IGNORED

How many balls are in your bag at the start of play?

pueblo
Note: This thread is 4761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I usually have at least a dozen new good balls for when a tournament arises, and when I run out of those I buy another dozen.  But, I always have at least a dozen balls in my bag.  I seem to average out between losing and finding balls, so I never really need to buy new balls.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depends on when it is, at most 15 to 20 balls. I usually go up to walmart every couple of weeks so I usually pick up a pack as needed and just load my bag with it. When I start getting below 4 or 5 I load the bag back up again.

Originally Posted by soloredd

I usually have 2 sleeves of new ProV1x and then about 10-15 gently used balls I buy from a website. I've had a few rounds where I just can't stop losing balls so I'll switch to the used ones.

Then you dont lose one for the rest of the round after switching. Am I correct? haha always seems to work that way.

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

I usually carry 9 balls. A few years ago I was complaining to my son about the weight of his bag. I counted the balls, and a 12 year old was carrying a bag with 54.5 balls. That's right one half of a ball!

Ha ha!  A friend bought me a sleeve of ProV1s for my birthday last year.  Since they were a gift, and a good ball, I saved them for the day I was playing a nice course and my swing felt grooved.  I think I lost the first two with my first two tee shots.  I put the 3rd one back in the bag, grabbed a few shag balls, and didn't lose another for the rest of the round.

Originally Posted by BostonSully

Then you dont lose one for the rest of the round after switching. Am I correct? haha always seems to work that way.

ohh this is an interesting thread.

ive always assumed better players carried around 3 balls since they seldom lose 'em.  when i first started playing, i used to carry around 20 balls out of fear that i'd lose them all...nothing more embarrasing and stressful than being down to a single ball with several holes to play!  these days i carry around 8 (never realized how heavy balls were!) and yet when i think of putting in only 6 or so, the fear makes me throw in a couple extra, haha

I just recently made the change from playing Nike Mojos and Juice balls, realizing that it really does make a big difference to pay a little more for my balls. (Srixon AD333's right now, though I was just given a dozen Z's) Sadly last year I found some great buy on Mojos and Juices, so right now my bag has a TON of those floating around in it. I typically pop a new sleeve and keep those three balls in my pocket as I go. When I blow through those, be it one round or 3, I pull from the Nikes until I'm done with that round then on my next one I open a new sleeve. I should point out, though, that I pretty much ride all the time, so the weight isn't a big issue for me.

Usually the same number as were in it when I finished the previous round.

If my ball pocket was getting low, then might add a sleeve or 2 (generally not more than 8 total), but the only time I really take it under consideration is when I'm playing a new course, or one on which I have lost multiple balls in the past.  Then I like to be prepared.  I usually have anywhere from a couple of sleeves to a full dozen in my trunk, so I add to the bag as needed.  I have no set quantity that I shoot for.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I lose my fair share, so I keep a couple dozen in the bag (I've been known to pull a "Tin Cup" on my nemesis water hole & practically clear out my bag ...)

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Probably 6-7 of my 'good' balls, then probalby a bunch of not-so-good balls that get found along the way.  If I happen to be walking, I will trim it down to just the 6 or 7.  I keep a bunch of balls in the car so if I am playing a scramble, or any sort of format where I am not 100% dependent on my tee shot, I will take a bunch of extras.  That way I can just grip and rip off the tee and if I don't want to look for the ball I can just leave it.

The only thing I am concerned about is have a minimum of 5 of my good balls in the bag to start a round.  I usually don't may too much attention to what is in there otherwise.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I try to have a least 4 when I start but don't ever have more than a dozen.  I usually leave the course with more balls than I started with, but not always.  I save the ones I find for the Grandkids and donate most a Charity Garage Sale I support every year.

Butch

I usually carry about 20 balls in my bag. Right now I have a Ping Latitude bag, and it has a pretty big detachable shag bag, so I keep a lot of balls in it. When I'm not playing in a tournament, I only have 2 or 3 new balls in my bag, the rest are just lightly scuffed. I use lightly scuffed balls for non-tournament rounds, and always use new balls for tournaments. In tournaments I carry 6-9 new balls, and switch out balls once they get a scuff on them. It could be every 3 holes, I could also have a new ball every hole for a couple holes. And last year I won a tournament playing only one ball. It all depends on what happens to it. The balls I take out of play in a tournament are still very playable, but there's just something about having a brand new ball that helps my confidence a bit. Again, I used these balls for casual rounds and practice. Once I get a different bag for my university team next year I might have to lighten the load a bit haha

I usually keep 2-3 sleeves in my bag so 6-9 balls total. If I'm testing various balls or practicing though, I've been known to have twice as many as that. I prefer to walk and carry so I don't like to lug to many around.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

I always have a sleeve of new ProV in my bag, will bring 1 dozen of preown balls from last games.

If my first 3 holes is in good shape, i will take out the new ball to hit, if 1st hole double par (4 over a par 4), will used the oldest ball in my bag....

I usually have 6-12 new balls, if I get through one hole, then it's a gently used ball, and I don't worry if something happens to it.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Note: This thread is 4761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!