IGNORED

Hitting Up or Down with the Driver in an Inline Pattern

iacas
Note: This thread is 1498 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Well then I would choose a X stiffer shaft with a 12 degree head. I would be more worryed about not getting that draw to come back. Not all courses are modern. The older ones are smaller and more challenging with more narrow fairways.

Huh? You're completely missing the point here. The point is that we gained 18 yards by going from -1.7° to +5.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No I am not missing the point. The point is git the ball up in the air -but in the center of the fairway when it comes down. I would say your point would be better served if you said something like the lower rpm indicates better energy into the directional vector as rotational energy was conserved. Now that would be a situation where a 12 might increase spin. But that can be different for different folks. Most are served well by higher trajectory though.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Well then I would choose a X stiffer shaft with a 12 degree head. I would be more worryed about not getting that draw to come back. Not all courses are modern. The older ones are smaller and more challenging with more narrow fairways.

Huh?

Hitting up doesn't necessarily lead to less control or hitting less fairways. If that's what you're trying to say.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
No I am not missing the point. The point is git the ball up in the air -but in the center of the fairway when it comes down. I would say your point would be better served if you said something like the lower rpm indicates better energy into the directional vector as rotational energy was conserved.

Both of these balls were in the fairway. So again, you seem to be missing the point. 18 yards farther. -2 to +5 gained 18 yards at this clubhead speed.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[quote name="trickyputt" url="/t/44307/hitting-up-or-down-with-the-driver-in-an-inline-pattern/240#post_1096320"]No I am not missing the point. The point is git the ball up in the air -but in the center of the fairway when it comes down. I would say your point would be better served if you said something like the lower rpm indicates better energy into the directional vector as rotational energy was conserved.

Both of these balls were in the fairway. So again, you seem to be missing the point. 18 yards farther. -2 to +5 gained 18 yards at this clubhead speed.[/quote] I get it. You should have been using a 10.5 driver or hitting up on a 9.5. Hey lookit- I have 3 Cally heads. 8.5, 9.5, 10.5. I just wanted to know, you know? I have to hit up on a 9.5 myself. The 8.5 is not possible for me as the swing necessary to drive it is too far outside my box. I can have most consistentcy with the 10.5 as it is a swing not that far from the swing I use on my other clubs. Its good to hit up. I GET THAT. but is a radically different swing from all other clubs except putter and once its in your head you are screwed into the ground like a red hazard stake. I did like the dashboard images on the first posts though. What was that? Some iphone app? BtW I will sell that set of Razr fit Xtremes..the 8.5 is like new.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

• Administrator
I get it. You should have been using a 10.5 driver or hitting up on a 9.5.

Agree to disagree? Not sure what a 10.5 has to do with anything. More spin. 9.5 launched at 17.8.

I get it. You should have been using a 10.5 driver or hitting up on a 9.5.

Why? The idea was to test was to test the effects of hitting up. This wasn't a test of trying to optimize a driver fitting. The results shown have matched the results of a lot of similar tests. If you take your current driver, and if you hit more up on the ball, you will most likely see an increase in launch angle, decrease in spin rate, and increase in distance.

This has nothing to do with testing between 10.5 and 9.5. Really you can't even do that.

Hitting down with 10.5 degree, you will have higher spin loft and you will lower the launch angle. Than hitting up with a 9.5 degree driver.

So lets say you have 3000 rpm, 12 degrees of loft, with a -1.5 angle of attack swinging down on a 10.5 degree driver. If you switch to a 9.5, but increase your angle of attack to a +5 you would probably see low 2000 rpm spin rate and a launch angle of near 15-16 degrees. You would probably see 15-20 yards increase in distance. Really that 1.5 degree does not mean much at all. In terms of numbers 1.5 degrees is about 400-500 rpm and about 1 degree of launch angle change. In the grand scheme of things that isn't that big of a deal.

but is a radically different swing from all other clubs except putter and once its in your head you are screwed into the ground like a red hazard stake.

Nope, not really. It isn't hard to swing differently with the driver. Heck all it takes is a set up change. It isn't that radical, and it doesn't hurt the other aspects of your game.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

but is a radically different swing from all other clubs except putter and once its in your head you are screwed into the ground like a red hazard stake. I did like the dashboard images on the first posts though.

You said you read the first post in the thread so you know it's not a radical change , it's just a set-up adjustment.

Mike McLoughlin

Yes it is different, and thus dangerous to my game. I have seen people kill it past me and maybe thats what they were doing because they hit 9s, but lately the 10.5 is just enough loft with the least setup change to get the height I want for the longest flight I have ever achieved. It takes a big eyed Ohio State fan to say a 45 inch driver swings like a 38 inch 5 iron. But they believe in miracles.

Tom R.

It takes a big eyed Ohio State fan to say a 45 inch driver swings like a 38 inch 5 iron. But they believe in miracles.

That is not even close to what he said. I would just keep doing what you are doing, since it seems to be working very well for you and just ignore this thread. You have nothing to learn here.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

It takes a big eyed Ohio State fan to say a 45 inch driver swings like a 38 inch 5 iron. But they believe in miracles.

Come on man. That isn't what I was saying. If it bothers your swing then don't do it. No one is saying you have to change your swing. Just because you struggle with it doesn't mean it is a dangerous change for everyone's swings.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

[quote name="trickyputt" url="/t/44307/hitting-up-or-down-with-the-driver-in-an-inline-pattern/252#post_1096358"] It takes a big eyed Ohio State fan to say a 45 inch driver swings like a 38 inch 5 iron. But they believe in miracles.

Come on man. That isn't what I was saying. If it bothers your swing then don't do it. No one is saying you have to change your swing. Just because you struggle with it doesn't mean it is a dangerous change for everyone's swings.[/quote] I know, just pickin on you. Of course its not bad for everyone. I could not tell somebody to just up and change, or that this demonstration is somehow detrimental to them because it is not, and is in fact a very important point. But inside these numbers is another very important point, that is that a few degrees makes a big difference and that those degrees of AoA one might change have a relationship to the other aspects a golfer needs overall. Its a good isolation of one variable as a demonstration, though I would think anybody trying it out would care to be aware of how changing a few degrees AoA might effect their setup, shot shape or other mental imagery especially as it is physically effected by something like say an unlevel tee box. Just because I run a lowest common denominator swing through driver or have my interest in the "scheme of things" whole swing placement of a demonstration such as this one certainly doesnt mean someone with better hand-eye coordination or swing skills should follow this lemming off a cliff. I do have a bias toward letting my tools do a job for me. If I changed anything to achieve numbers like this with an aim toward only moderate swing changes, it would be the introduction of 3" tees into my bag instead of the 2". Possibly even taller ones, but 3 should be a magic number for me.

Tom R.

Its a good isolation of one variable as a demonstration, though I would think anybody trying it out would care to be aware of how changing a few degrees AoA might effect their setup, shot shape or other mental imagery especially as it is physically effected by something like say an unlevel tee box. Just because I run a lowest common denominator swing through driver or have my interest in the "scheme of things" whole swing placement of a demonstration such as this one certainly doesnt mean someone with better hand-eye coordination or swing skills should follow this lemming off a cliff. .

Dude, it's basically just playing the ball more forward so golfers can be a little more "optimal" with their driver. It doesn't require more or less hand eye coordination, you're making this way more complicated than it actually is.

Mike McLoughlin

I know, just pickin on you. Of course its not bad for everyone. I could not tell somebody to just up and change, or that this demonstration is somehow detrimental to them because it is not, and is in fact a very important point. But inside these numbers is another very important point, that is that a few degrees makes a big difference and that those degrees of AoA one might change have a relationship to the other aspects a golfer needs overall. Its a good isolation of one variable as a demonstration, though I would think anybody trying it out would care to be aware of how changing a few degrees AoA might effect their setup, shot shape or other mental imagery especially as it is physically effected by something like say an unlevel tee box. Just because I run a lowest common denominator swing through driver or have my interest in the "scheme of things" whole swing placement of a demonstration such as this one certainly doesnt mean someone with better hand-eye coordination or swing skills should follow this lemming off a cliff. I do have a bias toward letting my tools do a job for me. If I changed anything to achieve numbers like this with an aim toward only moderate swing changes, it would be the introduction of 3" tees into my bag instead of the 2". Possibly even taller ones, but 3 should be a magic number for me.

It's such good advice they are even advertising it on the GC

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

It's such good advice they are even advertising it on the GC

I'd be careful in saying that it's good advice because they advertise it on GC... They also advertise a lot of crap. Hitting up with the driver is good advice, but not because GC said so.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I'd be careful in saying that it's good advice because they advertise it on GC... They also advertise a lot of crap. Hitting up with the driver is good advice, but not because GC said so.

True, but when GC actually puts up good advice it is a big thing! :-D The issue is you can really tell what is good advice and what is bad advice. :hmm:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

[quote name="trickyputt" url="/t/44307/hitting-up-or-down-with-the-driver-in-an-inline-pattern/240#post_1096461"] Its a good isolation of one variable as a demonstration, though I would think anybody trying it out would care to be aware of how changing a few degrees AoA might effect their setup, shot shape or other mental imagery especially as it is physically effected by something like say an unlevel tee box. Just because I run a lowest common denominator swing through driver or have my interest in the "scheme of things" whole swing placement of a demonstration such as this one certainly doesnt mean someone with better hand-eye coordination or swing skills should follow this lemming off a cliff. .

Dude, it's basically just playing the ball more forward so golfers can be a little more "optimal" with their driver. It doesn't require more or less hand eye coordination, you're making this way more complicated than it actually is.[/quote] Well yeah and that is why I brought up tee position in one of the earliest posts. What I run into is the usual spray when I try to get the longest, baddest, most energetic and overall longest swing into my game. I have tried for years to get it all but I have to keep coming back to accuracy as a empirical principle of my game. I still mean to read that bit of writing on how the lowest score wins that is floating around here, but I suspect it will be during a post BBQ session following a warm weather round of 36 holes. Its good to have a hobby where there is always something to learn. I don't think I am complicating things however, as the OP had measurements of one tenth of one degree on display, and rpms on a golf ball that could only be measured with equipment using electromagnetic beams as sensors. I feel like a luddite around here with the detail of knowledge that is so often presented casually, but is in fact hyperdetailed.

Tom R.

What I run into is the usual spray when I try to get the longest, baddest, most energetic and overall longest swing into my game.

Ok gotcha but let's not confuse that with hitting up a couple degrees ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 1498 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!