IGNORED

Changing/cleaning your ball during a hole?

Johnnyooze
Note: This thread is 3131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Last weekend i got paired with a twosome and after every shot they switched their ball out with another ball. I can assume that its not legal to do that because you could just hit a distance ball off the tee and just switch it out with a soft spinny ball for the approach. But what if your ball is muddy because winter conditions? is it legal to pick up your ball on the fairway to clean it if it has a big clump of dirt on it that will effect impact/ball flight?

In Scotland we have winter rules, preferred lies on the fairway and you can clean your ball, if your plugged in the rough you get to turn the ball out of the pitch mark. When changing your ball you must tell your playing partner and the ball must be of the same compression

If winter rules are in place, you can improve your lie in certain areas of the course, but your ball has to be in the fairway I would assume. Usually that entails being able to lift, clean, and place within a certain distance of the original spot. Ask the club if winter rules are in effect, and what those entail.

Ya the courses up here in NW Washington are pretty wet. I play winter rules and clean my ball only when theres a BIG clump of mud on it because during spring/summer/fall, if your ball is kept in play, it should never have mud on it.

Don't play much in the winter, so i don't get winter rules much. Usuallly if its bad, i play, lift clean and place. I do not change golf balls. My dad has been known to switch out golf balls on the putting surface when we just play a round, but we don't compete. So we all have our own quirks. I play with the same ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In Scotland we have winter rules, preferred lies on the fairway and you can clean your ball, if your plugged in the rough you get to turn the ball out of the pitch mark. When changing your ball you must tell your playing partner and the ball must be of the same compression

What do you mean "when changing your ball?" You can only change your ball if it has been damaged. You don't do it without the consent of your marker. Plugged balls can always be dropped without penalty in closely mown areas and through the green if a local rule permits it. To the OP: That has nothing to do with winter rules. It is a rule of golf.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by johnthejoiner

You can only change your ball during the play of a hole if it has been damaged.  You may also substitute a ball if the original ball is lost, or if you are proceeding under a rule which allows you to drop a ball under a penalty (water hazard or ball unplayable).  In the Rules of Golf, any rule which says that the ball must be dropped or placed means that you must continue play with the original ball.  If the rule states that a ball must be dropped or placed, then you are allowed to substitute another ball.

If you are in a situation where substitution is allowed, there is no rule which says that the new ball must be the same as the ball it's replacing.  That requirement can be instituted as a condition of a competition, but it is generally only seen in very high level tournaments.  At the club level it is very rare.  There is nothing in the Rules of Golf which prohibit changing types or brands when substitution is allowed.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

You can only change your ball during the play of a hole if it has been damaged.  You may also substitute a ball if the original ball is lost, or if you are proceeding under a rule which allows you to drop a ball under a penalty (water hazard or ball unplayable).  In the Rules of Golf, any rule which says that the ball must be dropped or placed means that you must continue play with the original ball.  If the rule states that a ball must be dropped or placed, then you are allowed to substitute another ball.

If you are in a situation where substitution is allowed, there is no rule which says that the new ball must be the same as the ball it's replacing.  That requirement can be instituted as a condition of a competition, but it is generally only seen in very high level tournaments.  At the club level it is very rare.  There is nothing in the Rules of Golf which prohibit changing types or brands when substitution is allowed.

The "one ball condition" requires the player to use the exact same brand and type of ball throughout the round. For example, if you tee off the first hole with a Titleist Pro V1x, then that's what you must play throughout the round. You may not switch to any other brand of ball, nor even to any other type of Titleist ball. You started with the Pro V1x, so the Pro V1x is what you must use on every stroke.

• Administrator

The "one ball condition" requires the player to use the exact same brand and type of ball throughout the round. For example, if you tee off the first hole with a Titleist Pro V1x, then that's what you must play throughout the round. You may not switch to any other brand of ball, nor even to any other type of Titleist ball. You started with the Pro V1x, so the Pro V1x is what you must use on every stroke.

Name the last tournament in which you played where that condition of competition - which must specifically be in effect because it's not normally so - was in effect?

I've never even played a club championship with that rule in effect. Some (not all) local district amateur events, yes. Local section PGA events, yes.

It's not even a local rule - it's a condition of the competition.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah, that's utter bollocks. The one ball condition rule applies only if explicitly applied by a tournament committee. Under normal conditions, you can hit a different brand/type of ball off every tee on the course the course if you like, but you may not substitute the ball during play on any hole unless rule 5-3 applies and it has become unfit for play.

Quote:

A ball is unfit for play if it is visibly cut, cracked or out of shape. A ball is not unfit for play solely because mud or other materials adhere to it, its surface is scratched or scraped or its paint is damaged or discolored.

If a player has reason to believe his ball has become unfit for play during play of the hole being played, he may lift the ball, without penalty, to determine whether it is unfit.

Before lifting the ball, the player must announce his intention to his opponent in match play or his marker or a fellow-competitor in stroke play and mark the position of the ball. He may then lift and examine it, provided that he gives his opponent, marker or fellow-competitor an opportunity to examine the ball and observe the lifting and replacement. The ball must not be cleaned when lifted under Rule 5-3.

If the player fails to comply with all or any part of this procedure or if he lifts the ball without having reason to believe that it has become unfit for play during play of the hole being played, he incurs a penalty of one stroke.

If it is determined that the ball has become unfit for play during play of the hole being played, the player may substitute another ball, placing it on the spot where the original ball lay. Otherwise, the original ball must be replaced. If a player substitutes a ball when not permitted and makes a stroke at the wrongly substituted ball, he incurs the general penalty for a breach of Rule 5-3, but there is no additional penalty under this Rule or Rule 15-2 .

If a ball breaks into pieces as a result of a stroke, the stroke is canceled and the player must play a ball, without penalty, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was played (see Rule 20-5 ).

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by iacas

Name the last tournament in which you played where that condition of competition - which must specifically be in effect because it's not normally so - was in effect?

I've never even played a club championship with that rule in effect. Some (not all) local district amateur events, yes. Local section PGA events, yes.

It's not even a local rule - it's a condition of the competition.

Today, and thats was just a monthly medal "my first full game this year". We as a club don't think its too much to ask a member to turn up for a tournament with 2 or 3 balls that are the same

Your club is enforcing PGA Tour rules for member competitions?  That's a bit odd!
What a load of bollocks!

I'll bet you can't name a situation where someone ran out of balls and was DQd because he didn't have the right brand/model.

You are saying that if someone lost their last Pro V1 (or whatever), but had a Pro V1 x and noone else had one he could borrow, he's disqualified.

Complete horse manure.

Some pretentious idiot on your committee has confused the CC rules with normal ones and the membership is swallowing it. Ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Your club is enforcing PGA Tour rules for member competitions?  That's a bit odd!

What a load of bollocks!

I'll bet you can't name a situation where someone ran out of balls and was DQd because he didn't have the right brand/model.

You are saying that if someone lost their last Pro V1 (or whatever), but had a Pro V1 x and noone else had one he could borrow, he's disqualified.

Complete horse manure.

Some pretentious idiot on your committee has confused the CC rules with normal ones and the membership is swallowing it. Ridiculous.

Your correct, because its never happened

So then why even have the rule? If I understand it correctly, the PGA Tour (and other institutions) have it mainly for marketing/sponsor reasons. So guys can't say "I use Top Flites on par-5s for distance, but ProV1s on par-3s for spin."

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Shoot, I thought the guys at our club were doing good just to hit their own ball!

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Today, and thats was just a monthly medal "my first full game this year". We as a club don't think its too much to ask a member to turn up for a tournament with 2 or 3 balls that are the same

You are a member of a very unusual club then.  I'm a rules official for the Colorado Golf Association and I've never even worked a CGA run tournament which made that a requirement, much less a club level competition.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

You're (note the apostrophe and the extra couple of letters thrown in there) missing the point.  It hasn't happened because it's an unenforceable rule. You don't know what has happened in other groups.

There are even strict requirements about the creation of local rules at golf clubs. This is ludicrous.  There is no such rule at any golf club for competitions at club level.

You're behaving as if there is some moral code that exists at your club, and there is an offensive, superior tone to your posts, even to the point where you appear to boast of having rules that exist nowhere else in the golfing world.  You seem to want us to think that your club is special.  It's clearly special in ways that make it a bit of a joke, if what you are saying is true.

The funniest thing about it is, is that you obviously have an ignorant membership, because noone seems to have made a fuss about this invention.

Your club may as well create a rule that insists that you use tees of a certain colour.
Please post a link to the club website where this is mentioned or a photo of the local rule on the scorecard. I'll bet you can't do it.

Note: This thread is 3131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!