IGNORED

For those who do NOT use Titleist golf balls...

Note: This thread is 3925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Was gonna buy some of the new Orange srixons on ebay... 3 dozen for $67, but the shipping is $20(international)... I just got some used yellow srixons

Played 9 holes (39) this afternoon with the new 2011 Pro V1x and had two superlong drives (290 and 305 yds) ....... it wasn't the ball, but I am about sure it helps ...... no yellow dots like in the 2009 version, but I damaged the face on it at hole 5 so severly that I had to replace it after only 20 shots orso ....... hope that was bad luck ...... a I just bought 2 dozen of these in the morning

That is not the case with me.  I'm not saying I'm backing them up two yards.  They do release sometimes, sometimes they are next to the pitchmark, sometimes backed up a foot or maybe two.  But never ever seen a 10 yds release on a 100 yds shot.

Must add I don't play tour quality greens, so ymmv.

Originally Posted by Gerald

The AD333 is a nice soft feeling ball, and is nice to putt or chip with, but they just lack bite ...... attcking a pin from let's say 100 yds and it easely ends up 10 yds past the pitchmark.......

there's a guy around here that sells balls he finds for 20cents a piece. i've picked up all kinds of balls from him from top flite to titleist to callaway to taylormade. it's the first time i ever played a penta and i really liked it a lot, it felt really great. my girlfriend bought me a dozen nxt tour for christmas and a dozen for valentines day, and i am about out, and was thinking about trying out the z-star everyone on here is talking about. i like the srixon balls i find, usually play with them a few holes until i lose 'em in the woods or water.

I don't think their is any arguement that Titleist balls are still the best, but...............1. They are too expensive. 2. Other producers have caught up to their reliability and consistence. 3. Pro-V 1s still spin too much for my liking, but I do love Pro V1xs. 3. They havent really changed, or needed to in many years (which is a good and bad thing).

So yes I still think they are the best, but am not afraid to play the rest now.

Since the early 1990, I have played mid-spin golf balls. I'm in the process of switching from Slazenger RDS Tour (a really good ball they no longer make) to TopFlite Gamers. Both the RDS.T and the Gamers score well in the ball-fittings I have done.

Why I play mid-spin balls...

• they cost less than the high-spin balls (ProV1)
  • with my swingspeed, I get better distance/spin balance
  • I play the chip and run / pitch and run more than most people; high spin balls sometimes check up when I want more run

And, years and years ago (1970s) someone gave me a dozen high-end Titleists for Christmas. The following spring I cut three out of 12 - with my driver! Never cared much for Titleists since.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That thing is indeed quite orange, but it is obviously a close up, well lit and you can see the little shine/sparkle of the "pearl-escent" finish - also found on the Tour Yellow Z Star balls....

In person it must be a little tamer I think....

Titleist's are just too expensive and you don't get what you pay for. The only good ball they make is the ProV and its not even that good for the price. When you can buy the same performing ball for less money why buy a Titleist? Srixon's ball performs just as well and so does the Taylormade Penta and the Bridgestone B330.

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

Titleist's are just too expensive and you don't get what you pay for. The only good ball they make is the ProV and its not even that good for the price. When you can buy the same performing ball for less money why buy a Titleist? Srixon's ball performs just as well and so does the Taylormade Penta and the Bridgestone B330.

If you are going to play a "tour" ball I'm not so sure that price is a good reason not to play Titleist... every store I've been into has them at about the same price as every other tour quality ball, I usually see them all between $40 and $45 dollars; so even if they are $45 and the Srixons are $40, that $5 isn't enough to stop me from buying the Titleist if I think it works better for me.

On top of that, if you don't mind good quality used balls, Titleist balls are often cheaper as there are so many more out there.

Thing is-I've always been able to find "tour" balls for about $30/box or less.  I think the argument for paying for used ProV1s is flimsy.

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

If you are going to play a "tour" ball I'm not so sure that price is a good reason not to play Titleist... every store I've been into has them at about the same price as every other tour quality ball, I usually see them all between $40 and $45 dollars; so even if they are $45 and the Srixons are $40, that $5 isn't enough to stop me from buying the Titleist if I think it works better for me.

On top of that, if you don't mind good quality used balls, Titleist balls are often cheaper as there are so many more out there.

I don't care for the PRO V1 because the cover isn't very durable and marks easy (plus they are expensive).  I play with Nike PD (soft, green box) and frankly can't really tell the difference between them and the PRO V1 in performance.  I do like the NXT Tour also but don't buy them often.  I am getting to where I have trouble following the ball in flight to the ground so am thinking of switching to a yellow ball.  But that really limits the choices and the Z-Star is expensive so there doesn't seem to be a good choice there between $ and performance.

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

I don't care for the PRO V1 because the cover isn't very durable and marks easy (plus they are expensive).  I play with Nike PD (soft, green box) and frankly can't really tell the difference between them and the PRO V1 in performance.  I do like the NXT Tour also but don't buy them often.  I am getting to where I have trouble following the ball in flight to the ground so am thinking of switching to a yellow ball.  But that really limits the choices and the Z-Star is expensive so there doesn't seem to be a good choice there between $ and performance.

If you personally see no difference in performance between a Pro V1 and PD Soft, buying those Titleists  would be insanity. I think it's been well established that the best "value" from any major ball manufacturer is a very personal choice.

I have the same problem you do in picking the ball up on the way down, losing balls an eagle eyed player would walk straight toward and find no problem. That's one of the main reason I hit an iron off the tee more often than a driver. A ball on the fairway is easier to find, but even with a block or hook, the better distance control with an iron makes that probable landing area much smaller.

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

Spray paint?

Originally Posted by max power

Thing is-I've always been able to find "tour" balls for about $30/box or less.  I think the argument for paying for used ProV1s is flimsy.

If you can find "tour" balls for around $30/box then I say go for it... I really don't ever see them that cheap...  Well, actually I can get the Nike One Tour and Tour D for $27 right now, but I think that they are priced to get rid of most of them before the 20XI comes out later this month; I'm pretty sure that those will be priced right around the Pro V1s...

As for used balls, which personally I have no problem with (especially when ordered in "mint" condition), I also find the Pro V1s to be around the same price if not a little cheaper... especially if you don't mind going one model back.

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

If you can find "tour" balls for around $30/box then I say go for it... I really don't ever see them that cheap...  Well, actually I can get the Nike One Tour and Tour D for $27 right now, but I think that they are priced to get rid of most of them before the 20XI comes out later this month; I'm pretty sure that those will be priced right around the Pro V1s...

As for used balls, which personally I have no problem with (especially when ordered in "mint" condition), I also find the Pro V1s to be around the same price if not a little cheaper... especially if you don't mind going one model back.

I think what he's saying is that when the spin control and distance data is so close for all Tour level balls that taking a chance on used balls (and you really are taking a chance) isn't worth the risk. Stamp a Nike Tour ball with a Titleist logo and the vast majority of players without a + index would have no idea they weren't using Titleist. Case in point - some guys take a brand new Pro V1 out of play after just a few holes, even it appears to be fine, while other guys buy used ones off the internet. To each their own.

Thanks for explaining things so I don't have to.  People want to pay for the word Titleist and Ttileist knows it.  If the Nike One Tour D said "ProV1X" and cost $45 everyone would sing its praises.  Same goes for the TM TP Black and the regular ProV1.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I think what he's saying is that when the spin control and distance data is so close for all Tour level balls that taking a chance on used balls (and you really are taking a chance) isn't worth the risk. Stamp a Nike Tour ball with a Titleist logo and the vast majority of players without a + index would have no idea they weren't using Titleist. Case in point - some guys take a brand new Pro V1 out of play after just a few holes, even it appears to be fine, while other guys buy used ones off the internet. To each their own.

Note: This thread is 3925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!