IGNORED

Advice for getting started

Note: This thread is 4764 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by mikeblas

I went to a golf shop and met a very nice pro. He showed me some clubs, answered a ton of questions, and essentially gave me a 20 minute lesson -- I used some clubs at the indoor video driving range, and we talked about the differences in some of the equipment. It was quite a great experience. I found out that I should swing +1 clubs because of my height; they're lots more comfortable.

I'm still a bit baffled at the range of available equipment, though. We looked at three beginner sets -- bag, driver, putter, irons and wedges -- and they ranged in price from $200 to $400. There are single putters that cost $200, and single drivers that cost $400. What's the difference? How can one putter be worth as much as a beginner's set? How can one beginner's set be worth twice another?

Ive played hockey my  whole life and when my friends got into it last year they probably spent 300$ on equipment total. I spent 250$ on a stick a few months ago, its all about performance and expectations. If you expect the club to perform up to your level your spend more money on one that will as opposed to less money on one that wont.

Another reason is why do some people wear Gucci TeeShirts when I wear Old Navy or Beer company tee shirts I get for free? Some people like the status....

Honestly be careful with starter sets, one of my friends got one last year to stop using his grandpas 1960's clubs. Hes a good 3-4in taller than me and his clubs are 1in shorter than mine kinda funny how he has to bend wayyyy over to hit them.

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

Originally Posted by saevel25

If your going for a first set, go to a pro and ask if he has any trade ins, there usually good shape and at a good price..

But lessons first, club's second.

Absolutely agree with Lessons first, clubs second. You could try and learn by yourself, but it will take you 5x as long to improve. I started out with my Mum's Powerbilt irons (they even had pink grips) and I got down to an 8 handicap in 2 years with them (starting from scratch). Club's don't really matter when you are working on the right things.

Good luck and welcome to this wonderful and frustrating sport!

Originally Posted by BostonSully

Honestly be careful with starter sets, one of my friends got one last year to stop using his grandpas 1960's clubs. Hes a good 3-4in taller than me and his clubs are 1in shorter than mine kinda funny how he has to bend wayyyy over to hit them.

Thanks for your note, Boston. I'm not sure I understand your anecdote, though. Are you saying that beginners' sets are shorter than regular sets? If I buy the +1 beginner's set that the pro fit for me, it's actually shorter than a regular size set?

That is unlikely. 0 or standard for a male is for 5'10" to 6' 0" or so. +1 is 1 inch longer shaft, therefore is by definition longer.

The typical set of clubs eg something you might get a sports store or costco or a department store are standard size.

Go to one of the clone sites eg pinemeadows.com or hireko.com or gigagolf.com. All have a "fitting" page to give you some idea of the typical size of your clubs.

Michael Krolewski

In the Bag Boy Revolver Pro on a Clicgear 2.0 cart:
Acer Mantara XL Driver 10.5
Acer Mantara S.S 3 Wood; 3DX DC 15* Hybrid (3w/1h); 3DX DC 17* Hybrid (4w/2h); Acer XP905 Ti Hollow Core WS 4-9i; cg14 48* 2dot; cg14 54* 1dot; cg14 60* 1dot

I don't recommend cheap beginners clubs. They are cast from inferior materials, it's better to buy quality used equipment. Since it doesn't make sense to own clubs you can't hit properly with (yet), you can do your buying in stages.  In the begining you can use a half set.  5/6 Irons thru PW. (Half sets are becoming more popular with all the options that now exist to replace long irons. If buying used you will more likely buy a full set.)

There's a number of ways of going about this.  Fairway Wood vs Long Irons vs Hybreds.  It's a decision you can postpone until you can hit your short irons. (If you can't hit an 8/9 iron you can't hit anything.)

The driver is the last club you buy, You need to hit a bunch of drivers to find one that works for you, and until you have a swing down it's a waste of time and money. Lessons before driver.

Puttters: Putters are like shoes - one size and style does not fit all. You need to go to a store where you can fool around with them until you find one that feels right. A $300 putter doesn't putt any better or more accurate then a $100 one, or a $10 one from a thrift store. It's you....not the club. Some of us can putt with a pipe....others need/want a certain feel.

Also drivers and putters are like watches in that some people attach extra status to them.   A Timex will get you to work on time as well as a Rolex,  and Rolex has no problem staying in business.

I am a beginner too and I got a set of clubs on pinemeadowgolf.com (gigagolf.com is another good one).  I paid under $300 including a driver and I am very happy with the quality.  Great way to get started with your own set of clubs imo.

A used set is also a good option if you can find a good deal.

Note: This thread is 4764 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!