IGNORED

r9 driver vs the r11 driver whats better and whats the difference?

Note: This thread is 4406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You can get an R9 driver for about 150 £ or about 230$ i think. The R11 is about twice that price. Is there actually much difference in them and what are the differences.  Would you rather buy the r9 now at half the price or just get the R11 because its that good?

Originally Posted by broombroom

You can get an R9 driver for about 150 £ or about 230$ i think. The R11 is about twice that price. Is there actually much difference in them and what are the differences.  Would you rather buy the r9 now at half the price or just get the R11 because its that good?

I think it comes down to how well you hit one versus the other. If there isn't a major difference, save a few dollars and get the R9. Both can be customized to fit your swing (the R11 more so) but until you hit both, it's hard to recommend one over the other.

Good luck with your choice!

Alan

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Which iteration of the r9?  I'm going to go with the original:

The r11 comes with a stock Fujikura Blur 60 shaft.  The r9, a Fujikura Motore 65.  Shafts are overated, and there's only 5g difference between the two, so make of that what you will.

The stock lie angle for the r11 is 57*; the r9, 59*.  Lie also isn't as important for drivers (because of its length, if the shaft is the proper flex it'll droop at impact in a "just right" lie angle).  You could say that the r9 is more slice-corrective, because of the more upright lie angle, but all other specs would have to be the same.

They both have the TM 360 grip

The r11 is 440cc; the r9 is 430cc.  If you can tell a difference by look and playability, you need to be on Tour.

They'll both be too long for you, unless you're very tall and/or have incredible hand-eye coordination.

Obviously, the r11 has a white crown.  If that's a big deal, so be it.

The r11 also has that sole bumper.  As I said, if you're properly fit for shaft flex, the lie at impact will take care of itself.  So again, if this is a big deal for you, so be it.

Other than that, there isn't much difference.  The r9 was/is a very good club... so why not game it?  All you'd be "missing out on" (using that phrase lightly) would be 10cc head size, 2* lie/the sole bumper (see above) and a newer "it" shaft (no big deal)... oh, and a white crown.  If that's worth an extra $200, that's your decision to make.

I have a feeling if he is talking about a new r9 it's probably the r9 460 which obviously is a 460cc head.  Those can still be found in golf shops and sell for about $150 US compared to $300 a year ago.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Just the standard r9.  The 460 cc doesnt have the weight technology.  I have the r7 quad ht with an aldila nv shaft and am just contemplating if the new drivers with more customizable technology will make a big difference. I think the idea of the customization is great and that it does actually work but will it actually be worth it me buying a new driver?I dont get how people can go out and buy the newest thing all the time when they dont actually change that much.  Like if I hook it a lot I can just set mine up for fade or even just set my stance up for a fade and vice versa which just renders the custom feature useless or better yet fix the problem with my game!  I can also set mine to go lower or higher which is what the r11 does anyway.   The demo clubs around me are scarce so I cant even try the r9 nd r11 but tried the vr pro and i thought it was ok maybe just the tiniest bit more forgiving than mine but it didnt go noticeably further or anything.  I love my driver head but do think I need a stiffer shaft which will cost nearly the same as a new driver anway.

they are both great clubs... the minor upgrades between the r11 and the r9 arent worth that much to me... i think we would all be suprised with the amount of circulation the r9 still has on tour... its still the best driver i ever hit...

Driver: Taylor Made R9, Woods: Callaway Hyper X 3 wood, Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 20 degree Irons: Callaway X-20's, Wedge: Cleveland 588 56 degree, Putter: Cleveland CC 6 Classic Black Platinum, Ball: Noodle, Shoes: Contour

Maryland Golf and Country Club in Bel Air, MD.

• 11 months later...

I agree the R-9 is the best Diver I've ever hit also. I've tried a 9 and 10.5 R11 drivers and 10.5 performed better then the 9 but just something about the R-11, its cool looking.  I had to put my shaft in the R11 to even come close to performing as well as my R9.

I had the R9 driver and just recently purchased the R11. I also swung the R11s but for the price i went with the R11. A buddy of mine told me about the company Shotly they were bar none the cheapest on the driver I could find, I think I paid $300 for the R11 9.0 Stiff Flex shipped. My club speed was a little faster with the R11. I tried the clubs out at Dick's and purchased online. Love the R11 and was very happy with the purchase from Shotly.

I was looking at an R11s in the Pro Shop the other day, I don't think I could get along with the white Crown, I realise performance comes before looks (or should do) but its a shame they dont offer the same club with a Black Crown, i'd be straight on it!

R9 Supertri 10.5 Fubuki Alpha Stiff Shaft

Mizuno JPX Fli Hi 3, 4, 5

Mizuno MX300 Irons, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW

Mizuno MX300 Gap Wedge

Mizuno MP R12 56 Sand Wedge

Scotty Cameron Kombi Putter.

Take some gloss black paint in a can and spray it, its a small surface so you'll be able to do a perfect job with a few light coats. And the matte finish will make the new paint stick great.

Originally Posted by papswing

I was looking at an R11s in the Pro Shop the other day, I don't think I could get along with the white Crown, I realise performance comes before looks (or should do) but its a shame they dont offer the same club with a Black Crown, i'd be straight on it!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!