IGNORED

Ace at a par 3 course.

xxsoultonesxx
Note: This thread is 4741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As far as an ace on a par-3...

In my best Marv Albert voice, "Yes!, and it counts!"

"Hey! That kangaroo stole my ball!"

In my Ogio Chamber cart bag
Callaway RazrX Black 11.5* Driver, Nike VRPro fairway wood #3 #5, Adams IDEA Tech V3 4H, 5H, 6H, 7-GW, Custom Edel wedges 52*, 58*, Custom Edel Putter

Originally Posted by max power

A par 5?  Would be a pretty stellar ace.

Assuming he meant the 17th at Pebble. (My desktop wallpaper)

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

I guess I have another question, then. Where do you draw the line between a "pitch and putt" and a real par-3 course? I don't think I've ever played a hole shorter than 90 yards, and the course that I mentioned when I started this thread has one hole under 100 yards (plays around 90) and one 255 yard par-4, with a couple at 130 and one @195, with water, trees, bunkers, yada yada. http://www.highlandsgolf.net/index.asp (No course map, but you will get the jist)

They are also hosting the first annual Washington State par-3 competition.

I always thought a pitch and putt and par-3 course are the same? I've played lake forest par-3 course and little rec in long beach. I believe there are 2 par-4 holes and 7 par-3 holes (can't remember).  and rec 9 has 4 par-4 holes and 5 par-3 holes. since the par-4's are only 250 yards or so, it can be seen as a pitch and putt after your tee shot. and since you stated that highland golf course is hosting the first annual par-3 competition, I would say the correct term would be par-3. pitch and putt is just a term to use when describing the course. like, "I played little rec today, it's a pitch and putt course." something like that I guess.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Real par-3 course vs not "real" par-3 course

Perfect example:

Real: Lakepark executive course in lewisville: holes between 125-190 (par 3s) w/ 1 par 4 (350ish I believe)

Not "Real": North Texas golf center: Hole between 50-100yds most between 50 and 70yds

The first I'd feel pretty good about a hole in one, the second, not really.

My lone hole in one is at a "junior" course. Cantigny golf course in Wheaton, IL has an excellent junior program and built a separate "junior links" course, complete with it's own club house. Nice little 9 hole course designed especially for kids with holes ranging from 67 - 160 yards. http://www.cantignygolf.com/youthlinks/course/facilities/default.aspx  Adults can only play as a guest of a child.

Took my boys out there when they were 11 & 7 and ended up Acing the 67 yard #4 hole. My kids made a big deal out of it and of course I bought everyone in the clubhouse a round. For Father's day they gave me a hole in one trophy with the ball mounted on it.

I know some people will say that it's not a real hole in one, but I wouldn't trade it for an Ace at #12 at Augusta.

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

If you're going to dream, dream big!!!

Besides have you seen how long guys can hit in the "how far do you drive threads?" 543 yards would be a 6 iron for some of them...

Originally Posted by max power

A par 5?  Would be a pretty stellar ace.

My friend had his first ace ever the other day in college golf.

Aced a par 4 - 265 yards

Pretty nice.

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

Whether it's at a Par 3 course or a regulation one, I'm counting it.  Plus the Par 3 course by me is pretty challenging actually with holes as short as 85 yards and as long as 240 yards.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by 2bGood

For me, my "Dream ace" would be from an elevated tee between 150 and 165 yards with an 8 or 7 iron. Nice draw that releases a few feet into the hole. Long so that it feels like long shot, short enough that i can see it. Luckily this is a pretty common par 3 length and I have two that fit this description at my home course.

I love that kind of hole.  Played at Chambers Bay back in January and there's a par 3 that fits that description (8th or 9th hole, I think).  It's probably 50 or 60 feet of drop.  I had a lousy day, but did play that hole just about perfectly.  Only hit the green, not close to an ace, but did wind up with a pretty solid par.

Closest I've been to an ace was on about a 165-yard par 3 that was downhill enough that you could see the putting surface, but not really elevated.  Hit one of those shots that you can immediately tell is on line, but you just have to wait to see how the distance is.  It landed about 5 feet from the pin and bounced once before stopping 2 feet away... Even though it didn't go in, there was plenty of suspense (and I actually made the tap-in haha).

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by zeg

I love that kind of hole.  Played at Chambers Bay back in January and there's a par 3 that fits that description (8th or 9th hole, I think).  It's probably 50 or 60 feet of drop.  I had a lousy day, but did play that hole just about perfectly.  Only hit the green, not close to an ace, but did wind up with a pretty solid par.

Closest I've been to an ace was on about a 165-yard par 3 that was downhill enough that you could see the putting surface, but not really elevated.  Hit one of those shots that you can immediately tell is on line, but you just have to wait to see how the distance is.  It landed about 5 feet from the pin and bounced once before stopping 2 feet away... Even though it didn't go in, there was plenty of suspense (and I actually made the tap-in haha).

That is hole #9 at Chambers (Olympus) Has 100 feet of drop from the tee to green. I've never been so torn on club selection (200 yards) I think I ended up hitting a 6 iron.

Hell, my local Par 3 is by far a more difficult course than many of the regulation courses I play.  Most holes are in the 110-130 range, there's a couple holes under 100, a couple over 130.  Water is in play on all of them.  Elevation changes galore.  Nasty bunkers on every hole.  I've lost more balls on that nine hole Par 3 than I have on multiple 18-hole walks on other courses.  I'm thinking an ace out there counts.

I'd love to ace the 7th, there.  135 yards over water for about 120 of it to about a fifteen foot wide landing area of green.  Bunkers at the front, bunkers at the back.  Too short you're in the lake, too long you're in the forest.  Go left and you're hitting the side of a hill and shooting back into the lake.  Go right and you're in a ravine.

It's akin to playing the 17th at Sawgrass over and over and over, and I think the exaggeration is only minor.

Currently in my bag:  Under Revision

I've hit 2 shots off the tee that went into the hole and both were on a par 3 course.  We have a regulation course at our club and also a par 3 course.  Aced number 2 and number 7.  Did I put a 1 down on the scorecard, yes I did.  Am I proud of those shots?  Yes, I am.  Would I have preferred them to be on the regulation course, yes I would but I'll take them anyway I can get them.

This was the result of my tee shot on a par-3 course about 3 weeks ago, I knew it was close, my heart was racing as I was walking up to it.  I was more disappointed that it didn't go in than the fact that it was a par-3 course.  And that I was alone too... I wish someone was there to prove I didn't "stage" the shot...

IMG00079-20110302-0749.jpg

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

This was the result of my tee shot on a par-3 course about 3 weeks ago, I knew it was close, my heart was racing as I was walking up to it.  I was more disappointed that it didn't go in than the fact that it was a par-3 course.  And that I was alone too... I wish someone was there to prove I didn't "stage" the shot...

as close as it gets. sorry it didn't go in.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

I've holed out from the fairway for the equivalent of a par 3 ace (eagles) a bunch of times now...but I can't get an ace on a par 3. Frustrating.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

No matter the distance, it's still 1 shot when it should take 3.

Congrats!

yes. the most simple of answers gets the point across. still get to put that #1 down on the scorecard which is pretty cool.

Note: This thread is 4741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!