IGNORED

Only have two wedges...Am I missing one?

DannyB215
Note: This thread is 4783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Right now I only have 2 wedges, a Gap wedge and a 56 (CG14). My irons are from 4-PW and also have a R9 driver and a Nike SQ 5 wood, and will also be adding something in between my 4 and my 5 wood (suggestions please!!!). My gap wedge is a 49 degree which I hit about 100-110 yards. I really use my 56 around the green and sand, since I'm not confident in it yet from 50-60 yards. Therefore, what would you get in this situation?

Originally Posted by DannyB215

Right now I only have 2 wedges, a Gap wedge and a 56 (CG14). My irons are from 4-PW and also have a R9 driver and a Nike SQ 5 wood, and will also be adding something in between my 4 and my 5 wood (suggestions please!!!). My gap wedge is a 49 degree which I hit about 100-110 yards. I really use my 56 around the green and sand, since I'm not confident in it yet from 50-60 yards. Therefore, what would you get in this situation?

It seem like you have 3 wedges.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

The addition of a lob wedge is a personal call, and many "experts" say that high-mid handicappers don't need anything more lofted than a sand wedge.  What's your game like?  Do you need more loft in your short game?  I am trying to ween myself off of my 60* wedge, as it usually contributed more harm than good.  I have a grind on my SW that helps me open it up a lot more, so the LW is becoming redundant anyway.  For someone with your handicap (a mid capper like myself), bridging the gaps in your long irons/hybrids is more important, in my opinion.

If your gap is a 49 the question is what is your PW????  Is it a 46 or 49 so in essence you may be carrying 2 clubs the same loft or at least very close.  Find out your PW loft and work out from there 5 degrees for covering the various yardages.

Driver Wishon 919THI 4 Wood Pure Fit w Accuflex

Ping Rapture hybrid Irons Wishon 770 CFE with Apollo Humps regular Gripmaster rubber grips 4-aw Wedges Ping MB 56 Ping Eye 2 Lob &nbsp ;Mentor Quad putter gripmaster gator grip

Bantam chipper leather grip

Originally Posted by weavej2

If your gap is a 49 the question is what is your PW????  Is it a 46 or 49 so in essence you may be carrying 2 clubs the same loft or at least very close.  Find out your PW loft and work out from there 5 degrees for covering the various yardages.

Gap wedge is 49 and PW is 44. I JUST got the new JPX 800's, so now I might do a 54 and a 58 degree, and trade in my 56.

Quote:

Gap wedge is 49 and PW is 44. I JUST got the new JPX 800's, so now I might do a 54 and a 58 degree, and trade in my 56. ...

---------------------------------------------------

...Actually, could GG or Golf smith bend my 56 to 54? Or do you recommend getting a new club.

What is the distance gap between PW and GW, and GW and SW? Consider a change which will get you about equal distances between the three. This might involve bending the GW to 50*. You'll just have to test it out, considering the CG14 is a different model club.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hit my PW 130-135...GW 100-110...SW..Don't really use my CG14 outside of the green, as it's a club that I don't trust yet, and I'm considering changing it. I definitely need a club that I can hit from 70-90 yards...I can hit the 56 degree about 50 yards.

To me it's all about finding a wedge you are confident with around the green.  Whether it be a PW, GW, SW or LW.

I was clubbing a PW and 54 degree SW and then added a Vokey 60.4 degree wedge and to be honest it was the best addition to my bag in a long time.

Even at my handicap (19/20 range) I feel its super easy to hit.  From full on shots (about 60-70yds down to greenside work).

To get used to it I chipped around the yard for about a month before I took it to the course.

The only shot I dont use it for is short bump and runs around the green (I prefer a 7 iron with a putting stroke for those).  Love it for 30-40yd pitches where I can hit it higher and let it release on the green and run up to the hole (I don't generate much spin so this shot works well for me).

Even pitched one in from that distance last season and put many within 18" of the hole.  I've never been able to get that accurate with any other wedge before.

The key was really in the fact that I spent alot of time around the yard hitting all my wedges about 15-20 yards.  I felt out of my 48 deg, 54 deg and 60deg the 60deg for me was the easist to get the ball up into the air and the most accurate.  That builds confidence for the course.

Also another consideration regarding the # of wedges you play is how accurate you want to be with shorter shots.  I know my PW goes about 115-120, my 54 degree about 80-100 depending on how hard I swing and my 60 covers anything under that.  I have a GPS unit so I know my yardages and can then hit a full shot with the right club instead of trying to take some off with the next club up.  This has helped lower my score as well.  This year I am adding a GW so I will have a 45, 50, 54 and 60 degree in my arsenal.  I would rather give up  a long club because my odds of hitting a green that is 230 away with a 3w is slim to none.  I would rather hit it 200 with a hybrid then have a short shot remaining that I can try and snug up close.

Even considering bending my 54 to a 55 just so I have the 5 degrees of separation between all of them, but I don't know if I am even good enough to notice a degree.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Quote:

I hit my PW 130-135...GW 100-110...SW..Don't really use my CG14 outside of the green, as it's a club that I don't trust yet, and I'm considering changing it. I definitely need a club that I can hit from 70-90 yards...I can hit the 56 degree about 50 yards.

What is the bounce on your 56 degree CG14? Is it 11º (one dot) or 14º (two dot)? If it is 14º, you might be having trouble with too much bounce if you use it from tighter lies. Cleveland dealers offer "wedge fittings" in which they gauge how much bounce you need for a fairway type shot. Higher bounce clubs dig in less on shots, but some people have trouble with too much bounce. Have someone check out your 56º set up, see if you do something unusual with just that club. Also, given your other wedge distances, you should be getting more than 50 yds. from a 56* club.

Sometimes a club just doesn't work for you. I was the other way - had major trouble with a 50º X20 gap wedge, but did super with a 50º CG14 I picked up last year to replace it.

Or, you might want to trade in the CG14 (plus a little cash) for the JPX set SW. Looks like other JPX wedges work for you.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It might not be a bad idea to add a 58 or 60 degree wedge.  That would give you the ability to hit a nice little greenside flop shot.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Trading in for the JPX SW doesn't sound like a bad idea...We'll see..I literally just got my JPX's delivered last week, and tomorrow will be my second time at the range with them. (Live in Philly, finally getting a 60 degree day here!!) As I continue to grab the feel for these clubs, I think I'll make my adjustment accordingly. Thanks for the help!!!

Trading in for the JPX SW doesn't sound like a bad idea...We'll see..

I would go this route!!

Cleveland Hibore XLS Driver: Nike Ignite2 Irons: Adams SW and LW: Odyssey White Hot Mallet: Bridgestone e6 and TreoSoft Balls etc...

Trading in for the JPX SW doesn't sound like a bad idea...We'll see..I literally just got my JPX's delivered last week, and tomorrow will be my second time at the range with them. (Live in Philly, finally getting a 60 degree day here!!) As I continue to grab the feel for these clubs, I think I'll make my adjustment accordingly. Thanks for the help!!!

I've never hit a set matching sand wedge I liked, but maybe the JPX is different. You can pick up Vokeys and 588s for dirt cheap on ebay. People were brainwashed into dumping them because of their "nonconforming" grooves and you could experiment with loft and bounce combinations without spending a lot of cash.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

i'm using a pw, 51( bounce ground to 4*), 56 (bounce ground to 8*), 60, and a 73.  it's a matter of distance desired, ability to shape the shot, and your own confidence.  do your own experimenting to find what works for you.  go to the Goodwill or whatever thrift store is local and buy a couple old wedges, and while you're there look for a grinder or grinding wheel.  look up "wedge grinding" on the 'net and try it out for yourself.

KZG Gemini 9* Aldila Proto By You
Leyland COPlasma 3wd
Golfsmith Q4 19*
Louisville HyLofter 24*
Wishon 770CFEs w/Nippons
Alpha P2 wedges
Louisville EWP putter

To the OP, I think you're good with what you've got.  I think you'll hit the hybrid/5-wood more often than the 60* wedge.  And if you really need a 60* from the sand or to hit a flop, it's pretty simple to just open up the 56* a bit.

What's in the Bag:
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 12*
3-wood: Taylormade Burner 15*
Hybrid: Taylormade Burner 19*
Irons: Callaway XR

Wedges: Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Newport Studio

Originally Posted by nickel_aTm

To the OP, I think you're good with what you've got.  I think you'll hit the hybrid/5-wood more often than the 60* wedge.  And if you really need a 60* from the sand or to hit a flop, it's pretty simple to just open up the 56* a bit.

I have a 53 degree Cleveland 588 that's easier to open up and hit a high lob than the 57* 588 I pair it with. From 95 yards, from the rough, and from the sand the 57* is fantastic. For just about anything else around the green, the 53* is a better choice. My point is, just because one person can open up their 56 and hit a high lob, doesn't mean the next guy can do it. It takes a certain amount of skill and the right grind on your wedge.

Note: This thread is 4783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!