IGNORED

Letting other people hit your clubs...

tristanhilton85
Note: This thread is 4084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by 2bGood

I can't say i find this odd. Lots of golfer would not let a stranger hit their driver. As it was 910 it was likely pretty new, and as you list yourself an 18 capper I am sure you would leave some doubt in the guys mind.

To be honest I would never ask a stranger to hit his club, if asked by a stranger it would be 50/50 if I would say yes, depending on lots of factors. As for buddies, I think nothing of it, even if they do suck.

I think that maybe I should make it clear that I don't normally ask to hit other golfer's clubs... It's happened in the past, but only once with somebody I didn't know, and he was cool with it, normally it's with buddies.  The only reason I found it a bit odd was due to the conversation we had been having prior to that about equipment and how he was "surprised" that I didn't have one. No big deal.  Just wanted to see others feeling on this.

Originally Posted by alo1984

No, Mr. 18 handicap you can not hit my club.  No.  Have a nice day.

Fine by me.  You have a nice day too.

• Upvote 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Fine by me.  You have a nice day too.

I'm a douche, sorry.  Instead of typing out the story about letting a guy hit my new driver and putting a nasty mark on it, I said something that came across very crass.  My apologies.

BTW your irons are gorgeous.  I just love the Macgregor blades.

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

Originally Posted by alo1984

I'm a douche, sorry.  Instead of typing out the story about letting a guy hit my new driver and putting a nasty mark on it, I said something that came across very crass.  My apologies.

BTW your irons are gorgeous.  I just love the Macgregor blades.

I didn't take any offense to it... some people don't like others hitting their clubs and that's cool with me.  I'm not sure which Irons you're talking about though, I don't have Macgregor blades... I had a set of Hogan Apex plus until a few days ago and now have some Titleist 695 cb's.

Anyways, don't sweat what you said...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

I didn't take any offense to it... some people don't like others hitting their clubs and that's cool with me.  I'm not sure which Irons you're talking about though, I don't have Macgregor blades... I had a set of Hogan Apex plus until a few days ago and now have some Titleist 695 cb's.

Anyways, don't sweat what you said...

Yeah I was totally referring to your Hogan Apex's.  Macgregor came out for some reason haha.  They are in my opinion the nicest looking clubs ever made.

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

While I don't think I would ever ask to him someone's club (unless they were a friend), I would have no problem allowing someone to hit mine ad would probably offer if the conversation came up.  If someone offered their club, I would have no problem hitting it.  I'd probably decline, since I know I'm not gaining anything by swinging it once.

I just haven't seen that many catastrophic events occur when someone hits a golf ball.  Make a mark on my club?  Who cares, it happens.

CARBITE Putter

It depends, my dad, my brother, my golf buddy, no question they could hit a club in my bag.  However I have a few golf aquantances that I would not let drive the golf cart let alone hit one of my clubs.

As for a complete stranger that I was paired up with in a casual round, it would depend on his ability, a complete hack I wouldn't allow, but a solid player I would not have a problem.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Here's why I discourage open sharing of golf equipment:

My friend just purchased a new driver.  After several successful swings, he asks if I'd like to try it.  The first ball, the VERY FIRST SWING I take with his new club, the head breaks off and flies literally 100 yards into the driving range.  What was truly terrifying is that we NEVER found it.  Looked for it at least an hour...to no avail.

For me it would depend upon the golfer.  Surely my buddies and regular friends would be welcome to try a club of mine.  But not sure I would let a stranger until we had played a few holes so I could be pretty sure the club wouldn't be damaged.

Butch

Originally Posted by jldavis73

Here's why I discourage open sharing of golf equipment:

My friend just purchased a new driver.  After several successful swings, he asks if I'd like to try it.  The first ball, the VERY FIRST SWING I take with his new club, the head breaks off and flies literally 100 yards into the driving range.  What was truly terrifying is that we NEVER found it.  Looked for it at least an hour...to no avail.

Why would that discourage sharing?  That was going to happen regardless of if it was you hitting it or him hitting it.

As I've bared to witness to people 'trying' a friends club and proceeding to sky-ball it off the crown, I've decided to NEVER ask to use anyone's clubs, especially a driver.  I've had a friend of mine offer me a chance to try out his driver, but I always politely decline.  If I'm going to have to pay for a new club, I'd rather it be in my bag than his.

Never trust something that bleeds for 7 days and doesn't die

Never gave it much thought. Most of the "switch clubs" seems to occur on the practice range, and for some reason it usually involves wedges.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by shades9323

Why would that discourage sharing?  That was going to happen regardless of if it was you hitting it or him hitting it.

You're probably correct, but the problem is that you have the bad luck of taking that swing when someone else's club decides to break.  How you and the owner of the club eventually decide to work this out is immaterial insofar as by virture of you being the one who swung the club when it broke you are now involved.  Some people wisely don't put themselves in a position where they could become involved (and lets face it golf clubs, especially drivers, can be quite costly), still others wisely realize that allowing someone to hit their club creates the potential for there to be a problem that may not be settled satisfactory for either party, so they are reluctant to let other people use their stuff.  I don't think I've ever asked anyone if I can hit their club.  I've had a few insist that I hit their club, but even then I'm pretty reluctant about it even though by their insistance they are pretty much absolving me of responsibility.  What I will do is quiz someone about their club(s) and if I'm interested in trying them out I'll go to a retailer who lets you test stuff and try it there (incidentally I'll also make sure I go to a retailer with whom I've done business previously so that they know I'm a serious customer and someone they want to come in and test out equipment).

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Aside from my family and maybe close friends, then no.  Before I got really serious into golf, I was in college and my best friend had his dads car for the day since his was in getting an inspection and his did (a dentist) just bought new clubs (cant remember what they were at the time) and between classes we had a 3 hour break one day and he asked if I wanted to go to the near by range and try them out.  The first club I took out of the bag (3 iron), on the very first swing, sent the head flying down the range.  I was absolutely terrified that I would be buying new clubs for him.  My friend started roaring laughing and called his dad and told him he did it not me.  His dad (being loaded anyway) didn't care at all and ordered a replacement.  Ever since then Ive been way too nervous to let anyone use my clubs.  I know that was a freak accident and would have happened to his dad when he hit it but if Im going to break a club I want it to be my own not someone elses.

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

I don't think you should ever ask to hit somebody elses clubs unlee you're good friends with that person. If it's somebody you don't know very well I think you should always wait till they invite you to hit them.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

I don't think you should ever ask to hit somebody elses clubs unlee you're good friends with that person. If it's somebody you don't know very well I think you should always wait till they invite you to hit them.

Ditto with wives.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I have and would let people hit my clubs if they want. If they leave a skyball mark, who cares....if they break it, they're paying for it....and if people expect the person to pay for a replacement driver because of a skyball mark.....they're too far attached.....and far too stingy

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Note: This thread is 4084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!