IGNORED

Bending Nike Split-Backs

Note: This thread is 4814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you are bending a club closer to the starting loft of another, why would you have more confidence in it?  Is it a "I can't hit a 4 iron" mentality that you would feel better hitting a strong 5? I don't mean to come off rude, I am just trying to make sense of what you just said.

it maybe a dumb post...(looking for knowledge).  I guess what I am trying to say is now for a 165 yard shot I would need to hit a 5 or 6 iron as apose to a 7 iron, which I may not be a confident hitting a lower iron....  I was just looking for more distance per club....sounds like it might be a bad idea???

Originally Posted by twinn-burner

it maybe a dumb post...(looking for knowledge).  I guess what I am trying to say is now for a 165 yard shot I would need to hit a 5 or 6 iron as apose to a 7 iron, which I may not be a confident hitting a lower iron....  I was just looking for more distance per club....sounds like it might be a bad idea???

My point is that if you are going to bend them stronger, they have essentially become the club you don't want to hit.  They just have a 6 still stamped on them rather than a 5. If you want more distance you may just want to swap for the vr full cavities.  Being that the split cavities are a players iron you need to be right on the sweet spot and de-lofting the club to get the distance you will get out of a stronger lofted GI club like the full cavities. The other advantage to swapping sets would be that you can make a little money from the switch rather than pay to have them altered.  If you are a 25 handicap you could even look into swapping out just the 3-5 or 6 irons for the full cavities to give you a little extra distance while retaining the accuracy in the short irons. (hell if you have the coin, I would get a sweet set of vr combos)

But to answer your question on whether it is a bad idea...no, if it works for you. It seems like a waste of money to me just so you can look at the number and be more confident rather than choosing a different club...does that make sense?

• Upvote 1

Nike usually sets their clubs stronger opposed to other companies. My Split Cavity's are 2° stronger than my Zuno's on each club. In turn, I hit them about 10 yards longer per club.

taylormade.gif - R9 SuperTri TP 8.5˚ Driver
taylormade.gif - R9 TP 15˚ 19˚ Fairway Woods
nike.gif - VR Split Cavity 2-PW Irons
nike.gif - VR Black 52° 56° Wedges
cameron.gif - Newport 2 34" Putter

Quote:

My point is that if you are going to bend them stronger, they have essentially become the club you don't want to hit.  They just have a 6 still stamped on them rather than a 5. ...

tws has an excellent point.

Also, have you taken any lessons lately? You might have a pro check out your swing before you go spending $$ to change your clubs.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!