IGNORED

For those who do NOT use Titleist golf balls...

Note: This thread is 4617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by max power

Thanks for explaining things so I don't have to.  People want to pay for the word Titleist and Ttileist knows it.  If the Nike One Tour D said "ProV1X" and cost $45 everyone would sing its praises.  Same goes for the TM TP Black and the regular ProV1.

No argument there... My point was with the exception of those two balls you mentioned the Pro V1s are within 5 dollars of other "tour" balls...  I suspect that the only reason that the Tour and Tour D is that cheap is that they want to clear out stock before the 20XI arrives and the TP Blacks, while a great tour level ball, are on the back burner for TM as they are focusing on the Penta.  I'm just saying that if your reason for not playing the Pro V1s over say the Penta or Z-Star is price that doesn't make since to me because it's really only a $5 difference at the most.

At the mid range price, I agree that Titleist is over priced.. the NXT Tours are $30 which is $10 more than the Gamer V2s and $5 more than other mid range balls... And I know, its only $5, but at least to me there is a bigger difference between $25 and $30 than there is between $40 and $45....  On top of that, the argument could be made that of the premium balls, the Pro V1 is the best and the price is justified, at the mid range level that isn't so much the case as offering from Bridgestone, Srixon, and Top-Flite are often rated higher than the NXT Tour.

As I said earlier, the only reason that I use the NXTs right now is that I happened to get a decent deal on them... $1.50/ball (they're logo overruns, which I don't care about).  I wanted to give them a try and I played well with it so I'm sticking with it for now.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Personally, titleist junkies just annoy me :P Not even the guy in all nike or taylormade gear has as much attitude as the guys I've met who are decked out in titleist from the driver down to the bag/balls/tees/towel/divot tool lol (yes I'm generalizing from my experiences

Economically, I can save $5 and get the Srixon Z-star which although shorter, feels better to me and works just as well around the greens. Or at work I can buy Callaway Tour i(s) or Nike One Tour's for 25% off and get them for like $33.  And for people who price is of no concern, the 5-15 bucks saves adds up quickly to perhaps pay for a green fee at the course I'm not a member at, or paying for a friend to play with me, or lunch/dinner at the restaurant, or just to put in my savings account. Same thing as staying later at work, yeah it might suck, but that's extra cash at payday to put away for a rainy day.

From a business point of view, titleist are douchebags from our vantage point. I don't want them so I can buy them, we just would make a lot more money if we did sell them. For instance I can sell Taylormade's tour ball, Nike's tour ball, Callaway's Tour ball (and Bridgestone's when we carried them, and I could probably sell Srixon if our company bought them)....but not Titleist Pro v1's, which I get a few people a day asking for them. Why the hell do I have to have X number of PGA Professionals on staff for Z number of stores in the company to be able to sell a freakin box of golf balls when big box department stores, or our competition down the street who also have no PGA Pro have them on shelves? (and I'm not counting the "recycled" pro v1's because we do have those and so does wal-mart and k-mart, shopko...etc, it was funny when my boss took a picture of the actual Pro V1 boxes at KMart and sent it to our DM just going "WTF?").

But from just trying different balls last year from each company, I just ended up settling on the Srixon Z-star or the Callaway Tour i(s) depending on which I can get for cheaper whenever I have to buy them because to me they felt and performed the best for my game personally. Whether or not you do the ball fittings is up to you, since every brand will still try and recommend (push) their ball over whatever you are using, it's just guess and check, trial and error :P

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

That's funny, because at the shop I work in, although it is a private club, Titleist is ALL we sell. We couldn't give away our Callaway and Taylormade premium balls. And also, this Titleist junkie is not a douche, so don't label them all. The only ones I see with bad attitudes are people who are a hell of a player and know it, maybe it's a coincidence a lot of them play Titleist....

Originally Posted by DarkPrince

Personally, titleist junkies just annoy me :P Not even the guy in all nike or taylormade gear has as much attitude as the guys I've met who are decked out in titleist from the driver down to the bag/balls/tees/towel/divot tool lol (yes I'm generalizing from my experiences

Economically, I can save $5 and get the Srixon Z-star which although shorter, feels better to me and works just as well around the greens. Or at work I can buy Callaway Tour i(s) or Nike One Tour's for 25% off and get them for like $33.  And for people who price is of no concern, the 5-15 bucks saves adds up quickly to perhaps pay for a green fee at the course I'm not a member at, or paying for a friend to play with me, or lunch/dinner at the restaurant, or just to put in my savings account. Same thing as staying later at work, yeah it might suck, but that's extra cash at payday to put away for a rainy day.

From a business point of view, titleist are douchebags from our vantage point. I don't want them so I can buy them, we just would make a lot more money if we did sell them. For instance I can sell Taylormade's tour ball, Nike's tour ball, Callaway's Tour ball (and Bridgestone's when we carried them, and I could probably sell Srixon if our company bought them)....but not Titleist Pro v1's, which I get a few people a day asking for them. Why the hell do I have to have X number of PGA Professionals on staff for Z number of stores in the company to be able to sell a freakin box of golf balls when big box department stores, or our competition down the street who also have no PGA Pro have them on shelves? (and I'm not counting the "recycled" pro v1's because we do have those and so does wal-mart and k-mart, shopko...etc, it was funny when my boss took a picture of the actual Pro V1 boxes at KMart and sent it to our DM just going "WTF?").

But from just trying different balls last year from each company, I just ended up settling on the Srixon Z-star or the Callaway Tour i(s) depending on which I can get for cheaper whenever I have to buy them because to me they felt and performed the best for my game personally. Whether or not you do the ball fittings is up to you, since every brand will still try and recommend (push) their ball over whatever you are using, it's just guess and check, trial and error :P

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 -- Diamana A'hina X
titleist.gif 909 F3 15.0 --  Matrix Ozik X-Con
titleist.gif 910 CB 4-PW -- Project X 6.0
cleveland.gif CG10 52, 56, 60.
cameron.gif   Studio Design 1.0   titleist.gif Pro V1    c2_beer.gif It's a Wisconsin thing.

I play Callaway Tour IS most of the time, I don't know why but i just feel comfortable with it. I also play the Srixon at times and feel comfortable there as well. For some reason the ProV just doesn't feel right to me...i think it is in my head but it is still there.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Pentas, because I like the feel. Distance is the same for all the good balls.  Tried the Bridgestone 330-RXs and wanted to like them, but didn't.  Need to give the Srixons a try, though.

My Stuff:
Taylormade Supertri - 10.5    Taylormade Burner - 15.0
Taylormade Rescues - 19 and 22    Nickent Rescue - 26
Alpha RX-1 -  6 - pw     Ping - 50  Taylormade - 54    Callaway - 58 
Cameron Studio Design 5     Taylormade Pentas  

I play Callaway HX Hot or the Warbird if I'm feeling cheap. Why? Probably superstition about clubs being fitted for the same maker's balls. Other than that, the Hot has a nice orange label that is easy to see - I hardly see anyone playing them, and they are hard to scuff.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Got one!:P jk, like I said it's just the one's I've met personally who have been total tools haha (which might coincide with them being high schoolers or 40 year old guys who are drunk by the 5th hole :P). I just think all manufacturers make good products, and sticking to just 1 company limits your options :P And having the attitude that anything non-X brand is inferior seems ignorant to me :/ (not saying you, but a lot of the people i've met).

But, to the other point, do you know if your pro is a Titleist staff pro? I know my instructor is a Bridgestone guy, and to a smaller extent he carries some Taylormade, which contractually limits what he can sell to their products. I don't think he sells too many pentas but the I guess clientele of our local muni isn't looking to pay that much :P The mid level bridgestones sell like hot cakes, and when I actually had I think the E6's in stock at work, we sold through them quickly but never got another shipment -.- I think the surprise to me is that although we carry the NXT/NXT Tour, I can not sell one to save my life, we sell the DT Carry/Roll and HP3's all the time, but I can not get someone to go up a tier and get the NXT's, it's not THAT big of a price gap?

Originally Posted by BDMplayer910

That's funny, because at the shop I work in, although it is a private club, Titleist is ALL we sell. We couldn't give away our Callaway and Taylormade premium balls. And also, this Titleist junkie is not a douche, so don't label them all. The only ones I see with bad attitudes are people who are a hell of a player and know it, maybe it's a coincidence a lot of them play Titleist....

Got one!:P jk, like I said it's just the one's I've met personally who have been total tools haha (which might coincide with them being high schoolers or 40 year old guys who are drunk by the 5th hole :P). I just think all manufacturers make good products, and sticking to just 1 company limits your options :P And having the attitude that anything non-X brand is inferior seems ignorant to me :/ (not saying you, but a lot of the people i've met).

But, to the other point, do you know if your pro is a Titleist staff pro? I know my instructor is a Bridgestone guy, and to a smaller extent he carries some Taylormade, which contractually limits what he can sell to their products. I don't think he sells too many pentas but the I guess clientele of our local muni isn't looking to pay that much :P The mid level bridgestones sell like hot cakes, and when I actually had I think the E6's in stock at work, we sold through them quickly but never got another shipment -.- I think the surprise to me is that although we carry the NXT/NXT Tour, I can not sell one to save my life, we sell the DT Carry/Roll and HP3's all the time, but I can not get someone to go up a tier and get the NXT's, it's not THAT big of a price gap?

It's like buying a car. Why get every possible option and with the base engine and suspension package, when you could spend slightly more and get all those options and then some, standard, with a better (usually) engine? I mean, if saving money and using less gas was the reason, why weigh the car down with extra options that are basically just window dressing?

Anway, back on topic, why would they get a more expensive Titleist if in the end, it's still not a Pro V1?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by i-Guy

Has anyone gamed either of the two folloing balls and can compare to ProV1x:

1)  Burner Tour

2)  Burner TP

Thanks.

The Burner TP is my main ball usually.  I love it, and it's a great ball for the price.  I usually get mine used in bulk from lostgolfballs.com, but you can still find them new at some stores.  It's about on par with the NXT Tour as far as spin goes, and a tad longer.  It's got good spin around the greens, not ProV1 spin, but good enough to hop and stop.

I've haven't tried the Burner Tour yet, but from what I've heard it's different from the now discontinued Burner TP.

I don't play a Titleist ball because they don't offer one that matches my price and performance criteria. I tried the NXT Tour. I played well with it, but I see no reason to pay an extra few bucks per dozen for it.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I played Titleist ProVs ,Nike PD Solf , Mizuno , Percept EV . Normal round , Nike PD Solf is not bad and it is half of what you pay for ProVs. Important games , proVs it is !
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

I traditionally have always played Titleist NXT or Prov1(only if I find them though). However my last round I bought Topflight Gamer v2 on a tip from my friends uncle who was the pro at the shop.  I gotta say I loved these balls, durable, distance, and good spin they stopped on the greens all day I dont think I bounced off a green once during that round.

So ill be switching to these I felt much more comfortable in the 60-80 yd range that my shots would actually be stopping on the green.

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

No the pro isn't a Titleist staffer, he's on Taylormades staff. I work at a private club so its completely different, they can afford them and ever hackers feel like they have to play a Pro-V. Pentas sold really bad, even though the ball is pretty good, Premium Callaways never sell, we only sell a few of the lower end balls because EVERYBODY buys pro-v's,

cameron.gif   Studio Design 1.0   titleist.gif Pro V1    c2_beer.gif It's a Wisconsin thing.

I took the plunge on a sleeve of Pro V1x after my practice round yesterday so will be trying them next time out. I'm not sure I'll see that much difference between them and my normal Srixon AD333's with my handicap but who knows... ;)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Exactly, that's the only reason I'm miffed we contractually can't sell them, I have at least 4 duffers a day requesting them or asking if we have them, and that's business I have to sell elsewhere, at $45 a dozen that's almost $200 out the door (whether or not they actually need the prov1), by the end of the week, that's almost a grand. We get a LOT of business from chicago people who "vacation" to Lake Geneva, got deep pockets, and always ask for the expensive balls. So when summer comes around and they come in hordes on weekends, that's definitely thousands of dollars I lose merely because of a ball, such is life :P I also am surprised at how bad the penta has sold in this area, I can walk through the thick stuff around here or near lateral hazards and find handfulls of prov1's...but I've only found 1 penta in 2 years. I can only deduce that either 1: they don't sell well, or 2: people just don't lose them....I'm arguing heavily on option 1 :D

Originally Posted by BDMplayer910

No the pro isn't a Titleist staffer, he's on Taylormades staff. I work at a private club so its completely different, they can afford them and ever hackers feel like they have to play a Pro-V. Pentas sold really bad, even though the ball is pretty good, Premium Callaways never sell, we only sell a few of the lower end balls because EVERYBODY buys pro-v's,

• 2 weeks later...

The Penta is a good golf ball, I played it for most of the summer last year, I just don't feel it performs around the greens as well. It has the distance of the X, but the spin of a regular, a hybrid of both if you will, and to me, more control around the greens is much, MUCH more important that 3 or 4 yards off the tee.

It was an attempt by TM to dent Titleist's ball market, but from what I see, the players still play the Pro-V's, and the lower handicaps and even the hackers will play them because they're Titleist. When you think golf balls, you don't think TM, they haven't been around long enough in the ball market, their hiatus from the market hurt them, and they are known for drivers and woods, not irons and balls.

I thought it was interesting they brought back the TP black series this year. I thought that ball was junk, absolutely no control around the greens and no improvement on yardage over Titleist, Callaway, or Srixon's. Out of all t he big manufacturers, TM rocks are definitely the weakest, although the Penta is a good ball. They should stick to what they know best and selling ridiculous amounts of drivers and fairways.

Exactly, that's the only reason I'm miffed we contractually can't sell them, I have at least 4 duffers a day requesting them or asking if we have them, and that's business I have to sell elsewhere, at $45 a dozen that's almost $200 out the door (whether or not they actually need the prov1), by the end of the week, that's almost a grand. We get a LOT of business from chicago people who "vacation" to Lake Geneva, got deep pockets, and always ask for the expensive balls. So when summer comes around and they come in hordes on weekends, that's definitely thousands of dollars I lose merely because of a ball, such is life :P I also am surprised at how bad the penta has sold in this area, I can walk through the thick stuff around here or near lateral hazards and find handfulls of prov1's...but I've only found 1 penta in 2 years. I can only deduce that either 1: they don't sell well, or 2: people just don't lose them....I'm arguing heavily on option 1 :D

I play the Bridgestone B330-rx because it is the perfect ball for me. I dont think the prov1 fits my game. I also think titleists are too shreddable.

"drive for show, putt for dough"

Note: This thread is 4617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!