IGNORED

I bought a road bike!

Ben
Note: This thread is 3972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My wife and I have recently gotten into running and it seems that everyone who runs bikes as well.  I could see myself getting into biking but with the personality I have.....I would spend crazy money on it!

If I carry on with my long term goal of competing in some sort of triathlon, I supposed a bike is in my future.

There are some good looking bikes posted up!!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Dang cruzthepug, cool bikes!

TN, triathlons huh? Ugh, no thanks! That's just too much madness. I don't know how in the world those people do it. Forget about Ironman. Those people are just plain nuts!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by Ben

Dang cruzthepug, cool bikes!

TN, triathlons huh? Ugh, no thanks! That's just too much madness. I don't know how in the world those people do it. Forget about Ironman. Those people are just plain nuts!

I am speaking of the smaller triathlons.  No way I could do the Ironman!!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Originally Posted by Ben

Over the past few years I've really been flip-flopping through ways of getting exercise. My latest adventure, biking. Did some searching on craiglist for weeks until I finally found the one that caught my eye. A little 12 speed Peugeot. Paid $200 for it. Figured I shouldn't go too crazy on my first one. I know road bikes can climb well into the thousands. I've taken it out a few times now. Its a lot of work, but really quite fun, especially flying downhill. And in my neighborhood we've got some nice wide streets with plenty of elevation changes. Today my legs were really put to the test, 12 speeds is just barely enough. A few more gears definitely would have helped some of the climb today.  But, I suppose my legs will get used to it. I've always had some rather large thighs, from riding bikes and skating(board) when I was a kid. I gotta tone them back up. I really think this will do wonders for golf too. Strong thighs and a strong butt will probably go a long way. I'm sure we've got other bikers in here?

Here's my beast:

Nice.  I also have a Peuget.   A Super Sport from 1989.  Looks exactly like yours.  Ride it ever day.

The only thing I don't like about it is no back fender.   Makes riding in the rain or wet pavement not impossible but messy.

$200.00 is not bad.  My bike was $350.00 back in 1989.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend tried to kill me today. This guy is big and strong, a good guy to ride with because he pushes me to my limit. We usually ride on Mondays, and I ride a few more days during the week, however I've had my bike in the shop all week so my legs were a bit cold. When we were talking about where to ride today he had said that he wasn't looking to climb much. Well he conned me into a nightmare of a ride. 35 miles through the canyons to the beach, then back through the canyons. I've driven these roads hundreds of times before, don't know what I was thinking when I said yes to this. The first three miles were uphill. The next 15 were downhill through Topanga Canyon along PCH. Then, the fun. Las Virgenes to Mulholland HWY, supposedly the hard part as my buddy said. eight miles and it was hard! But at that point we still had ten miles to ride, ten miles of unrelenting, climbing. Las Virgenes was nothing compared Mulholland. Like I said before, I've driven this road many times, but never realized how much grade there was to it. The last two miles of the climb was a beast. I was cursing my friend's name the entire way up. My main motivation to finish the climb was punching him in the face! Flying through at 50mph in a car is WAY different the pedaling along. I finished the ride without a break though! After having some to let the sting in my legs calm and time to reflect on what I did, I'm ready to try this ride again. At least next time I'll know what's coming and how to manage my energy.

9-26-11 Canyon ride.jpg

9-26-11 Canyon ride elevation.jpg

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Sounds like a fun ride Ben! :) I bet you it'll go better and easier each time you do it.

How's the Bianchi treating you? Looks like a nice upgrade from the Peugeot

Birdies 4 Elephants - raising money and awareness for elephants while out playing golf :)

The Bianchi is awesome, thanks! But like with everything I am looking to upgrade. Wanna get lighter so I can keep up with that jerk friend of mine! First major upgrade is going to be a much lighter crankset, probably get some pedals too. Must Get Carbon Fiber!!!!

Rides aren't getting easier because that buttface keeps taking me on harder rides! But when I'm out on my own, yes, I've become much more efficient on my normal routes.

I still have the Peugeot. I wanna learn how to rebuild a bike, so its going to be my guinea pig.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by Ben Wanna get lighter so I can keep up with that jerk friend of mine!

Watch out, it's as addictive as golf ;)

If you want a lighter and more responsive ride I'd look at upgrading the wheels first. A pair of nice light wheels (and tires) will transform the ride of any bike. You'll feel that much more then shaving a few ounces off the crank or other parts. Lot's of room to save weight if you like though :) As said, it's addictive, lol.

Birdies 4 Elephants - raising money and awareness for elephants while out playing golf :)

• 3 months later...
Nice looking bikes and an interesting thread.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

• 2 weeks later...

My current ride:

trek.jpg

Best regards,  Frank

:titleist: 913 D2 10.5*

:titleist: 913 F 17*

:titleist: 913 H 21*

:titleist: 716 AP1 4-P

:vokey:  SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

:odyssey: Tank Cruiser #7

:sunmountain: C-130

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the days are getting longer, the weather staying nicer, been back in the saddle over the last few weeks. Did my little 10mi TT this afternooon...

Anyone else have a Strava account? Follow me at: http://app.strava.com/athletes/60631

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by CBO

Watch out, it's as addictive as golf ;)

If you want a lighter and more responsive ride I'd look at upgrading the wheels first. A pair of nice light wheels (and tires) will transform the ride of any bike. You'll feel that much more then shaving a few ounces off the crank or other parts. Lot's of room to save weight if you like though :) As said, it's addictive, lol.

I remember reading this when you first posted it. I'm over looking for a new frame, I really enjoy mine. But, I'm still interested in shaving weight. Is that going to be my most weight shaving upgrade? The Wheelset?

I want to upgrade to a 10speed from my 9speed, probably Campagnolo with Campy shifting components to match. ugh... Everything quality bike is so expensive :(

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Ok, who's winter riding?  I'm getting in 80 miles a week and at least one or two days on the cycle trainer.  It's been a mild winter but I'm ready for spring!  5000 miles this year!

BTW Ben:  Don't get caught up in the weight thing.  Trust me, at this point, it's more about the "engine" than it is the bike.  Work on yourself and your bike will go faster.

I picked up a pos mountain bike from my dad, spent 75 bucks getting it riding ready, bought a bunch of gear, and have been going for nice (cold) rides about once or twice a week. I rode in to my work one day (about 20 kms) on the sidewalks the whole way, and that was fine, but on the way home, I ran out of leg. I actually had to get off the bike and walk a few times to rest my legs. It was probably the worst ride of my life.

Last summer, my girlfriend was borrowing my car for her job most days, so I ended up riding in to work about 3 of the 5 days. It was excellent for me, and I intend to do at least that much riding this summer as well. My goal is by next winter to be in good enough shape to ride to work every day. Maybe save myself a few bucks in gas, and get some intense biker legs as an added bonus.

I bought myself a road bike at Christmas.  Haven't ridden much but really like it so far.  Riding 16 miles on flat land is kicking my butt which just proves to me you do not have to be fat to be out of shape.  I wouldn't make it 2 miles in a place with hills right now.

af7f3226.jpg

My dad got this bike at the same time:

625de2f2.jpg

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

That's an F5, isn't it?  CF with Shimano 105....nice.  It says you're in Hilton Head?  I rode there last fall.  Great cycle paths.  If you decide riding is not for you, lemme know.  I'll take that baby off your hands.  JK.  Get out and put some mileage on that bad boy!  Felt was on my radar last year before I decided to go steel.  Great groupo on that felt.  Same as mine.  You're gonna love that machine.  Dad's looks nice too!

Getting ready for a ride right now...

Doctorfro, what app do you use to track your rides? Or are you? I wanna follow along and check them out!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

My dad uses www.BikeJournal.com to track his and just mess around on the forums and whatnot.

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

Note: This thread is 3972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!