IGNORED

Never had an ACE--Who is with me?

Aquaguru
Note:Β This thread is 4779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I've been playing for almost 10 years now, off and on.Β  The last 2 years I've started taking it serious.Β  I've only had one close call and I was 17 at the time and had only been playing a year of so. .Β  160 yard par 3 over water, hit a straight medium height shot (really thin)Β  landed about 10 feet from the hole.Β  It rolled smooth and took the break and hit the pin and stopped about 3 inches from the cup.Β  My Dad and I walked up there and the pin had been placed half assed and was leaning significantly to the left.Β  Oh well, knowing my luck it wouldn't have dropped anyway.Β  No eagles for me yet either, I've had several putting opportunities for eagle just havent taken advantage.

I have been close twice on the same hole.Β  185 yards from an elevated tee that I have my 7 iron dialed into.Β  One shot came to rest less than an inch away and the other was about 18 inches.Β  I've had 2 eagles so far though, although they have both been on a short 240 yard par 4 (3 hybrid with a 5ft putt, and a 3 hybrid with a 20ft 7i chip), but regardless, I am still proud of them.

About 25 years ago I had one on a short par 3 that was witnessed by my wife.Β  Since she was only riding and not actually playing, it doesn't qualify as an "official" ace. So I made one, someone saw it, but I can't count it!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 SΒ Β Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;Β Β Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts-Β TT AMT Red S300Β ;Β WedgesΒ Vokey SM8Β 56-10DΒ Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5Β Β Ball:Β Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Bryan SD2

Had one on the lip on a short par 3 with a wedge, and won $1,500 at a closest to the pin contest with a 7 iron at 13 1/4".

Did you lose your amateur status for accepting such a large prize?

I was soooo close yesterday.Β  This is where my tee shot ended up (the ball is right behind the pin, the tee box is to the left).Β Β  It landed about 4ft past the pin and rolled back down a sloping green.Β  Walking up to it I was thinking it had fallen in, but then could make out the little white ball hiding behind the pin.Β  A mix of awesomeness (seeing the ball so CLOSE), and disappointment (seeing the ball SOOO close).

IMG00079-20110302-0749.jpg

In my Grom Stand bag:

Β 

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

The closest I have ever been is one inch at a scramble.Β  Won two roundtrip plane tickets.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

No ace after 40 years of golf. I've been very close numerous times. An inch or less. Most memorable one was on a 290 yardΒ  dogleg over water par 4. ThatΒ  was 3 inches.

Least memorable was a thinned 5 iron which never got above 8 feet. 182 yards and I missed by 3/4". Actually I'm glad that was not my first.

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

Nope, never had one.
Oddly enough, the closest I came was when I was just starting to play golf at 12 years old.
I hit a 4 wood (persimmon) 165 yards that caught the edge of the cup, on the fly, flipped up in the air and ended up a few inches away.
The old men who had waved us on to hit were screaming and yelling for the ball to fall back in in hole when it had flipped up in the air.

Driver: Ping K15 10Β°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5Β°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56Β°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

2 years playing, maybe 6 times within a foot but nothing dropped yet

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11 10.5 UST Shaft
3 woods:R11 Β  - 3 & 4 Hybrids: FTi-Z
5i-pw: Diablo Edge SW, GW & LW: CG16Β Β 

Putter: Scotty CΒ  -Β  GPS: BushnellΒ  -Β  Balls: PRO-V1

Never, But I was playing Tour 18 in Dallas, and on #9 the simulation of #17 at TPC Sawgrass (Stadium course), I hit a perfect iron, landed it above the hole, spun it back where it lipped out! talk about heartbreaking.

Been playing for almost 2 years, no ace, but two legit close calls on two par's three holes, on the same day!

On both of them, I teed off with a short iron and the ball landed exactly 10" from the hole, both times. It reminded me of when they show those clips on the Golf Channel of the players' ball landing almost directly into the hole. Priceless.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5ΒΊ)

Wood:Β :ping: G15 3 (15.5Β°)

Hybrids:Β :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21ΒΊ), 4 (24ΒΊ)

Irons:Β :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50ΒΊ, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56ΒΊ

i've been playing almost 8 years now and haven't had an ace.Β  i've had more close calls than i can accurately recount, though, including three in just the past couple of months (all on the same par 3, oddly enough).Β  the ball will land, roll towards the hole and i'll think "this is it, this is it, this is it..." and it'll invariably stop somewhere between 1-3 feet from the hole.Β  my dad got his first ace last year.Β  took him about 40 years of playing to finally get it.

Played on and off since I was a 13, but the last two years seriously. Never an ace, but had two close calls in 2010. The first an 8i from 150 to two feet, and yes I made the putt.

003.jpg

The other was a 7i from 180. As you can see from the flag I got a ton of help from the wind.

002-1.jpg

Ball mark and ball.

001.jpg

I've sunk two partial wedges from about 80 yds. out, and some long chip and run shots, but have never had a hole in one. In four decades of golf, I have put a half-dozen par 3 tee shots inside the 1-foot circle, but never sank one.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note:Β This thread is 4779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!