ha, same quarter zip.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

So it's taken awhile.

I generally have to do a few things:

• Feel the arms lifting off my chest, particularly my right elbow, almost immediately in the backswing.
    • It feels like it's "out" and away early in the backswing.
    • The right arm feeling soft can help here, and the right shoulder.
    • I have to find a way for this to work with partial wedges, because if it's actually "out" I can't make a downswing.
    • The hands can go "up" and "out" feeling, but the shaft has to stay vertical to even slightly "\" feeling.
    • The shoulders continue to tilt on their angles. Occasionally I tend to get flat (like a few degrees) in trying to elevate my right elbow. But flattening actually lowers that right elbow. 🙂
    • This is a small move - my arms don't do much here.
  • At the top, the shaft feels across the line, and the shaft falls behind me a bit.
    • Soft right hand.
    • Sometimes it works to "feel" myself making this happen, as the hands drop. Sometimes it doesn't. I don't think feeling this is a long-term thing.
    • Swinging out over the stick makes me feel a good "release" of the hands. Tough to describe. Face feels 45° open, and yet the ball rockets out straight, and I have no trouble hitting the ground.
  • All of this with a bit of the proper flow. As I sometimes get stuck on what my arms are doing, and forget what the lower body is doing.
    • Shift back, twist the ribs up against the right thigh, and fall forward.

I've had some nice glimpses of this lately. Here and there. Even on the course. It feels free, easy. The ball goes. Hitting the ground is easy.

It sounds like a lot, and I'm probably a bit behind where I've wanted to be. We got more early play this winter… and I've slacked a little bit, assuming it would be easy.

I'm going to hit a lot of shots with the station set up with the angled noodle.

• Like 3

• Administrator

Those are B+ swings. I am more diligent about putting the noodle out when I have more than five minutes to practice.

• Administrator

How extreme this crap has to feel:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Adding a little of the flow makes for some nice shots… when I focus too much on my arms when I'm playing golf, man is it tough to hit good shots. My legs just don't do anything.

When I add some transfer…

image.png

🙂

• Like 1