IGNORED

Please Tell Me This Guy is in a SMALL Minority (Rickie Fowler GolfWorld Cover)

iacas
Note: This thread is 4755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's kinda what it all boils down to - is anything he wears against the PGA Tour's rules? I think the last time any big apparel rules came up was Tiger's mock turtleneck things. If it's not against the rules, then it's a non-issue. Besides, how in the world can this dude comment on Fowler's clothes when Daly's pants look like a bad acid trip mixed with a Van Gogh and a sprinkle of magic mushrooms?? Dude needs to get off his high horse. Probably the same guy that when Tiger came in the picture was saying "I AHHMM-AM SO PISSED AWFF! NO! NO DAHHHKIES! THEY AAHHH NAWT ALLOWED HEE-AH!"

I'll reiterate what a lot of people said - Fowler is good for the game. He attracts a lot of youth. He seems to be a class act and very friendly. So what if he wears stuff that some of us wouldn't. Like I said, it's not breaking any kinds of rules. I think just based on the simple fact that you all participate on this forum (inferring that you actually use a computer, and thus have some grip on current times and think somewhat progressively) leads me to believe that most all of you are not stuck in the dark ages like this guy. I just think it sucks because there are probably a few people out there that look at it the same way that guy does, and they have probably all contributed to some people either dropping the game altogether, or never picking it up to begin with. It's attitudes like that one that keep people away.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I'm just replying to the person who wrote the comment, and I barely read any responses...

Sorry to break it to you man, but have you seen the stores??? Nike, Callaway and every other golf brand have to watch out this year, because of this kid, he's brought that style out of ALMOST everyone, especially the young generation. All you see in the front lines when you walk into a Golf Smith or Golf Galaxy store is Puma clothing. The hats, the belts, the shirts, and the shoes. This is new, so I really haven't seen anyone wearing it on the course since it's still winter here in Philly, but I think we'll be seeing a ton of people with the bright shirts on this year..I completely agree with your point though, golf is a gentleman's game, but golf has to wrap its arms around this type of player, in order for it to continue to grow.

As a players standpoint, I usually look at someone who wears that type of clothing out and say to myself "he better be as good as Fowler to be wearing that stuff!!" If you're good, and you can pull it off, be my guest.

IMO, wearing baseball caps backwards just shows immaturity, but not worth going off like that, and I'm guessing here, that the guy who wrote that was just a angry old white man. Seems like there are a plethora of them now, lol. (Yup pretty American, being more concerned with how the package is wrapped rather than whats in it). The ones that really get me are the ones who wear their baseball caps sideways, now that is just stupid, which of course is just my opinion.

At this point in Mr. Fowlers golfing career, I consider him as a breath of fresh air.

Just read this, this bloke needs to get with the times..

Yeah Rickie is new and fresh and while I am not into the "rappers/motocross hat" he hardly walks around all scruffy looking like a tramp, even if he wears bright orange he still look smart and well presented.

If this idiot also thinks that Rickie is all the US PGA has to offer as a replacement for Tiger then he know nothing about the game, maybe his next subscription should be Gardeners World!

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

Originally Posted by Ash1974

Just read this, this bloke needs to get with the times..

Yeah Rickie is new and fresh and while I am not into the "rappers/motocross hat" he hardly walks around all scruffy looking like a tramp, even if he wears bright orange he still look smart and well presented.

If this idiot also thinks that Rickie is all the US PGA has to offer as a replacement for Tiger then he know nothing about the game, maybe his next subscription should be Gardeners World!

Who knows, maybe he was equally outraged when Golf Digest ran a story touting Rory MIlroy as the next Tiger Woods. He does have 1 more win than Ricky, but hype sells magazines and that's what it's all about. There doesn't need to be any steak to the sizzle when your goal is selling orange hats shoes and pants. Just ink and face time.

Which cover would sells more magazines outside each player's home country:  Ian Poulter or Mark Wilson? Ricky Fowler or Carl Petterson?  Michelle Wie or Carrie Webb?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Someone has to do something about Fowler before this gets out of hand.

After a warning, he should be given a 2 stroke penalty for every hole he wears whilst dressed "innapropriately and without due respect for the game".

An official should ensure that his hair is at least 2 inches above his collar on the first tee, and haul him off or, better still, give him a regulation shave-down on te tee. If he misses his tee time whilst he's being shaved, too bad. 2 stroke penalty or DQ.

The PGA Tour should agree on an appropriate "colourway standard" and enforce it.

Drag him back to the locker room and hand him some approved golf wear if he doesn't comply.  He'll learn, don't worry.

Those penalty shots and and DQs will cost him and his sponsors cash.

I would also have his hotel room searched for hair straighteners.  That, in my book, is a 6 month ban from both the US And European tours.

Guys like Fowler and Ishikawa are destroying our great game.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Rickie did eviscerate Mickelson in match play today, though I suspect his brilliant form came because it was the only way to redeem himself for his day-glo pink ensemble.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

*****I didn't read the whole thread....

[sarcasm] Jim Furyk Should have been given a 2 stroke penalty for putting his hat on backwards and lost the Tour Championship and the Fedex cup last season {/sarcasm]

As far as hats, back in the day there was Jesper Parnevik. Remember HIS hats! Should he have been punished? His hat was backwards for photos and postround interview. I've seen Tiger, Cink and Couples do that.

There are other players who wear bright colors. Again Jesper back in the day, Ian Poulter, Daly with those ridiculous pants. Payne Stewart (RIP) used to get flak for his throwback style. Should they be punished?

There are other players who have long hair. Check out Miguel Angel Jimenez, he's 46 years old with a pony tail. Bubba Watson and Camilo Villegas both have gotten pretty long in the locks department as well as Aaron Baddly. Should he be punished?

I think his hats reflect what many NON-golfing younger people are wearing away from the golfing community. Away from golf I wear a fitted hat with a flat bill that is 2 sizes (1/4 inch) too big for me, on the golf course I wear subtle colors, dark/light blues/greens, blacks, khakis and whites, and a plain white Nike baseball cap. I think the main reasons it is a big deal is he does wear bright colors (whats the harm). He matches EVERYTHING (Hat, shirt, pants, shoes). I followed him for 3 holes at the Waste Management (Phx) Open and his socks matched his hat color. Sorry he knows how to match (?) But most importantly he is good and in the public eye. The way he plays he can dress a little louder and grow his hair to a ponytail like "The mechanic" Jimenez for all I care.

OG Hoofer bag
Titleist 905R 9.5°, Grapite Design YS-6+ (S)
Callaway Warbird 4 wood, Grafalloy ProLaunch 65S
Ping ISI-s: JZ Cushin Regular flex, white dot
Titleist Vokey Design 54° "AW", Cleveland 588 60° "LW", Ping IWI Craz-E

Home Course: Falcon Dunes, Luke AFB, AZ

FUN WITH TACIT RACISM, HOMOPHOBIA, AGISM AND OTHER HORRENDOUS SOCIAL DISEASES! HOOORAY!

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

*****I didn't read the whole thread either....

I personally would not wear the clothes that Rickie Fowler wears, but I'm not 20 something, with 5% body fat.  Times change, clothing styles change, so what.  I can only imagine what my fathers generation was saying when shorts became popular at the golf course, but today you don't see anyone playing in pants in the middle of the summer.

I'm thinking to be as uptight as the gentlemen who wrote in to Golf World can't be very good for your health.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Originally Posted by Shorty

Someone has to do something about Fowler before this gets out of hand.

After a warning, he should be given a 2 stroke penalty for every hole he wears whilst dressed "innapropriately and without due respect for the game".

An official should ensure that his hair is at least 2 inches above his collar on the first tee, and haul him off or, better still, give him a regulation shave-down on te tee. If he misses his tee time whilst he's being shaved, too bad. 2 stroke penalty or DQ.

The PGA Tour should agree on an appropriate "colourway standard" and enforce it.

Drag him back to the locker room and hand him some approved golf wear if he doesn't comply.  He'll learn, don't worry.

Those penalty shots and and DQs will cost him and his sponsors cash.

I would also have his hotel room searched for hair straighteners.  That, in my book, is a 6 month ban from both the US And European tours.

Guys like Fowler and Ishikawa are destroying our great game.

If I'm watching from home and see these infractions on TV, can I call in and report it?  If I'm wearing my hat backwards when I do it, will will there be additional penalty strokes?

• Upvote 1

If I wear my hat backwards, does that make me a (insert insult here)?!?!?

I don't know, kids. I'm 30. I play golf. I'm a professional and my wife and I are pretty bohemian to say the least; maybe I'm an outlier in the golf world. Many of the takes about backwards hats, long hair, pink outfits etc. etc. just seem to be curmudgeonly, hateful points of view whether folks realize it or not.

• Upvote 1

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Originally Posted by madcityscott

I'm beginning to think golfers are the least tolerant group on earth.

But there's only one person who feels this way, and it's the guy in the article.

Anyone who judges Fowler because of his appearance is an idiot.

Payne Stewart dressed in an "outrageous" way, and he was one of the most unpleasant players to play on the PGA Tour, despite his posthumous reinvention as a great guy.

Poulter dresses in an outrageous way, but a lot of people don't like it because he has an abrasive, arrogant personality

Fowler dresses in an "outrageous" way, and is clearly one of the nicest guys out there.

More power to him. If he brings people to our game, we owe him a vote of thanks.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by inthehole

I'm a bit irritated by Ricky's image (not so much the hair, but those unbent straight rims on his hats - man I hate that), but wouldn't take it to the extreme as that guy you posted.     He has a unique look & that separates him from the crowd.      In the end, the guys got game, so he can back it up ...

I'm guessing you're not a big fan of Lou Piniella either, that guy was in baseball for 40+ years and still never figured out how to form a brim on a ball cap, drove me nuts.

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction." Ty Webb, Golf Philosopher

Note: This thread is 4755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!