Note: This thread is 3647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Unless of course they're using "diet" in the real sense of the word, not the media sense of the word.

My wife has dropped 4 stone over the last 1.5 years by simply eating more healthily and she looks slimmer and fitter than ever. She has more energy, more drive and is happy and it's all been achieved at a steady but achievable pace with a healthy DIET. 56lbs over 1.5 years is 3lbs per month which is easily achievable with sensible food choices. And all of the above is without exercise which would boost it even further.

The first step for her was making the choices I mentioned above; double-checking that there's not a better alternative. The next step for her was to get her mind in the right place so she joined the local Slimming World meeting and attended each week (note: Slimming World *looks* like a fad diet but if you read beyond the sales crap, it's simply healthy eating) and then she stopped going to the meetings as soon as she was motivated and understood the best way to lose weight healthily (about 2 months).

Fad dieting is bad.

Having a healthy diet is good.

Having a healthy diet and exercising regularly is great.

One big difference between dieting and eating right is portions . When people diet, they tend to cut carbs out, fats, sugars, and certain beverages. When people eat right they just use portion control, and don't worry so much about excluding different foods.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You want to combine a healthy diet with exercise to achieve optimal results.  In 2008, I weighed 400 lbs and couldn't walk a 1/4 mile without having to stop.  I now weigh 205 lbs, and running marathon

Portion control is an overused term because it's subjective.  A guy who eats 4-5 slices a pizza a day might consider 2-3 slices portion control, that doesn't make it healthy.  Portion control of fast

Yeah true who knows.  I've been to the mid 300's for BP and it's takin me since i was 18, 5 days lifting pretty serious.  i'm 22 now haha o well maybe i'm just jealous ;) (i did it naturally for any wondering too! you wanna be big, eat like you are big)

Originally Posted by HAVOC

One big difference between dieting and eating right is portions. When people diet, they tend to cut carbs out, fats, sugars, and certain beverages. When people eat right they just use portion control, and don't worry so much about excluding different foods.

Generally I agree yup. Thing is you can pretty much eat as much as you like of healthy foods so in that scenario portion size is irrelevant.

Portion control is an overused term because it's subjective.  A guy who eats 4-5 slices a pizza a day might consider 2-3 slices portion control, that doesn't make it healthy.  Portion control of fast food, and junk food is not healthy either.  Morbidly obese people don't get that way overeating green vegetables and grilled chicken.  Portion control will reduce ones total caloric intake to help them lose weight, but it may not reduce high blood pressure or high cholesterol.  People need to be aware of the quality of the calories they take in as well as the quantity.

Originally Posted by HAVOC

One big difference between dieting and eating right is portions. When people diet, they tend to cut carbs out, fats, sugars, and certain beverages. When people eat right they just use portion control, and don't worry so much about excluding different foods.

• Upvote 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!