IGNORED

Please Tell Me This Guy is in a SMALL Minority (Rickie Fowler GolfWorld Cover)

iacas
Note: This thread is 4783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes, you wonder about his fashion statements, and the hair comes across as odd because that style isn't meant to be worn under a ball cap, but so what?

From all reports, he's a considerate, well-mannered young man.

He has game and the potential to be a star.

He is a person who is carving out an individual identity (I guess we would say "brand" these days), which is what golf needs more of after having mistakenly ridden on Tiger's coattails for so long.

Go, Ricky.

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

Yes, you wonder about his fashion statements, and the hair comes across as odd because that style isn't meant to be worn under a ball cap, but so what?

Says who, the fashion police?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Bigtank

Just an FYI the flat brimmed hats were not started by the "gangsta rappers" but baseball players.  The Basball crew in the 59/50 hats (the fitted MLB hats) have been wearing the flat brims for 20 years+ long before the Rap Community.  The baseballers wore them flat brimmed so the could fit the flip up sunglasses underneath.  Then you saw the pitchers wearing them slightly off center so that it sheilded their eyes from the sun, when looking to 1st or 3rd in their wind up..

How it made the transition i dont know, i think it had alot to do with rep'ing their city or hood?

Rickie Fowler is exactly what golf needs, a shot in the arm.  i remember not to long ago people complaining about Payne Stewart's loud NFL gear too.  Fowler is a good kid with his head on straight, and sounds like this crumudgeon is just jealous that this kid can beat him by 40 some strokes.

This is true on the hat situation.  I have played ball my whole life and had scholarship offers to many D1 schools until I broke my leg.  I have always worn a flat billed for the stated reasons above.  But I couldn't wear it out of the diamond because the majority of the population would think I'm trying to me a "rapper".

Rickie seems to be just as good of a guy as you would want.  Until he does something to ruin that I think everyone should respect him and the game he has in his early 20's

I actually think long hair like that looks better under a hat.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Just an FYI the flat brimmed hats were not started by the "gangsta rappers" but baseball players.  The Basball crew in the 59/50 hats (the fitted MLB hats) have been wearing the flat brims for 20 years+ long before the Rap Community.  The baseballers wore them flat brimmed so the could fit the flip up sunglasses underneath.  Then you saw the pitchers wearing them slightly off center so that it sheilded their eyes from the sun, when looking to 1st or 3rd in their wind up..

How it made the transition i dont know, i think it had alot to do with rep'ing their city or hood?

True, just like some gangster fashion came from basketball. Although in turn, some of basketball fashion was then influenced by other unrelated gangster fashion. [edit] Fixed formatting error.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I think there should be a law that states that anytime you see somebody wearing there pants down past the crack of their hind end on purpose....you should be allowed to kick them in said hind end as hard as you can. As far as the hats go....they just look like 100% pure jacka$$es with the flat bill and 4 sizes too big draped over the ears. That's my opinion , what's yours?

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

1. Not a big fan of Fowler, but I don't dislike him at all either.

2. His style is definitely not what's cool to me.

3. That being said, I have absolutely zero problem with him or the way he dresses, and I think his approach is great for the game overall. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean I automatically have to be a hater either.

4. I'll turn my hat backwards after a couple of bad shots, just to do something stupid for a minute to take my mind off of the bad shot and lighten everything up. Who cares?

5. Fowler's sky blue or tangerine orange > Weekley's stupid camo.

6. Comments such as the one quoted in the original post are signs of insufferable, perennially grumpy old men who are better off just dropping the game altogether. Because, well, it's a game, and if you're not having fun, maybe it's just time to give it up. The whole Civil War re-enactment thing might better suit him. Maybe he'll have more fun there, and he can rest easy knowing he'll never see a backwards hat or bright colors.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Fashion advisors, actually. The cap does not show off that hair style to its best advantage.

A cap is pretty common on a golf course, so it wouldn't be unheard of for the players to wear them. Then again, not wearing a cap would probably attract even more attention.

Which hair styles are shown off by wearing a baseball cap? Baldness perhaps.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by iacas

Mr. Russell: The February 14 issue had the most disgusting cover I have ever seen on your magazine in all the years I have been a subscriber. I immediately ripped off the cover and threw it in the trash can. Are we that desperate to find a replacement for Tiger that we have to promote a kid who can't find his way to a barbershop or wear decent clothes to play this great game of ours. He can't even put his hat on straight to pose for a magazine cover. If this is what your magazine wants to promote maybe it's time for me to consider the other weekly publication.

John L. Grant, Crest Hill, IL

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/blogs/golf-editors/2011/02/that-golf-world-cover.html

Please, someone, tell me this is total crap and there are maybe three people out there who think similarly to this guy?

"Disgusting"? Seriously? It's not like the guy's out there disrespecting the game, his fellow competitors, the fans, sponsors, etc. He dresses differently than you.

I hope to $_DEITY I never feel like John L. Grant of Crest Hill, IL. (Though I reserve the right for wearing your pants halfway down your legs... for reasons of practicality! :-D)

P.S. And, come to think of it, I don't even care about wearing pants around your knees. I just choose not to do that myself. What someone else wants to do is their business.

If I were Rickie Fowler, my response would be as follows:

Mr. Grant:

No one gives a f*** what you think.  Sorry none of your kids look like you.

Sincerely,

Rickie Fowler

Juvenile, yes, but it would definitely rattle that prick's cage.

Originally Posted by cougar978

If I were Rickie Fowler, my response would be as follows:

Mr. Grant:

No one gives a f*** what you think.  Sorry none of your kids look like you.

Sincerely,

Rickie Fowler

Juvenile, yes, but it would definitely rattle that prick's cage.

If you were Ricky Fowler you probably wouldn't do that.

You guys sound at least as bad as the guy who wrote the letter.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I would rather focus on more concrete concerns, such as whether the tips on the new uber-light golf shafts are so soft that the average golfer will spray it all over the place.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

The day golf becomes more about fashion than talent and scoring, I will politely walk away and leave it to the John L Grants out there.

P.S.  I'm sure Mr. Grant's comment would REALLY bother Ricky!

I think Fowler is a good player and a nice guy. I enjoy watching him because he seems to enjoy what he does. He seems to relate well to the fans, especially the younger ones which is good for the game.

I have to admit, I don't care for the "painters hats" on him or anybody else, but that is just my preference.  I don't think we will be seeing the low pants on the tour and certainly not at Augusta; the powers that be will take care of that.  As to the colors, don't know how old Mr. Grant is, but apparently he doesn't remember the seventies. I was a teenager then and we wore some colors that would make Ricky seem at least normal if not a bit conservative. Dig out some old Golf Digest magazines from the seventies and you will see colors (and some hair) on the PGA tour that rival Fowler, Poulter, and Daly. In fact, some of the styles made their way to the boardrooms of the "hip" in those days!  Oh, and flared pants legs that almost covered the shoes. And who can forget the big leg "miami vice" pants from the 80's.  I remember a commentator on the British Open (windy) saying one golfer had enough fabric in his pants to outfit a small sailboat.  Fashion is cyclical and it is no surprise that trends re-emerge now and then.

• Upvote 1

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 4783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!