IGNORED

Wedges : 54/08 + 58/12 or 54/11 + 58/08 ?

Note: This thread is 4752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As I don't like the big flange on my Cobra S2 SW (55*) I am planning to buy two Vokeys, but I am a bit in doubt.

What I look for is a combination of sandwedges that would bring me one sandwedge for soft sand with a higher bounce and one sandwedge for firmer sand with less bounce.

(My gap wedge is 48*)

I know from expercience that the highest losft I can handle with confidence is the 58.

So would you go for 54/08 + 58/12 or 54/11 + 58/08 and please tell me why ..... !!!

(Besides that what is the difference between the Milled and the C-C from the sand ?)

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

first, let me describe my game with wedges to help you understand where I am coming from.

I have a 54* 11 cause I have a steeper swing. I need the little extra bounce so I don't dig into the ground. I also play a 58* 8. I went with a middle bounce cause it can help in both soft and hard sand.

It really depends on your swing and what type of course you play. if you have soft fairways, then more bounce. or if you swing steeper, more bounce. more shallow swing would be less bounce. and harder fairways, less bounce.

c-c vs the high spin milled wedge in the bunker....I wouldn't really think there is a difference. I'm not 100% sure, cause I only have the high spin wedges, but you are hitting the sand, not the ball. so I would think no difference.

48* is a pitching wedge really. I have a 47* pitching wedge, 51* gap, 54* sand and 58* lob. I noticed that from 100 yards, I was either swinging to hard with my 54* or to easy with my pitching wedge. so, I got a gap and now no problem. a nice full swing.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Gerald,

Club designer Ralph Maltby has two links which should help answer your questions and explain your options.

Types of wedges: http://www.ralphmaltby.com/47

Wedges and bounce: http://www.ralphmaltby.com/50

After Ralph, check out the Vokey wedgefitting site, which explains their seven basic sole grinds and other features.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey Gerald

Check out the Scratch web site, they have an unbelievable selection of wedge grinds available, i don't have a set, but I have heard they are top of the line.  Playing off of a 5.8 you must have a good sand game, I used to play off 4 and I don't like any bounce on my wedges, I tend to pick the ball in the trap and take very little sand, I grind/file the bounce off my wedges for 2 reasons 1 - playability/versatility, you can take the wedge and lay it wide open or close it according to what you need, you can lay it wide open to hit a high flop from a tight lie without worrying about blading the ball, also opening or closing the face along with different ball positions in the trap will create different trajectory shots.   2 - swing weight, i like my wedge's to be the same swing weight as the rest of my clubs.  For me in the trap if I open the club face and stance, place the ball near the front foot and pick the ball fairly clean it will create a high trajectory with lots of spin.  place the ball mid stance and close up the face will result in a lower trajectory shot with some run.  Take your old Cobra wedge and grind off the bounce and then go to a bunker and experiment with it, you may be very surprised at the results.

I play the Vokey 54/10 and 60/08.  I use the 54 as a fairway wedge and for chipping and the 60 for fairway and sand.  Since the courses down here are wet and soft, I went with two medium bounce options.  I tried the 60/04 which was fine from the sand (decent flange, could open to increase bounce, etc) but was no good from the fairway.  The 60/08 worked out perfectly.  I don't think you will find much difference with spin from the sand with either variation, but it will be different from the rough.  I also have a 48* pw and then start the 4* increments through the irons.  Good luck.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by golf4fun12

48* is a pitching wedge really. I have a 47* pitching wedge, 51* gap, 54* sand and 58* lob. I noticed that from 100 yards, I was either swinging to hard with my 54* or to easy with my pitching wedge. so, I got a gap and now no problem. a nice full swing.

Cobra S2 has very strong lofts (which is a smart move, as people are forced to buy the GW at 49* which is actually more like a standard PW) :

9i 39*

P 43*/7.5* Bounce

G 49*/9.5* Bounce

S 55*

What I did is having the PW bent to 44*, so now it is :

9i 39*

P 44*/8.5* Bounce

G 49*/9.5* Bounce

Currently I am using the GW mostly for the long bunkershots of 40-60 yds and I think of it as being a great iron........... 9i is about 130 yds and PW is about 115 yds ..... and a full GW is about 100 yds.

When I can choose between a low and a high shot around the green my pref is to roll a ball as long as possible for the most consistent results, so for those shots I use mostly 6i, 7i, 8i and 9i with less wrist action.

So adding a 54 and 58 sounds logical, although I don't care much on equal gaps as I will not likely be hitting full shots with the 54 and 58.

I am not sure if the 54* would be the SW or an in between GW/SW ...... using it as GW *8 bounce would be the choice, but from the sand/rough *11 might be more versatile AND the 58* would be a mix of SW/XW with about the same thoughts on bounce.

As for sand play and playing different courses with hard/soft sand it might be best to have one 8* and one 11* bounce wedge BUT it is hard to decide which one to choose for the 8* bounce and which one to choose for the 11* bounce

My first thought would be 54/11 (mostly for sand) + 58/08 (mostly for lob shots).

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Yepp Scratch wedges are nice !!!! (but I am a Titleist Guy) .... grinding the Cobra ...... it is quite new, thinking of trading it.

Originally Posted by Steel

Hey Gerald

Check out the Scratch web site, they have an unbelievable selection of wedge grinds available, i don't have a set, but I have heard they are top of the line.  Playing off of a 5.8 you must have a good sand game, I used to play off 4 and I don't like any bounce on my wedges, I tend to pick the ball in the trap and take very little sand, I grind/file the bounce off my wedges for 2 reasons 1 - playability/versatility, you can take the wedge and lay it wide open or close it according to what you need, you can lay it wide open to hit a high flop from a tight lie without worrying about blading the ball, also opening or closing the face along with different ball positions in the trap will create different trajectory shots.   2 - swing weight, i like my wedge's to be the same swing weight as the rest of my clubs.  For me in the trap if I open the club face and stance, place the ball near the front foot and pick the ball fairly clean it will create a high trajectory with lots of spin.  place the ball mid stance and close up the face will result in a lower trajectory shot with some run.  Take your old Cobra wedge and grind off the bounce and then go to a bunker and experiment with it, you may be very surprised at the results.

Originally Posted by Gerald

Cobra S2 has very strong lofts (which is a smart move, as people are forced to buy the GW at 49* which is actually more like a standard PW) :

9i 39*

P 43*/7.5* Bounce

G 49*/9.5* Bounce

S 55*

What I did is having the PW bent to 44*, so now it is :

9i 39*

P 44*/8.5* Bounce

G 49*/9.5* Bounce

Currently I am using the GW mostly for the long bunkershots of 40-60 yds and I think of it as being a great iron........... 9i is about 130 yds and PW is about 115 yds ..... and a full GW is about 100 yds.

When I can choose between a low and a high shot around the green my pref is to roll a ball as long as possible for the most consistent results, so for those shots I use mostly 6i, 7i, 8i and 9i with less wrist action.

So adding a 54 and 58 sounds logical, although I don't care much on equal gaps as I will not likely be hitting full shots with the 54 and 58.

I am not sure if the 54* would be the SW or an in between GW/SW ...... using it as GW *8 bounce would be the choice, but from the sand/rough *11 might be more versatile AND the 58* would be a mix of SW/XW with about the same thoughts on bounce.

As for sand play and playing different courses with hard/soft sand it might be best to have one 8* and one 11* bounce wedge BUT it is hard to decide which one to choose for the 8* bounce and which one to choose for the 11* bounce

My first thought would be 54/11 (mostly for sand) + 58/08 (mostly for lob shots).

yeah, 54/11 and 58/8 works great. those bounce rates are for either soft or hard ground and sand shots.

judging from what you say about your short game. being that you like to run the ball with a 6,7,8, or 9, you could get away with just one wedge. like a 56*. just trying to help you with all aspects of wedge play. I love using my 58 for bump and run. hands in front of the ball, never break the wrists. get a little check and then the ball releases and runs to the hole. safest of short game shots I believe. if you have the money and don't care, heck yeah, get both the 54 and 58. that way you have options in the sand or around the greens. 54* would be your 80 yard shot judging from your gw distance. and 58 would be your 65 yard shot. that's about where I am at. 54* i can hit 100, but it is a strong 54*.

so, go with the middle bounces since it is the best of both hard/soft sand types. just a little tilt of the club will get you a different bounce.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

the money ...... I just don't know the smell, but golf is my life ......... so investing $230 in two wedges is no big deal.......

the money ...... I just don't know the smell, but golf is my life ......... so investing $230 in two wedges is no big deal.......

then there you go. get two wedges. if your local golf shop has a 90 day guarantee, then use the 90 day guarantee if you don't like how the wedges play. I did that with one of my wedges. I went with a 54* 8 and didn't like it cause the club dug into the ground a little to much. with the little extra bounce, it helps the club from going straight into the ground.

Are that your sisters in the avatar ??????

Are that your sisters in the avatar ??????

haha. Not really. I'd be in deep trouble if they were.

Gerald,

I second the 54-11, 58-08 combo.  It is very versatile and I used it last year.  58-08 is great in firm sand.  I also picked up a 54-14 late in the year for really soft sand and mushy fairways.  It will be soft in New England for the first couple of months in the season, so I got a higher bounce option just for that and for fluffy sand in the late summer at some of our courses.

If you can find the 2010 spin-milled vokeys, I would go with them.  There are still a bunch of new ones around in our shops.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!