Jump to content
IGNORED

For those who do NOT use Titleist golf balls...


Note: This thread is 3672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts



Originally Posted by max power

Thanks for explaining things so I don't have to.  People want to pay for the word Titleist and Ttileist knows it.  If the Nike One Tour D said "ProV1X" and cost $45 everyone would sing its praises.  Same goes for the TM TP Black and the regular ProV1.


No argument there... My point was with the exception of those two balls you mentioned the Pro V1s are within 5 dollars of other "tour" balls...  I suspect that the only reason that the Tour and Tour D is that cheap is that they want to clear out stock before the 20XI arrives and the TP Blacks, while a great tour level ball, are on the back burner for TM as they are focusing on the Penta.  I'm just saying that if your reason for not playing the Pro V1s over say the Penta or Z-Star is price that doesn't make since to me because it's really only a $5 difference at the most.

At the mid range price, I agree that Titleist is over priced.. the NXT Tours are $30 which is $10 more than the Gamer V2s and $5 more than other mid range balls... And I know, its only $5, but at least to me there is a bigger difference between $25 and $30 than there is between $40 and $45....  On top of that, the argument could be made that of the premium balls, the Pro V1 is the best and the price is justified, at the mid range level that isn't so much the case as offering from Bridgestone, Srixon, and Top-Flite are often rated higher than the NXT Tour.

As I said earlier, the only reason that I use the NXTs right now is that I happened to get a decent deal on them... $1.50/ball (they're logo overruns, which I don't care about).  I wanted to give them a try and I played well with it so I'm sticking with it for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Personally, titleist junkies just annoy me :P Not even the guy in all nike or taylormade gear has as much attitude as the guys I've met who are decked out in titleist from the driver down to the bag/balls/tees/towel/divot tool lol (yes I'm generalizing from my experiences

Economically, I can save $5 and get the Srixon Z-star which although shorter, feels better to me and works just as well around the greens. Or at work I can buy Callaway Tour i(s) or Nike One Tour's for 25% off and get them for like $33.  And for people who price is of no concern, the 5-15 bucks saves adds up quickly to perhaps pay for a green fee at the course I'm not a member at, or paying for a friend to play with me, or lunch/dinner at the restaurant, or just to put in my savings account. Same thing as staying later at work, yeah it might suck, but that's extra cash at payday to put away for a rainy day.

From a business point of view, titleist are douchebags from our vantage point. I don't want them so I can buy them, we just would make a lot more money if we did sell them. For instance I can sell Taylormade's tour ball, Nike's tour ball, Callaway's Tour ball (and Bridgestone's when we carried them, and I could probably sell Srixon if our company bought them)....but not Titleist Pro v1's, which I get a few people a day asking for them. Why the hell do I have to have X number of PGA Professionals on staff for Z number of stores in the company to be able to sell a freakin box of golf balls when big box department stores, or our competition down the street who also have no PGA Pro have them on shelves? (and I'm not counting the "recycled" pro v1's because we do have those and so does wal-mart and k-mart, shopko...etc, it was funny when my boss took a picture of the actual Pro V1 boxes at KMart and sent it to our DM just going "WTF?").

But from just trying different balls last year from each company, I just ended up settling on the Srixon Z-star or the Callaway Tour i(s) depending on which I can get for cheaper whenever I have to buy them because to me they felt and performed the best for my game personally. Whether or not you do the ball fittings is up to you, since every brand will still try and recommend (push) their ball over whatever you are using, it's just guess and check, trial and error :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites


That's funny, because at the shop I work in, although it is a private club, Titleist is ALL we sell. We couldn't give away our Callaway and Taylormade premium balls. And also, this Titleist junkie is not a douche, so don't label them all. The only ones I see with bad attitudes are people who are a hell of a player and know it, maybe it's a coincidence a lot of them play Titleist....

Originally Posted by DarkPrince

Personally, titleist junkies just annoy me :P Not even the guy in all nike or taylormade gear has as much attitude as the guys I've met who are decked out in titleist from the driver down to the bag/balls/tees/towel/divot tool lol (yes I'm generalizing from my experiences

Economically, I can save $5 and get the Srixon Z-star which although shorter, feels better to me and works just as well around the greens. Or at work I can buy Callaway Tour i(s) or Nike One Tour's for 25% off and get them for like $33.  And for people who price is of no concern, the 5-15 bucks saves adds up quickly to perhaps pay for a green fee at the course I'm not a member at, or paying for a friend to play with me, or lunch/dinner at the restaurant, or just to put in my savings account. Same thing as staying later at work, yeah it might suck, but that's extra cash at payday to put away for a rainy day.

From a business point of view, titleist are douchebags from our vantage point. I don't want them so I can buy them, we just would make a lot more money if we did sell them. For instance I can sell Taylormade's tour ball, Nike's tour ball, Callaway's Tour ball (and Bridgestone's when we carried them, and I could probably sell Srixon if our company bought them)....but not Titleist Pro v1's, which I get a few people a day asking for them. Why the hell do I have to have X number of PGA Professionals on staff for Z number of stores in the company to be able to sell a freakin box of golf balls when big box department stores, or our competition down the street who also have no PGA Pro have them on shelves? (and I'm not counting the "recycled" pro v1's because we do have those and so does wal-mart and k-mart, shopko...etc, it was funny when my boss took a picture of the actual Pro V1 boxes at KMart and sent it to our DM just going "WTF?").

But from just trying different balls last year from each company, I just ended up settling on the Srixon Z-star or the Callaway Tour i(s) depending on which I can get for cheaper whenever I have to buy them because to me they felt and performed the best for my game personally. Whether or not you do the ball fittings is up to you, since every brand will still try and recommend (push) their ball over whatever you are using, it's just guess and check, trial and error :P



Link to comment
Share on other sites


I play Callaway Tour IS most of the time, I don't know why but i just feel comfortable with it. I also play the Srixon at times and feel comfortable there as well. For some reason the ProV just doesn't feel right to me...i think it is in my head but it is still there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Pentas, because I like the feel. Distance is the same for all the good balls.  Tried the Bridgestone 330-RXs and wanted to like them, but didn't.  Need to give the Srixons a try, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I play Callaway HX Hot or the Warbird if I'm feeling cheap. Why? Probably superstition about clubs being fitted for the same maker's balls. Other than that, the Hot has a nice orange label that is easy to see - I hardly see anyone playing them, and they are hard to scuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Got one!:P jk, like I said it's just the one's I've met personally who have been total tools haha (which might coincide with them being high schoolers or 40 year old guys who are drunk by the 5th hole :P). I just think all manufacturers make good products, and sticking to just 1 company limits your options :P And having the attitude that anything non-X brand is inferior seems ignorant to me :/ (not saying you, but a lot of the people i've met).

But, to the other point, do you know if your pro is a Titleist staff pro? I know my instructor is a Bridgestone guy, and to a smaller extent he carries some Taylormade, which contractually limits what he can sell to their products. I don't think he sells too many pentas but the I guess clientele of our local muni isn't looking to pay that much :P The mid level bridgestones sell like hot cakes, and when I actually had I think the E6's in stock at work, we sold through them quickly but never got another shipment -.- I think the surprise to me is that although we carry the NXT/NXT Tour, I can not sell one to save my life, we sell the DT Carry/Roll and HP3's all the time, but I can not get someone to go up a tier and get the NXT's, it's not THAT big of a price gap?

Originally Posted by BDMplayer910

That's funny, because at the shop I work in, although it is a private club, Titleist is ALL we sell. We couldn't give away our Callaway and Taylormade premium balls. And also, this Titleist junkie is not a douche, so don't label them all. The only ones I see with bad attitudes are people who are a hell of a player and know it, maybe it's a coincidence a lot of them play Titleist....



Link to comment
Share on other sites




Originally Posted by DarkPrince

Got one!:P jk, like I said it's just the one's I've met personally who have been total tools haha (which might coincide with them being high schoolers or 40 year old guys who are drunk by the 5th hole :P). I just think all manufacturers make good products, and sticking to just 1 company limits your options :P And having the attitude that anything non-X brand is inferior seems ignorant to me :/ (not saying you, but a lot of the people i've met).

But, to the other point, do you know if your pro is a Titleist staff pro? I know my instructor is a Bridgestone guy, and to a smaller extent he carries some Taylormade, which contractually limits what he can sell to their products. I don't think he sells too many pentas but the I guess clientele of our local muni isn't looking to pay that much :P The mid level bridgestones sell like hot cakes, and when I actually had I think the E6's in stock at work, we sold through them quickly but never got another shipment -.- I think the surprise to me is that although we carry the NXT/NXT Tour, I can not sell one to save my life, we sell the DT Carry/Roll and HP3's all the time, but I can not get someone to go up a tier and get the NXT's, it's not THAT big of a price gap?



It's like buying a car. Why get every possible option and with the base engine and suspension package, when you could spend slightly more and get all those options and then some, standard, with a better (usually) engine? I mean, if saving money and using less gas was the reason, why weigh the car down with extra options that are basically just window dressing?

Anway, back on topic, why would they get a more expensive Titleist if in the end, it's still not a Pro V1?

Link to comment
Share on other sites




Originally Posted by i-Guy

Has anyone gamed either of the two folloing balls and can compare to ProV1x:

1)  Burner Tour

2)  Burner TP

Thanks.


The Burner TP is my main ball usually.  I love it, and it's a great ball for the price.  I usually get mine used in bulk from lostgolfballs.com, but you can still find them new at some stores.  It's about on par with the NXT Tour as far as spin goes, and a tad longer.  It's got good spin around the greens, not ProV1 spin, but good enough to hop and stop.

I've haven't tried the Burner Tour yet, but from what I've heard it's different from the now discontinued Burner TP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I don't play a Titleist ball because they don't offer one that matches my price and performance criteria. I tried the NXT Tour. I played well with it, but I see no reason to pay an extra few bucks per dozen for it.
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I traditionally have always played Titleist NXT or Prov1(only if I find them though). However my last round I bought Topflight Gamer v2 on a tip from my friends uncle who was the pro at the shop.  I gotta say I loved these balls, durable, distance, and good spin they stopped on the greens all day I dont think I bounced off a green once during that round.

So ill be switching to these I felt much more comfortable in the 60-80 yd range that my shots would actually be stopping on the green.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


No the pro isn't a Titleist staffer, he's on Taylormades staff. I work at a private club so its completely different, they can afford them and ever hackers feel like they have to play a Pro-V. Pentas sold really bad, even though the ball is pretty good, Premium Callaways never sell, we only sell a few of the lower end balls because EVERYBODY buys pro-v's,

Originally Posted by DarkPrince

Got one!:P jk, like I said it's just the one's I've met personally who have been total tools haha (which might coincide with them being high schoolers or 40 year old guys who are drunk by the 5th hole :P). I just think all manufacturers make good products, and sticking to just 1 company limits your options :P And having the attitude that anything non-X brand is inferior seems ignorant to me :/ (not saying you, but a lot of the people i've met).

But, to the other point, do you know if your pro is a Titleist staff pro? I know my instructor is a Bridgestone guy, and to a smaller extent he carries some Taylormade, which contractually limits what he can sell to their products. I don't think he sells too many pentas but the I guess clientele of our local muni isn't looking to pay that much :P The mid level bridgestones sell like hot cakes, and when I actually had I think the E6's in stock at work, we sold through them quickly but never got another shipment -.- I think the surprise to me is that although we carry the NXT/NXT Tour, I can not sell one to save my life, we sell the DT Carry/Roll and HP3's all the time, but I can not get someone to go up a tier and get the NXT's, it's not THAT big of a price gap?



Link to comment
Share on other sites


I took the plunge on a sleeve of Pro V1x after my practice round yesterday so will be trying them next time out. I'm not sure I'll see that much difference between them and my normal Srixon AD333's with my handicap but who knows... ;)
Link to comment
Share on other sites



Exactly, that's the only reason I'm miffed we contractually can't sell them, I have at least 4 duffers a day requesting them or asking if we have them, and that's business I have to sell elsewhere, at $45 a dozen that's almost $200 out the door (whether or not they actually need the prov1), by the end of the week, that's almost a grand. We get a LOT of business from chicago people who "vacation" to Lake Geneva, got deep pockets, and always ask for the expensive balls. So when summer comes around and they come in hordes on weekends, that's definitely thousands of dollars I lose merely because of a ball, such is life :P I also am surprised at how bad the penta has sold in this area, I can walk through the thick stuff around here or near lateral hazards and find handfulls of prov1's...but I've only found 1 penta in 2 years. I can only deduce that either 1: they don't sell well, or 2: people just don't lose them....I'm arguing heavily on option 1 :D

Originally Posted by BDMplayer910

No the pro isn't a Titleist staffer, he's on Taylormades staff. I work at a private club so its completely different, they can afford them and ever hackers feel like they have to play a Pro-V. Pentas sold really bad, even though the ball is pretty good, Premium Callaways never sell, we only sell a few of the lower end balls because EVERYBODY buys pro-v's,



Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...

The Penta is a good golf ball, I played it for most of the summer last year, I just don't feel it performs around the greens as well. It has the distance of the X, but the spin of a regular, a hybrid of both if you will, and to me, more control around the greens is much, MUCH more important that 3 or 4 yards off the tee.

It was an attempt by TM to dent Titleist's ball market, but from what I see, the players still play the Pro-V's, and the lower handicaps and even the hackers will play them because they're Titleist. When you think golf balls, you don't think TM, they haven't been around long enough in the ball market, their hiatus from the market hurt them, and they are known for drivers and woods, not irons and balls.

I thought it was interesting they brought back the TP black series this year. I thought that ball was junk, absolutely no control around the greens and no improvement on yardage over Titleist, Callaway, or Srixon's. Out of all t he big manufacturers, TM rocks are definitely the weakest, although the Penta is a good ball. They should stick to what they know best and selling ridiculous amounts of drivers and fairways.

Originally Posted by DarkPrince

Exactly, that's the only reason I'm miffed we contractually can't sell them, I have at least 4 duffers a day requesting them or asking if we have them, and that's business I have to sell elsewhere, at $45 a dozen that's almost $200 out the door (whether or not they actually need the prov1), by the end of the week, that's almost a grand. We get a LOT of business from chicago people who "vacation" to Lake Geneva, got deep pockets, and always ask for the expensive balls. So when summer comes around and they come in hordes on weekends, that's definitely thousands of dollars I lose merely because of a ball, such is life :P I also am surprised at how bad the penta has sold in this area, I can walk through the thick stuff around here or near lateral hazards and find handfulls of prov1's...but I've only found 1 penta in 2 years. I can only deduce that either 1: they don't sell well, or 2: people just don't lose them....I'm arguing heavily on option 1 :D



Link to comment
Share on other sites


Note: This thread is 3672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Yeah, I don't really see the problem with what he said in the interview. Nothing wrong here imo. He's not the biggest fan of team events and isn't quite comfortable in it compared to every other week where it's just himself. Just because he's one of the best players in the world doesn't mean he's supposed to be a huge fan of team events. IIRC, Tiger didn't come across as the most enthusiastic player in those events either, at least not in some parts of his career. People are different and not everyone enjoy playing in a team. Some love that stuff and soak up all the energy. Others have their energy sapped by those things. It is of course the same for every player, deviating from the typical tour routines, but people deal with it in different ways. Brooks might be one that struggle more with the transition, but I doubt he's the only one.
    • Yeah, I don't really see the problem with what he said in the interview. Nothing wrong here imo. He's not the biggest fan of team events and isn't quite comfortable in it compared to every other week where it's just himself. Just because he's one of the best players in the world doesn't mean he's supposed to be a huge fan of team events. IIRC, Tiger didn't come across as the most enthusiastic player in those events either, at least not in some parts of his career. People are different and not everyone enjoy playing in a team. Some love that stuff and soak up all the energy. Others have their energy sapped by those things. It is of course the same for every player, deviating from the typical tour routines, but people deal with it in different ways. Brooks might be one that struggle more with the transition, but I doubt he's the only one.
    • Day 47: A little work on priority piece and a little work on COVID-19 day 6/7 drills. 
    • Day 47: A little work on priority piece and a little work on COVID-19 day 6/7 drills. 
    • Day 201.  Played 18 holes today.  A course where I should have hit more than the 5 GIR I hit and should have shot lower than the 87 I did.  The driving range was closed before the round, and I hit my opening tee shot O.B..  😞  Not sure why I missed so many shots, especially driver, right.  Will have to do some outdoor practice to complement my indoor practice to ensure I'm not getting wild. 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Aj_ ninja
      Aj_ ninja
      (35 years old)
    2. Bay20
      Bay20
      (56 years old)
    3. boomer15
      boomer15
      (46 years old)
    4. ckeller52
      ckeller52
      (65 years old)
    5. Drmizz
      Drmizz
      (50 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...