IGNORED

Brandel Chamblee Is the Biggest Tiger Hater

franky21
Note: This thread is 3878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have to agree with the OP.  We spend too much time criticizing Tiger because he was so dominant for so long.  Kaymer and Graeme didn't make the cut, but there was no mention.  I do think it is a personal thing between some announcers and Tiger.  I would like to see the coverage spend more on the player doing well.

I didn't watch that much golf when Jack was fading, but I never recall him getting this kind of grief.  Tiger is looking to get a swing that doesn't strain his body like his old swing did.  He may never get it back, but he deserves to try what he thinks is best, not Chamblee or Faldo.

As for infidelity, that goes hand in hand with Pro athletes.  Tiger has had only one wife and one divorce.  Faldo, Normal, currently at 3.  Many, many players have been divorced at least once.  Tiger is certainly not the only one, just the most publicized.

At first I thought poorly of Tiger.  But now I feel sorry for him and hope he gets it back because of all the haters.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's more or less the way I feel.  The whole "hater" vs. "non-hater" thing is a canard and pretty tiresome to boot.  It isn't that simple, never was.  TW has earned an honest and fair appraisal of his game, esp. by those who are supposedly paid to provide commentary about what is really happening out there on the course, on the day (along with appropriate background material of course).  But some people just can't ever get it right if you know what I mean.  It's like a c**p pilot trying to fly the glideslope on an instrument approach - they're always too high or too low, never on the crosshair ("in the donut") when it comes to TW.  The image I'm trying to get across is one of (repeated) overcompensation for previous errors that results in a truly miserable body of work, hopefully not also to a prang on or near the runway surface.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I actually made a thread on Chamblee like 6 months ago because i have always thought that he is a huge Tiger hater. There is no perfect swing in my opinion and he did fall 3 birdies short from winning the masters if i remember clearly. So his swing is fine just needs some practice. I remember i was watching a tournament that Chamblee was announcing and Tiger hit a poor drive and he started bashing him like he shouldn't be hitting bad shots. Well his second shot was behind a tree and still had a wood to the green and the green was surrounded by water Tiger hit a amazing shot and Chamblee didn't say a single word and i couldn't believe that he couldn't say wow what a amazing shot. I can't even hear him talk because he can't give the guy credit when credit is due but he is quick to talk negative. There is a big difference in giving your opinion like Frank Nobilo does and the way Chamblee does it. Frank gives his opinion ans Chamblee pretty much saids i can't stand the guy. I think Chamblee is a idiot and i can't stand hearing his voice.

I actually have to give Brandel a lot of credit. He has not wavered on his opinion since day one. I also agree with his assessment on Tiger going back to what worked in the past making him the most dominant player in the history of the game along with Jack. The fact that Brandel makes the comment that we are all thinking makes me really want to listen to what he has to say. His remarks may have been a little shocking to the golfing world, but IMO he was stating the obvious. It is akin to saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I can never remember a time when Tiger's swing was broke until now.

What gives Brandel the right to criticize and be the expert? The same thing that gives us the right to do it, except that Brandel gets paid to do it. I hate to say it, but those of you that doubt his knowledge of the golf swing really don't appreciate what it takes to get to the PGA Tour and become a top 100 player. That fact alone puts him in rarefied air in the pyramid of golf (ie Paper Tiger).

Another point about Brandel is that while I may not always agree with the guy, I know he does his homework. Heck, the guy reads the SandTrap and even posted a comment on this topic. More importantly, whether you want to believe it or not, he is a golf insider and has access to firsthand information.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I actually have to give Brandel a lot of credit. He has not wavered on his opinion since day one. I also agree with his assessment on Tiger going back to what worked in the past making him the most dominant player in the history of the game along with Jack. The fact that Brandel makes the comment that we are all thinking makes me really want to listen to what he has to say. His remarks may have been a little shocking to the golfing world, but IMO he was stating the obvious. It is akin to saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I can never remember a time when Tiger's swing was broke until now.

What gives Brandel the right to criticize and be the expert? The same thing that gives us the right to do it, except that Brandel gets paid to do it. I hate to say it, but those of you that doubt his knowledge of the golf swing really don't appreciate what it takes to get to the PGA Tour and become a top 100 player. That fact alone puts him in rarefied air in the pyramid of golf (ie Paper Tiger).

Another point about Brandel is that while I may not always agree with the guy, I know he does his homework. Heck, the guy reads the SandTrap and even posted a comment on this topic. More importantly, whether you want to believe it or not, he is a golf insider and has access to firsthand information.

It certainly wasn't the greatest.  Correct me If im wrong but I think Tiger won at Firestone a few years being dead last in driving accuracy.  Ever since I started watching golf (about 5 years ago) I never remember Tiger being an accurate driver.  What set him apart was his irons and his short game.  Tiger is still a good iron player and you have to figure his short game will only get better with time.  Any golfer whos undergone swing changes knows it takes time, Martin Kaymer is getting a break now because he's undergoing swing changes, and he's certainly had more time to practice them than Tiger.

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

Originally Posted by tmf9

It certainly wasn't the greatest.  Correct me If im wrong but I think Tiger won at Firestone a few years being dead last in driving accuracy.  Ever since I started watching golf (about 5 years ago) I never remember Tiger being an accurate driver.  What set him apart was his irons and his short game.  Tiger is still a good iron player and you have to figure his short game will only get better with time.  Any golfer whos undergone swing changes knows it takes time, Martin Kaymer is getting a break now because he's undergoing swing changes, and he's certainly had more time to practice them than Tiger.

I don't know...let's see...97 Masters...lapping the field at the US Open...14 majors... 6 Us Ams...would you change that winning formula for a couple more fairways? As far as Kaymer goes, he isn't even on the same planet as Woods, in fact, there was more distance between Phil and Tiger (2 and 1 in rankings) than there was between Phil and # 100.  The guy was untouchable, why he felt he needed to overhaul (not tweak) is beyond me and apparently Brandel Chamblee as well. I seriously don't understand the thinking.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I mean I dont think Tiger is going to break Jack's Record anymore, but good lord I don't think I've heard him say one postive thing about Tiger recently, give the guy a break he's had hardly any practice and he's coming off a 4 month layoff...geez

To answer the question, I don't think I have heard anything positive either. As far as Jack's record goes, I think he needs to go back to what got him there in the first place, then pick off a few more majors. There is no question in my mind that if Tiger gets close to his old form he could do it.

I don't know...let's see...97 Masters...lapping the field at the US Open...14 majors... 6 Us Ams...would you change that winning formula for a couple more fairways? As far as Kaymer goes, he isn't even on the same planet as Woods, in fact, there was more distance between Phil and Tiger (2 and 1 in rankings) than there was between Phil and # 100.  The guy was untouchable, why he felt he needed to overhaul (not tweak) is beyond me and apparently Brandel Chamblee as well. I seriously don't understand the thinking.

Tiger wanted to change swings because he thought he could improve accuracy and distance wise (not to mention his old swing made his knee the mess it is) people like Tiger are never satisfied with what they have, they always want more.  Lee Travino said that about Tiger and it really is the truth.  Wether that is a good thing or not for the rest of his career remains to be seen.

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

So do you think Foley is the guy?

I totally agree with you Tiger has never been a accurate driver, what set him apart was the was he would shape his shots to get them on the green and the way he got up and down from practically anywhere on the course. He has never won pretty he has never been on top on the weekday. How is Tiger's swing broken the guy almost won the Masters and it wasn't his swing it was his putter that let him down. How can anyone criticize  his swing saying his wrist is cupped or his knees are way to flexed. Look at the swings on tour all that matters is that the club is square at impact. Tiger hasn't been able to practice. I have no problem with Chamblee giving his opinion but he doesn't like Tiger at all and bashes him in a way that is ridiculous. If you are going to bash his swing might as well go after Furyk, and take some shots at Dustin and Graeme for having there wrists cupped as well.

So do you think Foley is the guy?

That I don't know im not very familiar with Foley but I can tell you I don't think its Haney.  I think Butch would be best, but that would never happen.

• Upvote 1

What's in my bag?

That I don't know im not very familiar with Foley but I can tell you I don't think its Haney.  I think Butch would be best, but that would never happen.

I agree 100%.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I can never remember a time when Tiger's swing was broke until now.

To the extent that Tiger's problems are bodily (physical/medical) ones, that prolly wouldn't be very good advice would it?

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by bobsuruncle

My take:

2. I like both Brandle and Frank Nobilo as analysts.  I don't buy the idea that you have to be a good player to know the theories and mechanics of a swing.  The best coaches in the world in most any sports you care to name (football, baseball, soccer, etc), were never the best players.  Why should golf be different?  Was Butch No. 1 in the world? and how about Hank?  Even Stan Utley couldn't consistently stay on tour year after year.  No one is slamming those guys as swing gurus.  They not only "analyze / comment on" swings, they actually teach swings.

Bit that is the point.  I haven't heard of ANY pros clamoring after Chamblee to be their swing coach.  And there are announcers who are respected enough to be swing coaches.  For example, Peter Kostis is Paul Casey's swing coach.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Wasn't Kostis a swing coach and putter designer for years before appearing on TV? That's what I recall, but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by turtleback

Bit that is the point.  I haven't heard of ANY pros clamoring after Chamblee to be their swing coach.  And there are announcers who are respected enough to be swing coaches.  For example, Peter Kostis is Paul Casey's swing coach.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by WUTiger

A bigger Tiger hater than Brandel Chamblee? I think several fellow Sand Trappers have outdone Chamblee in the past.

Chamblee knows something about a golf swing - he was among the top 100 money winners for six years running on the PGA tour. But, I'm not sure his analysis is worth that much more - or less - than any other announcer's.

And, I find the philosophical debate about whether Stack-N-Tilt deserves its own phylum in golf's swing kingdom to be tiresome. Quite a few teaching pros use Stack-N-Tilt, and it works quite well for some golfers - I sense SnT may work best for people with a certain learning style. We'll know for sure in a few years when kids raised on SnT start playing in college and on the pro tour, and whether they win or not.

A look at Chamblee's history shows he had a son die as a child, lost his PGA tour card in 2003, and cited credible family concerns for walking away from the tour. His Golf Channel gig, as he pointed out, requires him to be on the road 60 days a year, as opposed to 180 days as a tour pro. And, Tiger's family troubles and infidelity may be a psychological rub point for a family guy like BC.

Remember that the Golf Channel has problems of peaks and valleys in its programming quality, thus BC likely has a general tasking from his bosses to "be interesting." So, discussion of TW is a way to stir up controversy, so why not do it.

Links on Chamblee:

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandel_Chamblee

BC's rather thoughtful "Farewell to PGA" column: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/web/COM1001442/index.htm

Nice post.

I just wanted to add to the thread that--at least from my view--the biggest punching bag so far this golf season has been Sean Foley... even moreso than Tiger himself.  Golf analysts and reporters have been taking shots at him all season it seems.

I also don't understand the compulsion people have (reporters, fans, analysts, golfers) to rush to judge Tiger's performance and make broad declarations on his future success based on one tournament a couple weeks after a 3-4 month injury layoff.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Nice post.

I just wanted to add to the thread that--at least from my view--the biggest punching bag so far this golf season has been Sean Foley... even moreso than Tiger himself. Golf analysts and reporters have been taking shots at him all season it seems.

I also don't understand the compulsion people have (reporters, fans, analysts, golfers) to rush to judge Tiger's performance and make broad declarations on his future success based on one tournament a couple weeks after a 3-4 month injury layoff.

Brandon

Especially in the mainstream sports media. The common theme on ESPN seems to be that Tiger's swing was perfection with Hank Haney, up and to the point that Haney dumped him (another often-forgotten fact).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 3878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!