IGNORED

Marijuana use and the golf game

tanktwo2
Note: This thread is 2708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by meenman

The stoners on this board are not using it for *medicinal* purposes. Only a stoner would argue for the legalization of pot.

They should be locked up as any other criminal should be, You do not get to choose which laws to obey and which to ignore. If you dont like a law, work for its change. But while it is illegal, you should have to pay the legal consequences if caught.

As much as the stoners want to argue otherwise - pot is no different than any other illegal drug other than the fact that you really cant overdose on it. All drugs involve illegal trafficking and the support of criminal enterprise. You also can not argue the fact that pot is usually a stepping stone for those on the wrong track. Most teenagers dont start with coke or heroin - they build their way up to it.

Spoken like a typical stiff.  The only reason marijuana involves illegal trafficking and support of the criminal enterprize is because it's illegal.  If they would legalize it, people could grow it themselves or sell it in stores like cigarettes and there would be no reason to traffic it.  As for being a stepping stone, alcohol will do that just as easily.  I smoked pot for years and never ever thought of touching anything else.

3 thoughts.....

1.  Number of deaths from drinking too much alcohol last year......more than one

Number of deaths from smoking too much weed in the history of time....ZERO

2.  It''s not only stoner's who are arguing its legality.  I haven't smoked in years.....

3. Marijuana is no different than other drugs?  Weed grows from the ground, God's earth....Meth, cocaine, etc are manufactured and cut with dangerous chemicals....

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

The stoners on this board are not using it for *medicinal* purposes. Only a stoner would argue for the legalization of pot.

They should be locked up as any other criminal should be, You do not get to choose which laws to obey and which to ignore. If you dont like a law, work for its change. But while it is illegal, you should have to pay the legal consequences if caught.

As much as the stoners want to argue otherwise - pot is no different than any other illegal drug other than the fact that you really cant overdose on it. All drugs involve illegal trafficking and the support of criminal enterprise. You also can not argue the fact that pot is usually a stepping stone for those on the wrong track. Most teenagers dont start with coke or heroin - they build their way up to it.

ok, in that case, why do you care?  you seem to be making all the stereotypical arguments (that have been much proven false) that a parent would make to their child.  but you're talking to peers here.  why do you care?

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

ok, in that case, why do you care?  you seem to be making all the stereotypical arguments (that have been much proven false) that a parent would make to their child.  but you're talking to peers here.  why do you care?

Honestly - I really do not care what others do until it affects me. When I go out in my back yard and smell the stuff coming from the white trash next door it does bug me, especially with their young kids playing out there while they do it. Since cigarette and cigar smoking is now illegal in many public places, I dont think we will ever see people being able to walk down the street smoking the funny stuff.

Do what you want in the privacy of your own home. Right now it is illegal. The stoners will impress me when they do some actual legwork to make it legal - not sitting around toking and saying *yeah man this stuff should be legal*

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

I'm sorry, but we aren't talking about meth, crack, pcp, heroin or cocaine here. Those are the drugs that destroy lives. I'm positive that any weed I might smoke does not come from any sort of cartel or even from across the border. And there are plenty of responsible ways to enjoy yourself without impacting others' lives. Climb out of your shoebox.

Even if you confine the discussion to just Marijuana vast majority of it comes from Cartels across the southern border.  So unless you're growing it yourself, it probably is coming from a cartel.  It isn't a harmless drug albeit less damaging than some other illegal drugs.  Drug cartels kill people and not all of them are competitors but many are local officials and law enforcement officers. The do these murders to keep the transport lanes open and to eliminate competition.  Just read the papers.  These same people who sell this stuff do so to our elementary schools kids who are way to young to know what they are getting into.  For many, if not you you're fortunate, it is a starter drug.  Using marijuana will put you in touch with folks that will certainly encourage you to try some "stronger stuff" sooner or later.  So if it makes you and other feel better to think you are doing no one harm then be my guest to have that illusion.  I'll hope for your sake you never have to experience the human damage that illegal drugs, including marijuana, causes to someone close to you and to society at large.  if you ever do have this experience you'll certainly regret the words you wrote above and you'll climb out of the shoe box you must live in.

• Upvote 1

Butch

Like I said, the only reason marijuana is involved with the cartels and whatnot is because it's illegal.  If marijuana is legal, the cartels will have no business in it.  And the same goes for weed putting you in touch with people who will steer you towards "stronger stuff".  If it's legal, you can go to the pharmacy with your grandma and buy it.  All of the negative connotation with marijuana comes from the fact that it's illegal.  If it had been legal for the last 20 years, you wouldn't associate pot smoking with loser hippies or your white trash neighbors and you'd realize it isn't any more harmful than alcohol is(probably even less so).....

Ping G15 17*

Ping Redwood Anser

Well this thread has inspired me. It looks like Friday I'm going to go get stoned and play 18 holes, simply in spite of several less than educated individuals posting here. I'll tell everyone how awesome it was, how speedy my pace of play was, and how none of my playing partners had any idea that a "closet stoner" was golfing with them. It's a shame that such an enjoyable and great game is tainted by the right wing. I am as respectful of those around me and the game itself as any high-horse riding moral madman, but I can't understand why pot is still so condemned in the golf world.

/West Coast opinion.

Originally Posted by ajschn06

Spoken like a typical stiff.  The only reason marijuana involves illegal trafficking and support of the criminal enterprize is because it's illegal.  If they would legalize it, people could grow it themselves or sell it in stores like cigarettes and there would be no reason to traffic it.  As for being a stepping stone, alcohol will do that just as easily.  I smoked pot for years and never ever thought of touching anything else.

3 thoughts.....

1.  Number of deaths from drinking too much alcohol last year......more than one

Number of deaths from smoking too much weed in the history of time....ZERO

2.  It''s not only stoner's who are arguing its legality.  I haven't smoked in years.....

3. Marijuana is no different than other drugs?  Weed grows from the ground, God's earth....Meth, cocaine, etc are manufactured and cut with dangerous chemicals....

Where is it that you think cocaine comes from?  Maybe all that pot fried a few too many brain cells.  It's called the coca plant, and cocaine comes from the leaves of the plant.  And last I heard that also grows from the good earth.    And opium comes from the poppy, quite a lovely, but deadly flower.  Opium itself is strongly addictive, and is further refined into morphine and heroin.  Try figuring the number of fatalities from those products of Mother Nature's good earth.

This is losing argument because nobody who uses the stuff is ever going to acknowledge that it might actually be harmful.  As a former recreational pot user ( I quit 30 years ago after using for more than 10 years), I can tell you that pot does screw up your world perception, it does cause a psychological habituation for a great many people, even if it isn't physically addictive, and it can take months to kick that habituation .  You reach a point where nothing seems to be any fun if you aren't high, and abstinence can cause depression.  So don't try to tell me that it's harmless... you are living a fantasy if you think that.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Where is it that you think cocaine comes from?  Maybe all that pot fried a few too many brain cells.  It's called the coca plant, and cocaine comes from the leaves of the plant.  And last I heard that also grows from the good earth.    And opium comes from the poppy, quite a lovely, but deadly flower.  Opium itself is strongly addictive, and is further refined into morphine and heroin.  Try figuring the number of fatalities from those products of Mother Nature's good earth.

This is losing argument because nobody who uses the stuff is ever going to acknowledge that it might actually be harmful.  As a former recreational pot user ( I quit 30 years ago after using for more than 10 years), I can tell you that pot does screw up your world perception, it does cause a psychological habituation for a great many people, even if it isn't physically addictive, and it can take months to kick that habituation.  You reach a point where nothing seems to be any fun if you aren't high, and abstinence can cause depression.  So don't try to tell me that it's harmless... you are living a fantasy if you think that.

I never said it was harmLESS, just no worse than some of the other stuff that's legal in this country.  Of course it's not good for you and does harm to you.  Cocaine and opium may start with a plant, but if your buying it I guarantee there have been chemicals added.  Who cares how many fatalities those have caused, we're talking about how many weed has caused.  As for your habituation and depression, OF COURSE!  Cigarettes/alcohol= habit forming, and for those who rely on it, it's probably depressing if you have to quit.  It's not my problem that there are people out there that don't have any will power.  All I am trying to say plain and simple is that:

A) Marijuana can't be lumped in with drugs like cocaine, meth, and whatnot.  It's not anywhere near as powerful or dangerous.  It's a gateway drug, that may be true,  but like I said it's not my problem that people don't have will power.

B)  I'm not even sure that I am trying(or wanting) to argue that weed should be legal.  All I am saying is if you look at it compared to alcohol, it's not anywhere close to as bad as people make it out to be.

Ping G15 17*

Ping Redwood Anser

Originally Posted by Stretch

You left out TV, religion and Stack & Tilt.

Now THAT is funny.

Me, I never inhale - so what would I know?

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

If you break the rules concerning drugs, you'll break them on the golf course.

You guys need to get into another sport with a more appropriate ethic--like stock car racing.

You know--"if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'."

That's the biggest load of equine dung I've read in quite a while!!! Do you happen to know the 1st thing about the business that is golf??? It's as crooked and full of cheats and liars as used car sales, BUT the majority of the jack asses don't carry their business practices onto the course. I'm not saying all, but the majority. So your statement is not only flawed, but also shows your ignorance.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I'm just going to say this forum i have watched for a long time. Its filled with detected people that wish to improve their hobby/obsession and generous instructors that feel the need to help out people to further their involvement of the game just for the sake of helping others and i honestly admire those people. I have learned so much from them and even the people that have posted their swings. Do we really need to follow up on this thread? Golf is made up of a lot of classy, sometimes diverse, sadly also sometimes overly rich snobs but, aren't we better than this? (  Though sadly I'm not part of the classy or snob rich part, mostly just skip work to golf if i make enough :)   )

Originally Posted by Jbrown012

I'm just going to say this forum i have watched for a long time. Its filled with detected people that wish to improve their hobby/obsession and generous instructors that feel the need to help out people to further their involvement of the game just for the sake of helping others and i honestly admire those people. I have learned so much from them and even the people that have posted their swings. Do we really need to follow up on this thread? Golf is made up of a lot of classy, sometimes diverse, sadly also sometimes overly rich snobs but, aren't we better than this? (  Though sadly I'm not part of the classy or snob rich part, mostly just skip work to golf if i make enough :)   )

You're right and I'm done.  We should stick to golf maybe.  But if you start a thread on a volatile subject like illegal drug use you'll surely get a diversity of responses.  But probably no one is going to change their minds on this subject.  As my Zen Master would say "you can't put anything more into a full cup".  Good Golfing to all of you even the ones that don't share my opinions.

Butch

1. Why do you call anyone who smokes a little weed a "Stoner"? If a guy has a drink or two after work do you call him a drunk? The fact is that there are folks who smoke a bit and than there are stoners. Golf isn't a cheap hobby and if you're on this forum odds are you're a hrad worker who takes care of your business & family and therefore not a stoner.

2. Do you have any idea how much money is wasted in this country keeping non violent marijuana offenders locked up? This country averages a non violent marijuana arrest every 13 minutes.. Seems to me there's better ways to use those resources.

3. Pot IS different from other illegal drugs. Nobody has ever overdosed on it, it is not physically or phycologically(sp) addicting, when was the last time somebody high on pot commited a violent crime? When was the last time somebody got shot in a drive by after a "Pot deal" went bad?

4. The whole "Gateway" drug argument is silly. The biggest gateway drug in the world is alcohol, not pot. People with an addictive personality will always move up to the harder drugs regardless of where they start.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

The only people that end up having issues with coke or heroin are those that are genetically predispositioned to become addicts. Locking up pot smokers? Its attitudes like that that explain why we are trillions in debt and perpetually have no choice but to keep raising the debt ceiling.

I would argue that at least 25% of the people locked in state of federal prison have no business being there whatsoever.

It is notable to say that anytime I have ever had any law trouble, guess what was involved. Not pot, BOOZE!

I agree with many others, "it wasn't the weed", you just didn't have a stellar golf day.

THC, the active ingredant in weed lasts 4-8 hrs depending on the strength of the weed.

Heck, in my younger and wilder days at Snowbird & Alta we used to smoke big fatties and go ski runs that where to fall was to die.

I've played golf with guys that smoked all round and shot in the low 80's to mid 70's.

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

The only people that end up having issues with coke or heroin are those that are genetically predispositioned to become addicts. Locking up pot smokers? Its attitudes like that that explain why we are trillions in debt and perpetually have no choice but to keep raising the debt ceiling.

I would argue that at least 25% of the people locked in state of federal prison have no business being there whatsoever.

It is notable to say that anytime I have ever had any law trouble, guess what was involved. Not pot, BOOZE!

I'm not sure about the percentage, but I do know that the majority of the ppl in prison currently are there for non violent crimes. Also, only about 30% of draftable age males in this country are eligable for military service b/c of criminal records and or health problems. Pretty sad I'd say, and "yes", we need to revisit many of our ancient, out of date, archaic laws.

LOL, here is another one, hemp is a wonderful producer of ethanol.

Just to make sure, I'm on your side. I too have had many more problems from alcohol.

Note: This thread is 2708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!