IGNORED

I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt to the golf course. So?

PaulMVR
Note: This thread is 4767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you don't think the golf swing requires any physical exertion then sorry, but you are probably doing it wrong. I just cannot for the live of me, turn my hips well enough in jeans to make a good golf swing.

In the carry bag:
'07 Burner 10.5 Driver (S Flex)
Hyper X 5 Wood
J33CB 4-PW Irons (S Flex)
Vokey 54-10 Spin Milled Watson 08 60 Lob Wedge G5i Blade

No jeans...I wear them plenty off the course but I have never worn a pair on the course.  I think jeans have their place and the golf course is not that place (but I do see the merit of mud golf and jeans).  The same goes for tank tops.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by Jesh

If you don't think the golf swing requires any physical exertion then sorry, but you are probably doing it wrong. I just cannot for the live of me, turn my hips well enough in jeans to make a good golf swing.

Men (and women) have been working in jeans for years and years. Performing a lot more physically demanding tasks than hitting a golf ball. Maybe you should stop buying jeans to fit like the DKNY ads in GQ - skinny jeans I think they're called these days. We used to call them stovepipes or punk jeans.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

lol meenman a troll?

Anyway, I've worn jeans on a few occasions, but only on muni courses and when its colder outside and not as many people are on the course. That being said, agreed that jeans are too restrictive - but hey, as long as you are abiding by the rules, wear whatever is most comfortable for ya!

I don't wear jeans for a couple reasons. 1) I just look better in khakis, simple as that. They tend to fit me better, and I think they simply look better. It's not like it takes any extra effort to put khakis on instead of jeans. 2) Khakis are much, much more comfortable. The jeans that fit me tend to be slightly on the baggy side (not the rapper, hanging off my ass look, but baggier than skinny jeans) and aren't fit as well, but when I buy khakis I get them tailored (which, if you're smart about it, can cost about $5). 3) Khaki pockets are easier to put stuff in and get stuff out of. 4) Cheap khakis and polo shirts don't cost much more at all than cheap jeans and t-shirts. Shop around people, it doesn't have to be a poor vs. rich discussion.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Grndslmhttr3

I could not wear jeans while golfing, for a few reasons. One, because I don't think it looks good or right(yes, I'm one of those people), and two, jeans are heavy and restrict movement. I usually wear jeans on any given day, but I like having light, loose clothing on when golfing, because it's much more comfortable.

This.  Enough said.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe I've been buying my jeans to loose (see 1 year old video below)? Okay at the range, but I do play better when I look spiffy.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Maybe I've been buying my jeans to loose (see 1 year old video below)? Okay at the range, but I do play better when I look spiffy.

sean, besides looking at your jeans I noticed something with your swing that Im working on with my swing. Some people I guess call it humping the goat, lol (coming off the wall). You should do that drill i have in my swing thread, its a good thing to work on man. Your stance is a little closed but you still lunge into the ball at the start of the downswing everytime

sean1.jpg

sean2.jpg

Originally Posted by motteler621

sean, besides looking at your jeans I noticed something with your swing that Im working on with my swing. Some people I guess call it humping the goat, lol (coming off the wall). You should do that drill i have in my swing thread, its a good thing to work on man.

That's partially due to camera angle in that vid, but you're probably right. They were at the start of the season and it wasn't my best day.

Still better than 2 years ago (Fybrid below) when my swing was awful - hands too low at address. I'm only posting this one because lo and behold, I'm also wearing jeans (they're grey, but jeans nonetheless).

That's partially due to camera angle in that vid, but you're probably right. They were at the start of the season and it wasn't my best day. Still better than 2 years ago (Fybrid below) when my swing was awful - hands too low at address. I'm only posting this one because lo and behold, I'm also wearing jeans (they're grey, but jeans nonetheless).

yea I dont want to hijack the jean thread, lol, but yea the video is more to the right than it should be I think. Should be on toe line, you can still see you are coming off the wall pretty bad though. Hold a pen up to your butt line at address, you shouldnt come off this line really at all during the swing. check out some of your favorite tour players, you'l notice they dont come off the wall.

Originally Posted by motteler621

yea I dont want to hijack the jean thread, lol, but yea the video is more to the right than it should be I think. Should be on toe line, you can still see you are coming off the wall pretty bad though. Hold a pen up to your butt line at address, you shouldnt come off this line really at all during the swing. check out some of your favorite tour players, you'l notice they dont come off the wall.

Don't sweat it - now there's evidence that a person can hit a golf ball while wearing jeans.

I notice that my Mizuno irons feel too short and wonder if that makes me squat too much. I don't feel that way with my Cleveland TA1s since they're a bit longer (in the video where I don't have a hat on - striped sweater). I suspect the goats breathe a little easier when I use the Clevelands, but never let their guard down. Thanks for the tips!!

Originally Posted by PaulMVR

Some other SandTrap threads have got me thinking about clothing...

The only clothes I own are jeans and t-shirts.  I own one golf shirt and I usually don't wear it, and if I do wear it, it's with jeans.

I've never been to a course that enforces any sort of dress code, not even Bunker Hills(minnesota) as far as I know.

I wear shorts if it's really hot outside, and if it's really cold then it's jeans and a baggy sweatshirt.

Is it beneficial to the golf game to wear "golf" clothes because they're more comfortable?  Or is it just to look more sophisticated?, I've never thought "hey, I should have some extra outfits just for golf".. Although I do want to start wearing some of that stuff...

Anyone ever see a scratch golfer wearing jeans and a t-shirt while playing?

Hell, If I was a good golfer, I'd buy a bunch of the John Daly  Loud Mouth pants... but I don't think you want to draw a lot of attention to yourself when you can barely hit the ball.

Id agree that if thats what you are comfortable in and the courses you play on allow it, it doesnt matter to me.  Around here is much the same and its not like Im going to look down my nose at someone who chooses to dress like that for golf.  It doesnt effect me or my game, so who cares?

Ive never heard of Bunker Hills, but I know that on the nicer courses here in Wisconsin like Blackworld Run and Whistling Straits they wont let you on the course wearing a t-shirt and jeans.  They have a very strict, "collared shirts and no jeans" requirement.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by jamo

Cheap khakis and polo shirts don't cost much more at all than cheap jeans and t-shirts. Shop around people, it doesn't have to be a poor vs. rich discussion.

Exactly.  You can buy polos for $20 and khakis for $35 at Target.  I honestly dont get how anyone could not own at least 1 polo and 1 pair of khakis.  What do these people wear to weddings, funerals or when they go out to nice restaurants?

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Don't sweat it - now there's evidence that a person can hit a golf ball while wearing jeans.

I notice that my Mizuno irons feel too short and wonder if that makes me squat too much. I don't feel that way with my Cleveland TA1s since they're a bit longer (in the video where I don't have a hat on - striped sweater). I suspect the goats breathe a little easier when I use the Clevelands, but never let their guard down. Thanks for the tips!!

no problem. Helped out my swing alot when I started working on it. I always knew that I came off the wall (from video) but I never did the drill to fix it until recently and its one of the best fixes Ive done to my swing. Video tape yourself with the clevelands at the toe line, impossible to tell in that video with striped sweater because of the view but Ive got my money on you still coming off the wall with them, you do with the G10 too. You've learned to just work with it but you will get better if you fix it

btw, I need to buy some golf clothes. I literally have none and play in jeans all the time. I wear cargo shorts during summer

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Exactly.  You can buy polos for $20 and khakis for $35 at Target.  I honestly dont get how anyone could not own at least 1 polo and 1 pair of khakis.  What do these people wear to weddings, funerals or when they go out to nice restaurants?

I don't think anyone is saying they can't afford polos and khakis they would just rather wear jeans.  I don't know why people keep bringing up weddings and funerals, its not even close to the same thing in my mind.

I have gone jeans and t-shirt to a driving range. After about 10 minutes I was a sweaty mess and very uncomfortable. But the argument can be made if you wear a regular cotton polo instead of the cool moisture wicking stuff. I wear those polos and am comfortable, I also just got some golf pants, khakis got a bit too hot also.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

I don't think anyone is saying they can't afford polos and khakis they would just rather wear jeans.  I don't know why people keep bringing up weddings and funerals, its not even close to the same thing in my mind.

Exactly.  When I play softball, I wear shorts and a t-shirt.  When I play basketball, I wear shorts and a t-shirt.  When I play ultimate, I wear shorts and a t-shirt.  When I play tennis, I wear shorts and a t-shirt.  When I go running, I wear shorts and a t-shirt.  When I lift weights, I wear shorts and a t-shirt.  But for some reason, when I play golf, I'm supposed to wear khakis and a collared shirt.  Golf is a sport (dammit!) and I don't see a valid reason for it to be treated differently from other sports in this regard.

Not to say that like-minded people don't have the right to set the dress code at their golf club, but it bothers me when they claim there's something inherent to golf that justifies their preferences.  There just isn't, it's not the traditional golf attire in the historical sense, it's just that they like to dress that way.

This issue irks me because while I feel the dress code aficionados have the right to do as they will with their private facilities, I feel that their mindset is harmful to the sport.  It tells would-be players that their personal standards, if they don't match the country club standard, aren't good enough.  This isn't an issue of how affordable a pair of khakis and a polo shirt might be, this is an issue that you're telling someone who isn't going to wear those otherwise that he needs to buy them and wear them if he wants to play.  You're telling him that the clothes he, his friends, and his family might have grown up feeling comfortable and presentable in aren't good enough.  That is discouraging, and whether you recognize it or not, it's a reason that's going to encourage him not to bother with that stuffy old-person sport and stick to less pretentious activities.  Golf, unlike a lot of those other sports, requires a large investment of money for the real estate and upkeep, so it needs to be fairly popular if it's going to be available.  Dress codes don't help it in this regard, and I believe they do active harm.

Codes of conduct and an expectation of good etiquette and respect to the course and other golfers are crucial to preserving the game of golf and its important traditions.  A collar on a shirt and soft fabric pants are irrelevant.

• Upvote 2

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note: This thread is 4767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!