IGNORED

Hybrid 18* vs 20*

Note: This thread is 4763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am currently using the Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20* instead of a 3 iron ..... my 4 iron Cobra S2 has a loft of 22* ..... """yes that is about the loft of a normal 3 iron """ ........ so very few people use the Cobra S2 3-iron (18*).

The gap between the S2 4i and the 3/R 20* is about 15 yds.

I am no great fairway wood player (just not my thing) and I wonder if adding the 2/R 18* will bring enough gap or would it be better to forget about the 2/R and go for the 1/R 16* Pro Hybrid to replace a 3 or 4 wood.

Please advise......

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Originally Posted by Gerald

I am currently using the Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20* instead of a 3 iron ..... my 4 iron Cobra S2 has a loft of 22* ..... """yes that is about the loft of a normal 3 iron """ ........ so very few people use the Cobra S2 3-iron (18*).

The gap between the S2 4i and the 3/R 20* is about 15 yds.

I am no great fairway wood player (just not my thing) and I wonder if adding the 2/R 18* will bring enough gap or would it be better to forget about the 2/R and go for the 1/R 16* Pro Hybrid to replace a 3 or 4 wood.

Please advise......

Driver, 3H is a hefty gap. My 15* 3-wood distance is exactly half way between my 19.5* hybrid and my 10.5* driver. I'd recommend a 3 or 4 wood because the longer shaft is more versatile. You can always choke up (i.e. "grip down" in golf terms) but you can't make a club longer. This is important when the ball is below your feet (like when try and play safe, but peel one right into the rough, just short of a fairway bunker).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Zero .....

Originally Posted by bigbear43

What do you have in your bag for woods?

Allthough at my hc tou'd expect a nice 13*-15* wood to be no problem at all ...... it is actually the weakest link in my game and you don't have to be a superstar to play from hc 6 it is just making pars, 1 or 2 birdies and a couple of bogeys.

At most par 4's it is a good drive followed by an iron to hit a GIR, or just off and scramble for par, about half of the missed GIR's I make and some I don't.

Normally I make most par 3's and I play the par 5's conservative meaning GIR plus 2 (or 1) putts

I never try to reach a par 5 in 2, so what is the use of a 3 Wood for me.

3 Hybrid is about 210 yds, but at our course we have a 225 yds par 3 and I (might) need something to reach that green ...... on the other hand now I use the 4 i to play it safely to a flat area just short left of the green, and chip for par or bogey from there...... rather than taking a big risk of going over 150 yds of water plus 40 yds of a severe downslope, hoping to land somewhere in the center of the green.

I know my game well enough, that adding a 3, 4 or 5 wood means buying a nice stick for in the garage and I am considering buying a 18* or 16* hybrid ...... my only concerns are that a 18* hybrid might be almost equal in distance as the current 20* hybrid is and if a 16* might be as difficult as a 3 wood.......

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I just bought a 3h 20 to go with my 2H 18.  It will be here in a couple of days.  I carry the 2h 225 and my 4i 200 so I am hoping I get 210-215 carry out of the 3h knowing that I can grip down to take off a few yards.  I went online and saw the WITB for Rickie Fowler and Rory Sabatini and they have similar set-ups and get 15-20 yards between each so I would be happy with 12.  I will report back this weekend if it shows  up in time.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by Gerald

Please advise......

I will throw in a little different twist but it may help your decision...I hate drivers (see sig) as I hit a TEE strong 3 wood (13 deg) off the tee (avg 250 and that is not internet distance...ha! ha!) ...so when I had a gap between my 3 iron and strong 3 wood I thought about getting 4 wood...but just like you I really do not like hitting clubs that are too big for the job (might be my mental problem with drivers as I hate the 460 size)...anyway I decided to buy the TEE 2H (16 deg)...it has the same shaft as my 3 wood and it has a smaller head then most hybrids...and I LOVE this club...it was a great addition to my bag and gives me more versilitily then a  4 wood can...just my 2 cents!

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Just a general thought here.  You say you never go for a par 5 in two.  To my way of thinking, you are automatically giving up 4 chances for birdies and, at your handicap, you need more birdies to drop down toward scratch.  I would suggest you find a 3 wood (or 4 wood) that you can get comfortable with.  Getting another hybrid that will get you from 210 to 220, maybe, won't do much for your score.  Finding a FW that gets you to 235-250 consistently will definitely lower your scores. Plus, it may help you find more fairways on tight driving holes.

You say fairway woods aren't your thing.  My recommendation is to make them your thing.  I think your game will be better for it.  Good luck!

Yeahhhh That's what I thought ......

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Just a general thought here.  You say you never go for a par 5 in two.  To my way of thinking, you are automatically giving up 4 chances for birdies and, at your handicap, you need more birdies to drop down toward scratch.  I would suggest you find a 3 wood (or 4 wood) that you can get comfortable with.  Getting another hybrid that will get you from 210 to 220, maybe, won't do much for your score.  Finding a FW that gets you to 235-250 consistently will definitely lower your scores. Plus, it may help you find more fairways on tight driving holes.

You say fairway woods aren't your thing.  My recommendation is to make them your thing.  I think your game will be better for it.  Good luck!

I could think a gain of about 10-15 yds with an extra hybrid and last year I played a few rounds with the Titleist 909 F3 15* and I remember 1 drive of about 250 yds at a narrow hole that set up an easy birdie at a very difficult hole, problem with using the 3 Wood is that I can so easely slide the head under the ball and it makes me so uncertain .......

Last week playing at a tournament I had a super drive (about 285) at a long par 5 and had left about 245 to the flag and I just didn't go for it allthough it was possible and pitched the 3rd shot within 8 ft. from about 105 yds, 2 putts ..... easy par, but you are right could have gone for the birdie or better with the right tools in the bag.......

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I just bought a 3h 20 to go with my 2H 18.  It will be here in a couple of days.  I carry the 2h 225 and my 4i 200 so I am hoping I get 210-215 carry out of the 3h knowing that I can grip down to take off a few yards.  I went online and saw the WITB for Rickie Fowler and Rory Sabatini and they have similar set-ups and get 15-20 yards between each so I would be happy with 12.  I will report back this weekend if it shows  up in time.

I just got my 20* and it is 2* weaker and an inch shorter than the 18*.  I hit them both on a launch monitor and my 4i iwas 200-205 carry, the 20* was 215-220 carry, the 18* was 230, and the 3w was 245 so I think I have it covered.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I've gone down this road before. I tried a TM 2h with a steel shaft and a Cleveland Halo 2h. I actually found them harder to hit the a 5w. One thing you may consider is a shortened 5w. You'd have to weight the clubhead to get the swing weight up. You know your game better than us, so it's just an option.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Note: This thread is 4763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!