IGNORED

Letting other people hit your clubs...

tristanhilton85
Note: This thread is 4066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would never ask someone to try out a wood cause I'd be concerned about mis-hitting it and leaving a mark since my swing isn't consistent enough to trust it.  I wouldn't be concerned with irons or wedges as it's not likely that a mis-hit would cause any damage.

I'd let anyone try any of my clubs, I'm more likely to leave a mark than someone else at this point.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've tried other people's clubs when i was a kid and realized that was a mistake when I broke someone's R5 when that was popular in the day.  Now that I've gotten a lot better, I never let people hit my clubs unless I know they can hit a ball straight every time. They are like my babies.  You break'em, you buying me a brand new one. Especially with the woods, as they are a bit easier to break, I don't let people hit them. But, with a wedge or something, thats more ok.  Anybody can use my putter though, as long as they don't break it over their knee.  I mean I don't use a Scotty Cameron or anything too fancy so it's all good with that.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

thinking of this thread, I noticed that a lot of the times when I golf, my clubs end up in the hands of other golfers (to look/try) I am playing with and vise versa. yesterday even, I was checking out his clubs while he was looking at mine. he wanted to try out my 9 iron, so I let him. he was a good golfer, so I had no problem letting him it it.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Today I played with some experienced golfers and they were in love with my Ping K15.  Both guys hit an extra ball off the tee with my ping on 4 holes or so.   I was paired with them, and they were incredibly patient with me as I suck really bad.  Letting them hit my driver was the least I could do as they were giving me tips and being just cool in general.   Also, I was kinda proud with their "daaaaaamn, I need to get one of these!" comments they were making.  They were easily hitting better drives with my K15.  I think I made 2 sales for Ping today lol.

Driver: Ping K15 (10.5*), Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech v3 2i, Ping G15 4i (23*), Irons: Callaway Diablo Edges (5-9, P, A, S)Putter: Nike Method 001, Bag: Nike Tour Cart II Shoes: Nike Lunar Control, Other: Cliqgear 3.0 Handcart, Callaway uPro GPS, Sun Mountain ClubGlider Meridian Travel Bag

Originally Posted by The Road Dog

But my Son In law is different, half his bag is mine anyway. I'm still waiting for him to replace the Mizuno MX-500 driver he fractured over a year ago.

Maybe we have the same Son In Law!!!  The only thing in my Son In Law's bag that is his are the tee's, heck even the bag is mine!  He always wants to hit my stuff, so when I upgrade I pass down my stuff to him, but I can't really complain, at least he likes to golf, loves my daughter, and thinks I know what I'm talking about!

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

i have a good excuse, I need my clubs for work, teaching and making money playing. Sorry, you can never ever hit any of my clubs. I won't ask you, so don't even think of asking me. It's that simple. Would you ask a race-car driver to try his car? No. Would you borrow a surgeon's tools? No. Enough said.

Originally Posted by jldavis73

Here's why I discourage open sharing of golf equipment:

My friend just purchased a new driver.  After several successful swings, he asks if I'd like to try it.  The first ball, the VERY FIRST SWING I take with his new club, the head breaks off and flies literally 100 yards into the driving range.  What was truly terrifying is that we NEVER found it.  Looked for it at least an hour...to no avail.

Sounds like his driver was a complete piece of crap, theres no way that was your fault, he probably already hit the ground a few times with it already.  Ive had the head break off a driver before but it was a cheap driver.  Ive hit my friends used burner driver but since it was already used when he got it, unless i actually broke the shaft, you wouldnt notice a so-called sky mark.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

Originally Posted by Pat007

i have a good excuse, I need my clubs for work, teaching and making money playing. Sorry, you can never ever hit any of my clubs. I won't ask you, so don't even think of asking me. It's that simple. Would you ask a race-car driver to try his car? No. Would you borrow a surgeon's tools? No. Enough said.

Some of you folks sound like some overly possessive inmate trying to guard his mashed potatoes in the mess hall.     Equating a simple golf club to someone's very expensive race car seems a bit excessive.   And a surgeon's tools?   That's inflating the importance of your clubs (and your golf game) just a wee bit too much.

I won't ever ask someone if I can try their clubs.   But if a person isn't an ass or a physical danger then I'll gladly let anyone try any one of my clubs.    If they use it for the purpose designed, i.e. to hit a golf ball, then I figure there isn't any damage they could inflict that wouldn't happen to me sometime anyway.    If the head breaks off for them, it will certainly break for me.    About the worst thing that could happen is to get a sky mark on a driver, but to me that's a small risk to trade off with me being a generous person in letting them try 'em out.

Clearly asking to borrow a club is along the lines of giving someone a short putt. Some guys don't care for it, so be wary.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Clearly asking to borrow a club is along the lines of giving someone a short putt. Some guys don't care for it, so be wary.

And some seem to think it is more along the lines of giving someone a kidney

Not on the course, sometimes at the range, unless the person is obviously inept.  I wouldn't want the distraction, they always ask for feedback or give you feedback, whether you want it or not. Plus if they damage the club, even cosmetic damage,then I would be frustrated or worse, depending on the damage.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

if you let someone hit your driver on the range and say they chip some paint off the top of the club.....what are you going to do? make them buy you a new one? if that happens, it is just bad luck. there is now way I would ever make someone pay for a 300 dollar driver even if they did some cosmetic damage. thats just me though

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

For me it depends on how skilled the person is. If he's shanking every other ball, I wouldn't let him/her go anywhere near my woods.

Driver: Taylormade R7 Superquad TP 8.5 (Fujikura Motore F1 75 X-Stiff)
3-Wood: Cleveland Tour Head 13 (Matrix Ozik Code-8 X-Stiff)
Irons: Titleist 690 MB 3 and 4 iron (Dynamic X-100) 5 - PW (Dynamic Tour X7)
Wedges: Titleist Spin Milled 55 and 59 Degree
Putter: Titleist Studio Stainless 1st Gen.

I will only ask to swing, not hit a club. That will sometimes lead to a 'feel free to hit it' comment. And I will let someone hit my clubs if it is someone I trust. Most people I know rarely ask. My clubs are usually old and they don't want to hit them anyway. :)

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Unless Im 100% certain that a person would pay me for the cost of the club if they damage it, the answer is no.  Letting a friend try out my driver only to have them put an idiot mark on the top of it and then having them refuse to pay for it when they find out how much it costs is just asking for a friendship to end.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Unless Im 100% certain that a person would pay me for the cost of the club if they damage it, the answer is no.  Letting a friend try out my driver only to have them put an idiot mark on the top of it and then having them refuse to pay for it when they find out how much it costs is just asking for a friendship to end.

having someone pay for a club just cause of cosmetic damage, that is a little extreme. now it was damaged and actually affected a shot, then yes, buy me a new freakin club. lol

Note: This thread is 4066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!