IGNORED

Whats your range routine?

Note: This thread is 4776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It varies a little for me but normally after a stretch, I'll start with some half wedge shots and move that up to a full swing.  After that I'll hit some 8 irons then a 5 or 6 iron and finally the driver.  After that I hit a few shots going back and forth between clubs or "play" a round on the range where I'll hit a driver, then an iron, hit a pitch, etc.

Once I'm done hitting balls I'll chip for a while and then putt.  I tend to hit a lot of balls because I can... I pay $30/mo and I get all the range I want so I take advantage of it.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If it is before a round, I usually go in this order of clubs.  9 - 7 - 4 - 6 - 8.  That is my typical progression for a small 30-35 ball bucket.  Depending on the course, I might hit a few hybrids in there as well if it is a course that I know I will use it a few times.  With the last few balls with the 8, I will hit different shots; fade, draw, high, low, just to get a quick feel for them on the day.  I am just looking to warm up, not practice.  If the course has larger buckets, unlimited range balls, or if I have extra time, I will hit some wedges, drivers, 3-woods.

If I just go to the range to practice or for fun, I will use pretty much the same order to start, then just determine the rest as I go.  I don't go to the range enough (other than warm ups) to have a particular schedule.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I really don't have a routine just warm up with a few sw and then a couple of 8 irons and then I try to play golf on the range different club for every shot and actually try to play my home course on the range.

Home course: www.tupelocountryclub.org

If you're referring to a pre-round warm up, I usually take a 30 ball bucket and split it up as:

5 pitch shots to the 55 yard flag

5 full swings with my 54 and 58

10 PW / 8i / 6i / 4i

4 full swings with my 2h and 3w

3-4 driver

1-2 cool down pitch shots

After that I go over to the pitching / chipping green for 15 minutes, 10 minutes putting and I'm off.

I never hit my driver at the range.  I feel like it's easier to work on swing mechanics with shorter clubs.  The more repetition I do with longer clubs, the more my swing gets out of whack.  Every so often I will hit a few 3 woods or 5 woods, but it's mostly irons when I'm at the range, and never a driver.  Go figure, driving was the most consistent part of my game last year....

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

I started this thread to gather some ideas to develop a good routine for my times at the range when Im not going to the course that day.  I usually never go to the range before a round.  When I go to the range I feel like I always run out of balls before I get to hit what I want.  If I set a certain amount of balls to a certain club I will end up messing up that routine because I wont hit a club as well as I want and end up going over that ball limit I set for myself by hitting that club more.

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

Most of my practice sessions are to work on a particular club, swing characteristic, etc.  So, just a couple of things that help me:

• I write down what I observed or learned.  Then I transcribe the note(s) to a computer file when I get home.  This helps me remember what I learned.
  • I often use impact labels; these show me where the club face met the ball.  The ones I use are called 'Longshot'.  Then I peel off the labels and stick them to a piece of paper for recording and comparing to a future session.  Here is a typical result:

Impacts from Marti practice 4-28-2010.jpg

I learn a lot with these stickers.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

This is pretty typical...

Chipping/pitching...50 reps

sand...5-10

half shots/full shots with wedge...10

scoring iron...10-20

mid/long iron...10

wood/hybrid off ground or tee...10

Driver...5-10

60/54 wedge...finish balls

putting...3-4 footers, 10 footers, long putts, 3 footers

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

On the range:

5-8 balls each starting with the gap wedge and work my way up the odd number irons

5-8 balls with each wood

5-8 balls each starting with the 4i and work my way down the even number irons

If there are balls left, I will pick a specific target and then a club to try and hit the target, including woods.

Before play:

Screw it, I'm to excited to play to spend time warming up, games on!

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Note: This thread is 4776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!