IGNORED

Please Tell Me This Guy is in a SMALL Minority (Rickie Fowler GolfWorld Cover)

iacas
Note: This thread is 4781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rickie is my favorite player on tour right now. His style is cool, and can at least brighten up the golf course. Also his play, basing more on feel rather then technique, is a sign of a consistent golfer and he has proved that with his good play in the past year or so.

Originally Posted by jdotConnor

I think the main reasons it is a big deal is he does wear bright colors (whats the harm). He matches EVERYTHING (Hat, shirt, pants, shoes)..

No, the big deal is that flat brimmed rapper style hat he wears.     Look around & see who wears those kind of caps - it's 100% completely different crowd than who wears curved brim ball hats & I'll just leave it at that.     Wearing bright colors is part of the game, always has been - that is definitely not the issue.     Ok, he could use a haircut too, but I'll let that slide, the hat, no.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

I like how the subheadline trumpets that Rickie is talented, charismatic and respectful of the game, but Mr. Grant blows straight by this in his apoplexy about the kid's appearance. Apparently he exclusively judges things by their covers (before ripping them off and throwing them in the trash).

Very well said.  It tells you a lot about Mr. Grant's judgement, or lack thereof.

OK so the hat isn't something I'd sport myself, but how about that jacket?  I think it looks way cool, zipper and all.  I want one of those.

Rickie is a credit to the game, and not just because he's an excellent player.  We need more young guys like that in the U.S. so more power to him.  That would be the point.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by madcityscott

I'm beginning to think golfers are the least tolerant group on earth.

No... it's Al Qaeda... then golfers... then the Westboro Baptist Church.

Sheesh!

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

That's a completely logical line you just drew in the sand.  I won't wear a flat-brimmed hat, because I'm 33 and that's not the style I grew up with.  But my younger brother, and plenty of my younger friends are definitely wearing flat-brimmed hats, and it has nothing to do with "rapper style."

And what part of the Poconos has an apostrophe?

Originally Posted by inthehole

No, the big deal is that flat brimmed rapper style hat he wears.     Look around & see who wears those kind of caps - it's 100% completely different crowd than who wears curved brim ball hats & I'll just leave it at that.     Wearing bright colors is part of the game, always has been - that is definitely not the issue.     Ok, he could use a haircut too, but I'll let that slide, the hat, no.

Originally Posted by max power

That's a completely logical line you just drew in the sand.  I won't wear a flat-brimmed hat, because I'm 33 and that's not the style I grew up with.

At the onset of middle age, I went with the official old-guy boonie hat. Better sun protection and, hey, why fight it? No beef with painter caps etc. on the young bloods, but there are a couple of 50-ish dudes at our club trying to pull off the Rickie style right now and they look like complete tits.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

At the onset of middle age, I went with the official old-guy boonie hat. Better sun protection and, hey, why fight it? No beef with painter caps etc. on the young bloods, but there are a couple of 50-ish dudes at our club trying to pull off the Rickie style right now and they look like complete tits.

tits?  did someone say "tits"?  i love tits...

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

You won't let it slide - so then, you'll do what ?

And, tacit racism is way less excusable than any fashion faux pas; "...I'll just leave it at that."

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Originally Posted by ohiolefty

You won't let it slide - so then, you'll do what?

And, tacit racism is way less excusable than any fashion faux pas; "...I'll just leave it at that."

LOL - ok, whatever on the racism thing, thats your opinion, not mine.       In my case, it's more of an observation ... lets just say if you ever go to a nascar race, you won't see many flat brimmed hats - and conversely, I was on the NYC subway friday morning, and all I saw was flat brimmed hats ... so I believe hat style in this case has clearly become a cultural thing, YMMV

John

Why do people associate this as "rapper style"?  The X games crowd has been doing this for a while now to and that's why Rickie, Hunter and James Lepp of Kikkor golf wear hats like this.

LOL - ok, whatever on the racism thing, thats your opinion, not mine.       In my case, it's more of an observation ... lets just say if you ever go to a nascar race, you won't see many flat brimmed hats - and conversely, I was on the NYC subway friday morning, and all I saw was flat brimmed hats ... so I believe hat style in this case has clearly become a cultural thing, YMMV

So we go from tacit to explicit. Thanks.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Originally Posted by ohiolefty

So we go from tacit to explicit. Thanks.

You're welcome, glad I could clear that up for you.

PS - I'm curious, do you disagree that the type of ball cap one wears has become a culteral relection ?

John

You're welcome, glad I could clear that up for you.

PS - I'm curious, do you disagree that the type of ball cap one wears has become a culteral relection ?

Well - Hunter Mahan and the young (ahem, black or latino) folks you're seeing on the train aren't from the same culture.

Regardless, of course it is true that fashion is an artifact of culture. However, if someone is from a cultural group that differs from your own, does that mean they shouldn't be on a a golf course, or on television playing golf, or a role model to young junior golfers, etc. etc.? I think not.

Golf is a diverse sport. Young and old. Male and female. North, South, East, West. From the most urbane to the most crass. From the most urban to the most rural.

Instead of being a culture crusader, perhaps you could be glad that a new generation and/or new 'cultures' are embracing the game. That's my point. And, once again, the tacit racism in your whole argument (which you, by your own account whether you admit it or not, gladly embraced) is the thing with which I take issue.

P.S. - It's not a 'rapper' style hat. It's a "I grew up in the sticks riding dirtbikes and hitting the ball a mile even though I'm a tiny little fella" hat. If you can hit a 230 yard 4 iron stiff while rocking some Puma Romas with golf spikes glued on the bottom, you can wear a Darth Vader mask and hot pants for all I care.

• Upvote 1

I have no problem with golf being a diverse sport - I like Ricky, I even root for him (he's my wife's favorite golfer).      In my younger band days, I had long hair too, so as I said, I'll let that slide & chock it up to youth.      Flat brimmed hats on a golf professionals ... nope, just don't like to see it

EDIT:  I guess Ricky doesn't much care what I think ... looks like anyone can buy his hat ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/PUMA-RICKIE-FOWLER-MONOLINE-FITTED-HAT-ORANGE-SMALL-MED_W0QQitemZ140517397983QQcategoryZ158937QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D140517398698%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7556190326419397876

John

Just an FYI, it isnt a rapper hat.  Fowler is a motocross guy, they all wear their hats like that.

In the bag:

Driver:      titleist.gif 905S 9.5*
3 Wood:   callaway.gif FTi
Hybrid:     nike.gif 2Irons:       titleist.gif 710 CB 3-PWWedges:  titleist.gif Vokey 52* - 56*Putter:      ping.gif Gi5

I wear a white nike dri-fit hat with a bent bill to play golf in.

I wear a black fitted DC Shoe Co. hat with a flat bill when off the golf course.

I forgot my nike hat today and wore my DC hat. I am Caucasian with pale skin and blue eyes that are very sensitive to the sun but can't stand sunglasses.

I noticed the fitted flat brim hat gave me better sun coverage today. That COULD be a reason too.

PS, I hate almost all rap and hip hop. I am an RN Student.

OG Hoofer bag
Titleist 905R 9.5°, Grapite Design YS-6+ (S)
Callaway Warbird 4 wood, Grafalloy ProLaunch 65S
Ping ISI-s: JZ Cushin Regular flex, white dot
Titleist Vokey Design 54° "AW", Cleveland 588 60° "LW", Ping IWI Craz-E

Home Course: Falcon Dunes, Luke AFB, AZ

Originally Posted by jdotConnor

I wear a white nike dri-fit hat with a bent bill to play golf in.

I wear a black fitted DC Shoe Co. hat with a flat bill when off the golf course.

I forgot my nike hat today and wore my DC hat. I am Caucasian with pale skin and blue eyes that are very sensitive to the sun but can't stand sunglasses.

I noticed the fitted flat brim hat gave me better sun coverage today. That COULD be a reason too.

PS, I hate almost all rap and hip hop. I am an RN Student.

I highly doubt these guys are thinking about sun coverage...

Originally Posted by iacas

Mr. Russell: The February 14 issue had the most disgusting cover I have ever seen on your magazine in all the years I have been a subscriber. I immediately ripped off the cover and threw it in the trash can. Are we that desperate to find a replacement for Tiger that we have to promote a kid who can't find his way to a barbershop or wear decent clothes to play this great game of ours. He can't even put his hat on straight to pose for a magazine cover. If this is what your magazine wants to promote maybe it's time for me to consider the other weekly publication.

John L. Grant, Crest Hill, IL

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/blogs/golf-editors/2011/02/that-golf-world-cover.html

Please, someone, tell me this is total crap and there are maybe three people out there who think similarly to this guy?

"Disgusting"? Seriously? It's not like the guy's out there disrespecting the game, his fellow competitors, the fans, sponsors, etc. He dresses differently than you.

I hope to $_DEITY I never feel like John L. Grant of Crest Hill, IL. (Though I reserve the right for wearing your pants halfway down your legs... for reasons of practicality! :-D)

P.S. And, come to think of it, I don't even care about wearing pants around your knees. I just choose not to do that myself. What someone else wants to do is their business.

I cant lie. I do hate the Justin Beiber hair. But I dont care. We need somebody who can play to help us win the damn ryder cup again.

Note: This thread is 4781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!