IGNORED

The 2011 Masters - The Main Thread

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 4729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Zeph

I'm watching Sky Sports. Don't know all the announcers, but I've heard Montgomerie and Butch Harmon, both who've been a real pleasure listening to really. It is so nice to hear british announcers for a change.

I loved the few football matches I was able to see on Sky Sports a few months ago.  I can only imagine how nice their golf is.

Originally Posted by RC

Give Tiger his due, he showed up big time.  I noticed his swing was back to a more free-wheeling, hip turning, left leg snapping clearing move with a bit higher backswing position.  Maybe he is back?

Man, I hope so!  I just finished watching today's round (slight TiVo delay) and... he reminds me quite a lot of the classic Tiger that I knew and still love.

I'm disappointed that some other members of the Foley crew missed the cut, namely Sean O'Hair and Hunter Mahan.   But seeing Tiger at the top of the leader board makes up for quite a lot!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fozcycle

Did anybody notice that Freddie was not wearing his Ecco's today....looks like traditional Footjoys on his feet.

I wonder why he switched....he's been wearing them for over a year now.

I wonder if they are a more traditional pair of Ecco's instead of the Street Premier's? I think he looks more cool in the SP's!

Did anybody notice that Freddie was not wearing his Ecco's today....looks like traditional Footjoys on his feet.

Did not notice. Maybe he was planning to spend a lot of time in the pine straw?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Tiger finishes the day at -7! I really hope he can pull it off.

yea and really he should be 8 under he stuck a 3 footer for his fourth birdie in a row; missed that 3 foot putt that should of broke right but went left.

Originally Posted by motteler621

yea and really he should be 8 under he stuck a 3 footer for his fourth birdie in a row; missed that 3 foot putt that should of broke right but went left.

You're talking about 16 right? That was a bit more than 3 feet. It was a slick downhiller, not one most people would really expect to make.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

You're talking about 16 right? That was a bit more than 3 feet. It was a slick downhiller, not one most people would really expect to make.

yea it might of been more than 3 feet but he stuck it close enough to make it. He putted it left edge and expected it to break towards the water, it stayed on the line and then broke away from the water,lol. The commentators were commenting how that putt from there always breaks right and didnt. Plus he was on fire so anything within 5-6 feet should of been money at that point

Dear Tiger,

Please for once follow through on a good round with another one. Whatever you do, please don't go out and shoot a mediocre 73 after your 66. Use this round as a confidence boost and maybe finally silence all the critics. That is all.

Yours Truly,

A Golf Fan

• Upvote 1

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

If there is ever a time where Tiger will follow up a good round with another I think it will be tomorrow at the Masters.  He is very confident here and it shows.  His swing looked so smooth and effortless again.  Reminded me of the old days lol.  My guess is that he will be one back of Rory shooting a 68-69 after tomorrow.

I think that the main benefit of today's round for Tiger though, is that it takes a lot of the pressure off to go super low tomorrow in order to play catch up. He can be more patient and let the opportunities come to him.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

Originally Posted by iPutt

I think that the main benefit of today's round for Tiger though, is that it takes a lot of the pressure off to go super low tomorrow in order to play catch up. He can be more patient and let the opportunities come to him.

I don't know I liked how aggressive he was today.  Going for it out of the pine straw into that par 5 was nice. I thought he would have just laid up but he didn't and he turned it into an birdie.  I hope he keeps his foot on the gas tomorrow.

I think it's because Augusta is so old school and tradtional that maybe those casual looking golf shoes would not be acceptable. But I'll tell you what, those Eccos, are really sharp. I want to pick a pair of them up. 140 is kind of a lot though.

I was sorta floored by Kaymer's words after the round, really not the words of a future great:

" There’s some golf courses that suit you and some, they just don’t. " *** " It’s just a shame, ” he said.

" I don’t really know how to play the golf course. I don’t know. I can think about it another hour or hour-and-a-half or two hours, and I just don’t really find a solution. "

I try not to judge players too harshly based on random quotes. Did you hear some of the things Graeme McDowell said this week? I heard the announcers quote him several times saying things like "I don't expect anything from this week," and "this course doesn't suit my game well" or something along those lines. It would be easy to think he has a poor competitive spirit based on that, but I truly believe he has the kind of grit to win multiple majors before his career is over. Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Tiger!! what a day for the guy. if he can have another like this tomorrow, it is going to be a great sunday afternoon of golf.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Some guy is having a good time making fun of Jim Nantz and his announcing at the Masters. Hello, friends, I'd like to introduce to you: http://twitter.com/JimNantz

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The difference is that this is Augusta, the constant venue for a major. I cannot recall any of the greats with a defeatist attitude toward something that's gonna be there year after year. I'm sure he'll change his mind but this was disappointing.

Originally Posted by walk18

Nothing wrong with Kaymer's comments. He's being honest, the course doesn't suit him. Tiger and many others have been known to avoid courses they don't like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by topspin4hand

I was sorta floored by Kaymer's words after the round, really not the words of a future great:

"There’s some golf courses that suit you and some, they just don’t." *** "It’s just a shame,” he said.

"I don’t really know how to play the golf course. I don’t know. I can think about it another hour or hour-and-a-half or two hours, and I just don’t really find a solution."

Note: This thread is 4729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!