IGNORED

Round Putter Grips

Note: This thread is 880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Consider this...

Some people have strong grips. Some people have weak grips. We all play with round grips on our clubs... except our putters.

Why?

Why are we relying on a flat part of a grip - which can very easily be a few degrees off (which can also shift over time) - for our alignment when the putter head, offset, markings, etc. should be responsible for our alignment?

Perhaps we should re-consider using a flat putter grip and consider using round putter grips again. Let's use our eyes and the alignment aids ON THE PUTTER to help us line ourselves up. Let's not rely on a hastily applied, never-quite-correct flat spot on a putter grip.

Consider that...

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is a good point. I sometimes wonder if my grip is aligned how I want it to be. Whoever or whatever installed the grip may have got it slightly off, or a square grip just doesn't fit your putting style. I've installed all my other clubs with logo and dash down, so I only align with the clubface. I do align with the putterhead too, it sometimes feel a bit weird, like the grip and head doesn't match up, but I always use the head for alignment. I have also changed the putter grip myself, which might not have been installed properly again. I wondered when putting the new grip on why they needed to plaster the entire shaft with strong double-sided tape to hold the grip in place. You don't exactly go around swinging this club hard.

On the other hand, I do like the flat top to rest the thumbs on, but I suppose it's just a matter of what you are used to. Having a grip with some edges and not perfectly round may make it sit better in the hands. Then again, you are still not swinging hard, so it shouldn't be a problem with a round one. If you get the grip aligned perfectly for your putter grip and style, it should work I guess. Putter grips are usually thicker.

Do round putter grips exist? You could perhaps put on a bunch of layers of masking tape to widen a normal grip.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Zeph

Do round putter grips exist?

Yep. http://edelgolf.com/

I'm asking because it makes sense to me, and we're being trained on Friday to fit for Edel putters. I'll be fit for mine at that time too.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I was thinking about the same question for a long time . My putting still the weakest part of my game , and am looking for the root cause . Every time when I held the putter in my hand , I always rethink about the grip and the feel ... Results ? Bad !
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

I'll try putting my spare Pure grip on a putter one day and see how that works.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

i've been using a FEEL Release on my putters for about 5 years now and have no plans on changing. i align the face with my target and don't need false input from a shaped grip.

KZG Gemini 9* Aldila Proto By You
Leyland COPlasma 3wd
Golfsmith Q4 19*
Louisville HyLofter 24*
Wishon 770CFEs w/Nippons
Alpha P2 wedges
Louisville EWP putter

I put a normal round grip on my putter a few months ago.  I always have had the same problem that you mentioned when trying to regrip a putter, I could never get it aligned quite right.  My stroke feels pretty good with it on my putting mat at home, but I've yet to get on a real green with it...

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

Well, I like the way my (flat-fronted) grip is on my putter, but I don't think I ever used a round putter grip, so I can't say I'm giving it a proper comparison.

When I need to put on a new grip - the current one was applied end of last year - I'll give this a shot.  Worst case, I'm out a few bucks.

Can I still use the Utley grip (or whatever approximation of it I've achieved) with a round instead of flat-fronted?  I can't think of anything in how I hold the putter that relies on the fact that there's a flat end.

And... can I put the same grip I put on my other clubs, or would I be putting on an Edel grip?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

That flat putter grip has been bothering me all winter!  Last year started with some amazing putting, and then through the summer, it got worse and worse.  I couldn't figure it out even after all my practice.  This winter, being obsessed with all my golf stuff, I figured out that my grip had aligned so the face is very closed, which wasn't the case when I first installed it.  Maybe this will fix this issue?!  Have you tried playing with one yet?  I'm curious to see reactions and results.  I just may do this.

I'm probably weird. To me the flat grip on my Ping is irrelevant; I line up my put across a certain point on the green and perpendicular to the putter face. I've never even thought about using the putter grip as an alignment tool, probably because I know it's not guaranteed to be perfect.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

To answer the question of why ? Because golf is easily the most copy cat industry on the planet. Somebody had success with it ( pronely ping ). And everybody else copied it.

When a company makes a club in the USA I will proudly display their brand here. All of mine were made in china by somebody making $2 a day. Shame on you Mr club manufacture.

I think that I may have to give this a try; I doubt that it could make my putting any worse.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I struggle with shutting the putterface and have considered this - based, mainly, upon the fact that my dad putts with a round grip and can put me to shame.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I have a flat faced putter grip.  When my putting gets crappy, I practice putting with my sandwedge.  I putt with the bottom (bounce) of the club in the belly of the ball.  This, of course, has a round grip and it feels fine to me.

The reason I do this is it forces me to really focus.  It also tells on me.  Lots of times at the practice green when I've practicing chipping, I go up and putt the balls in with my sand wedge.  Some days, I think I putt better with it than my putter.

I think a round grip should be fine and shouldn't really make much difference unless the flat faced grip is significantly offline with the face.

Another thing to consider is if you consistently pull the putts left, try installing a new flat faced putter grip roatated a tad left of center.  That may cure your pull.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

Originally Posted by wrx_junki

Don't belly putters have round grips? Was in the market for one and they seem round.

If the putter has 2 grips on it like most belly and long putters do, they have to be round. The USGA made this rule in the early 90's.

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

• Administrator

I'm now a certified fitter of putters, the stock grip for which is round. I'll have more to say about this process later on.

Note: This thread is 880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!