IGNORED

REVIEW: Garmin Approach S1 (long)

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ppl4golf

The only complaint would be the need of a button push to get back to TIME mode if I need to know the time while on ROUND.

Just hit the "ok" button and it will toggle between the time and measurements.

With the S1:

What is the "Front" of the green? Nearest point from where you are standing -- meaning it would move as you moved right and left? The nearest point if you where in the fairway -- i.e. closet from the tee?

Same questions for the "back."

In case my question is unclear: imagine the green is round (like a clock face) and you are in the middle of the fairway. The front of the green is the point of the green that is in the middle of the fairway -- call this six o'clock. It is also the closest point from where you stand to the green. Now imaging you are in the right rough. The closest distance from you to the green is a point maybe at four o'clock. Six o'clock is a bit further. Which distance is the S1 going to give you as the front?

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

From my admittedly small use...The front of the green is always the closest edge of the green as you approach the green from the fairway.  The location of the front never changes and the distance given is always to the same spot on the green.

Carlos

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

With the S1:

What is the "Front" of the green? Nearest point from where you are standing -- meaning it would move as you moved right and left? The nearest point if you where in the fairway -- i.e. closet from the tee?

Same questions for the "back."

In case my question is unclear: imagine the green is round (like a clock face) and you are in the middle of the fairway. The front of the green is the point of the green that is in the middle of the fairway -- call this six o'clock. It is also the closest point from where you stand to the green. Now imaging you are in the right rough. The closest distance from you to the green is a point maybe at four o'clock. Six o'clock is a bit further. Which distance is the S1 going to give you as the front?

I have not tested out your theory, but I have thought about it away from the course and just not tested it.  I do know that if you go over the green the the front/back are flipped and "fairly correct."  So I would guess that it would measure to the first part of the green between you and the hole.  What I notice me doing though is looking at the middle of the green reading and deducting the appropriate yardage to the front/back/flag.

Note that I am not a very good golfer... a couple of yards +/- to me is not a huge deal.

Originally Posted by Nole77

From my admittedly small use...The front of the green is always the closest edge of the green as you approach the green from the fairway.  The location of the front never changes and the distance given is always to the same spot on the green.

This got me thinking so I tried out something yesterday on the course with my S1.    If it provided distance to the front edge as if approached from the fairway, it should give roughly the same yardage to the front, center, and back if you stood at the side of the green.     But I didn't find this to be the case - I had 3 very different numbers, and pacing off the distances seemed to back up those numbers.     So I believe that the greens perimeters are mapped in the data base and the GPS is giving you the distance to the closest part of the green (for front yardage) to you no matter where you are in relation to the green and similarly for the center and back yardages.

Originally Posted by Clambake

This got me thinking so I tried out something yesterday on the course with my S1.    If it provided distance to the front edge as if approached from the fairway, it should give roughly the same yardage to the front, center, and back if you stood at the side of the green.     But I didn't find this to be the case - I had 3 very different numbers, and pacing off the distances seemed to back up those numbers.     So I believe that the greens perimeters are mapped in the data base and the GPS is giving you the distance to the closest part of the green (for front yardage) to you no matter where you are in relation to the green and similarly for the center and back yardages.

Anyone confirm?

If it really gives distance from your point to the closest point on the green, that would be a big deal. That would mean you have yardage to clear a bunker, avoid going over the green...

My old SkyCaddie measured to the front as computed from the middle of the fairway and there was a crosshair that would let you move it to a distance you wanted -- like how far over a bunker.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

• 1 month later...
Hi All, For anyone with hands n experience, cayou tell me if the buttons get inadvertently pressed during play, and if so does it have any impact on the usability when golfing? For example, I currently wear a digital watch when I play and will find that buttons get pressed 99% of the time as a result of hand movement, cupping after release etc. any issues of that nature with this device? Thanks

Originally Posted by tasker

Hi All,

For anyone with hands n experience, cayou tell me if the buttons get inadvertently pressed during play, and if so does it have any impact on the usability when golfing? For example, I currently wear a digital watch when I play and will find that buttons get pressed 99% of the time as a result of hand movement, cupping after release etc. any issues of that nature with this device?

Thanks

I have read hundreds of reviews on this watch, and I have one.  I have not seen even one comment on this subject in any of the reviews. I personally have never had any problem of that kiind in my experience either. Hope this helps.

I have read hundreds of reviews on this watch, and I have one.  I have not seen even one comment on this subject in any of the reviews. I personally have never had any problem of that kiind in my experience either. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so with mine, if I just turn on the odometer for say 2 hours, then play 1 round of golf, I already have to recharge the battery.

This is the only gripe I have on this watch, otherwise, it's super convenient and doesn't get in the way of the swing.

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Anyone confirm?

If it really gives distance from your point to the closest point on the green, that would be a big deal. That would mean you have yardage to clear a bunker, avoid going over the green...

My old SkyCaddie measured to the front as computed from the middle of the fairway and there was a crosshair that would let you move it to a distance you wanted -- like how far over a bunker.

Finally got out to use my new S1 today, and had occasion to test this situation... At my home course we have a long narrow green on the 7th hole. From the middle of the 7th fairway,The S1 showed the distance from the front of the green to the back of the green to be 25 yards.Approximately 75 feet. The 8th tee is dirrectly opposite the 7th green, so while standing on the 8th tee I scrolled back to the 7th hole and stood  looking directly at the middle of the 7th green. The S1 showed the distance from the front to the back of the 7th green to now be 15 yards. Approximatly 45 feet.  The S1 will tell you the distance to the front middle and back of the hole you are playing from whatever angel you are approaching the hole from.Perfect. By the way,,,Our course has a new watering system with all the heads newly marked with the front, middle and back of the greens. The S1 was extreamly accurate. The readings were right on, or off 1 or 2 yards on every one I checked. I am thinking the S1 was right, and the markers were off a yard or two.LOL. Hope this is helpful.

• 7 months later...

Hi.

I have just, today, bought the above range finder. I play at a nine hole course that we go round twice, playing from different tees on the second time round! I'm not sure what happens on the second round.

Do I start again from one to nine or go,ten to eighteen?

Thanks in advance.

Mapo

• 2 months later...
WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY... Nice functional watch but after 18 mths of little use my watch strap has ripped on 2 separate holes and is hanging on with selotape..
Poor Poor design to have the strap integral to the watch and so WEAK and susceptible to ripping..
I am not paying 61 pounds to get a new one as no doubt it will happen again..
So DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!

I got an S-1 for Christmas this year and have played about 5 rounds with it.  It seems to have every course in my area ranging from the local private country club to the local 9 hole executive course.

I've found the yardages to be very accurate based on tee box markers and sprinkler heads.  Certainly accurate enough for my crappy game!

I think whether this is for you or not is largely based on your personal playing style.  I found it to be very distracting to pull out my iPhone, punch in my passcode, launch an app and so on for every shot.  For me, I'd rather have less data but just be able to glance at my wrist, grab the club and play.  That's the huge benefit of the S-1.  The basics are right there.

One poster said the band broke quickly; that seems like a one off defect.   I have another Garmin watch with a similar band that I use for cycling and running and I've had it for years with no issues despite moving it from handlebars to wrist and back constantly.

One funny story.  The first time out I was playing an exec course with my son.  The 2nd hole is normally about 140 yards, straight out but they had moved the hole while the ground was on repair so that it angled off about 45 degrees to a green that is normally a practice green I think.  I looked at my watch and it said 140.  My son says, "no way, dad, that is way closer than that".  Being a complete idiot, I say "dude, the GPS doesn't lie" and proceed to nail a perfect 8 iron over the green and all the way into the group teeing off on #3.  Thankfully no one was hurt and I apologized my ass off.  Obviously the pre-programmed course and GPS data didn't pick up the fact that they had moved the green to the right and in about 25 yards.  My son still brings it up every time we hear one of those stories about someone driving into a lake while following their GPS in their car...

Seriously though I love the watch.  Especially good if you are a high handicapper and occasionally end up in the wrong fairway or way in the rough and need to scramble your way back.

• 5 months later...

My watch strap broke after 17 months and it seems many other people have had Garmin watch strap issues. I'd avoid this product  whilst the strap cannot be replaced as £159 in the bin after a short space of time is disappointing and expensive.

This watch competes directly with the Bushnell Neo+ gps watch.  The Bushnell is less expensive but I would understand paying the $30-50 more for the S1's convenient charging situation if one does not already own a usb-wall converter.  Also the Bushnell doesn't have shot measuring capability (but any fourth grader can do the math in their head).  I saw mentioned that the S1 is water resistant and while the Bushnell holds up in the rain I don't think it would like to be dunked.  The S1 to me is more aesthetically appealing as the Bushnell looks old school (rectangular look).

I'd encourage OP to write up an Equipment Review for the site.  You can find my review of the Bushnell under the Reviews link underneath my username.

Awesome review man! I have been looking at getting one of these for a long time and after reading your review I'm sold on it. They're on sale for 150 right now at Golf Town so I'm gonna snag one up. I am using Golf Logix right now, while it is a great app it is inconvenient having it in your pocket or going back to your cart to pull it out for yardage info. Thanks for the review.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I recently saw a commercial for the Garmin Approach series of watches; does anyone use these or know anyone who does?

They seem to be pretty cool and they appear to have a lot of potential of being useful, but I don't know if anyone has had any great success with it actually helping their game.

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!