IGNORED

Pants or Shorts in Summer

Note: This thread is 4443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah, playing in Kentucky with pants once the weather gets warm will have you feeling pretty uncomfortable...I don't care how "breathable" you think they are.

The humidity is so crazy that there isn't much of anything that feels truly comfortable but shorts are the best option.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by B of H

why would anyone wear pants if they don't have to?

I hope you're not just talking about golf, because those are words to live by!

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

southern AZ shorts only

Wilson FG Tour 4-SW

Alpha Driver

Adams Speedline 3W
Oddessy #9 Putter

Bridgestone B330-S

for me its always pants.  i play in palm springs mid-summer, and wear dry-fit, white pants.   the wick-away keeps 'em try from my sweat, and the pants have UVA/UVB protection so i don't have to put sunscreen on them.   i wouldn't do shorts in such weather as sun protection is my #1 worry when i'm outside..

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

I agree that sun protection is the #1 reason to wear pants. Here's another reason: you can wipe your club head on your pants after your practice swing and before you hit your shot. Look at the pros; that's what they do.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

Originally Posted by Kujan

I agree that sun protection is the #1 reason to wear pants.

Here's another reason: you can wipe your club head on your pants after your practice swing and before you hit your shot. Look at the pros; that's what they do.

Don't they just toss the club to their caddie? Around here pants on a hot day, no matter how high tech they are, would look a little strange. I don't golf between 10:00 and 14:00 though, so I don't have to worry about melanoma on my calves. At least not any more than any where else.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I've played from Florida to Idaho, California to Wisconsin, as well as my home state of Colorado and I've never seen anyplace where the heavily predominate summer apparel of choice was anything but shorts.  It only takes an application of sunscreen before and once in mid round to get adequate UV protection,  I usually forget the mid round application, but a couple of hours of varying exposure doesn't seem to be that harmful.  I do wear a wide brim Tilley hat, and that does an excellent job of protecting my face, neck and ears.  I'm 64, usually carry a good tan on my arms and legs all summer.

I'm a scuba diver and snorkeler, former whitewater kayaker, used to do a lot of hiking and backpacking in the mountains (almost always in shorts there too), often above 10,000 feet where the sun can be a real killer. Add golf to that and I've spent a much of my recreational life outdoors in the sun and have never been diagnosed with any abnormal skin issues.  Using sunscreen and seeking shade when available goes a long way toward avoiding such problems.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by Uber$winG

Well said...

Ha Ha!

ping.gif Hoofer C1 Stand Bag
taylormade.gif R11 10.5 Driver 

taylormade.gif RBZ #3 Fairway Wood
cleveland.gif Launcher DST #5 Fairway Wood
wishon.gif 785HF #3, #4, #5 Hybrids - Graphite shaft
wishon.gif 770cfe #6-SW - Graphite shaftodyssey.gif White Ice Putter  

Used to wear nothing but shorts when the temperature got above 50 *F.  But now I wear nothing but pants when playing golf.  Light breathable fabrics help keep my legs cool by avoiding direct heating from sun rays.  Also, I don't have to put on greasy suntan lotion--albeit there are non-greasy suntan oils available.

Plus, I think pants just looks better.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

i live in houston like the OP, and i cannot even begin to fathom wearing anything but shorts in the summer.  i sweat like a hooker in church though, so to each his own i guess.

Originally Posted by iacas

My wife (and a few previous girlfriends) tell me I've got great legs, too, so it's not about hiding 'em. ;-)

Pics or BS... just kidding.

I 'm a pants guy

WITB:

Fast 10 10.5* Driver  |  adams.gif Fast 10 15* 3 Wood  |  adams.gif Idea V3 19* Hybrid  |  titleist.gif 710 AP1 4-GW  |    55* and 60* Wedges  |  Lajosi KLP7J Putter

I live in the desert, even the club pros here wear shorts when they play casual rounds. The shorts come out in March and stay out into November.

Originally Posted by Kujan

Pants look much better on the golf course. Shorts are good after you hit the shower.

You would look really good here, until your legs spontaneously combusted. It was 104 degrees here last week, I don't care how breathable or light a pair of pants are they are too hot for summer in the desert!

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I'm stunned at the number of people here who say they wear slacks in the summer.  I work as a starter and I can count the number of players in long pants on one hand most days at my home course.  Nobody I know plays in slacks during the summer.  Most start wearing shorts the first semi-warm day in March or April and continue to do so until October.

The percentages here in this thread and the percentages I see in real life on the course aren't even in the same ball park.

I concur, I too work at a golf course and could count on one hand the people who come in wearing long pants. Although some guy did come in last week when we hit 104, he walked the front 9 in jeans! Needless to say he took advantage of the special our shop was running on some new Nike shorts for the backside.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• 1 month later...

Lots of Houston golfers on here it seems.  I'm firmly entrenched in the shorts camp.  I'm 5'6" tall on a good day, so a lot of today's shorts are kind of long on me. There's not a lot of my leg exposed anyway.

Shorts for sure.  Like a few other's have mentioned, I don't see hardly anyone playing in pants.  If it's too cold for shorts, I rarely play.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Pants simply are not an option in the middle of summer where I live.  I really don't know how the tour guys can stand playing in the south during the summer considering the pants requirement (though I guess the chance at big money will make anyone tough it out).  Once in a while I will hit the range wearing dress pants and regardless of how light and thin the material is, they end up drenched from sweat.

I'll wear pants once the temperature drops below 75º.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

• 5 months later...
Note: This thread is 4443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!