IGNORED

The 2011 Masters - The Main Thread

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 4749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Shindig

Would you consider my MP-57s to have perimeter weighting?

Most definitely.

Just as my own  MP-57s do!  They are cavity back irons. Which generally means perimeter/peripheral weighting.

I also owned MP-60s and some people insisted on calling them "blades", which is ridiculous. The MP-57s are just a little more dug out at the back. The weight taken from the middle is redistributed at the edges and towards the bottom.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Now, what's up with Tiger's distance control today?  It seems he's had a few approaches that were off by a full club.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Most definitely.

Just as my own  MP-57s do!  They are cavity back irons. Which generally means perimeter/peripheral weighting.

I also owned MP-60s and some people insisted on calling them "blades", which is ridiculous. The MP-57s are just a little more dug out at the back. The weight taken from the middle is redistributed at the edges and towards the bottom.

Yeah, I've heard mine called blades too.  Now, would you consider them players' irons?  I'm usually suggesting these, or clubs similar to them, when people look into players' irons.

I seem to recall these, or at least the MP-60s, were pretty popular with Mizuno's tour staff.  Brian Gay's 5-8 were MP-60 during his big two wins, for instance.

While we're at it, when they showed the footage of K.J. Choi's eagle on 11 (from 2004), it looked like he had a graphite shaft in his iron.  But I think Matt Kuchar is the only one in the field this year using graphite iron shafts.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Shindig .

Yeah, I've heard mine called blades too.  Now, would you consider them players' irons?  I'm usually suggesting these, or clubs similar to them, when people look into players' irons.

I seem to recall these, or at least the MP-60s, were pretty popular with Mizuno's tour staff.  Brian Gay's 5-8 were MP-60 during his big two wins, for instance.

I hate the term "Players' irons". It is used by people who are poor golfers who want to sound cool and knowledgeable. It makes them appear the opposite, in my view.

I just call them great clubs. :-)
Trevino used them. (MP-60s)

Faldo used them when he had no sponsor and said they were the best irons he ever played.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Tiger is out of it, go Rory!

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Zeph

Tiger is out of it, go Rory!

I wouldn't count Tiger out of it yet by any means. Rory has a big lead, and with big leads comes big pressure, especially in major championships. There are two outcomes for tomorrow: either Rory rises above that pressure, and plays at a level that no one would be capable of catching anyway (as Louis Oosthuizen did at St. Andrews last year), or he will succumb to it, and leave the title to anyone capable of posting a low number. If the latter happens, I'd say that anyone down to the crowd at 5-under has a chance of winning this thing, which is exactly where Tiger sits right now.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I wouldn't count tiger out but Rory has been cool, calm and collected for 3 rounds so I wouldn't count Rory out either. And the kid has some SERIOUS game.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Sorry, but Tiger IS out of it. He's just not putting well enough.   If Rory slips.... I think Angel Cabrera will take home his second Green Jacket. Dude is too cool and calm to make big mistakes. I like Luke Donald as an outside shot, just because his iron play and short game are so good. With Sunday pin locations at a major, he could post a number with an hour or so left in Rory and Angel's round that will put a little more pressure on them. Either way, I'm pulling for Rory.

Driver: taylormade.gif Tour Burner 9.5*
4 Wood: taylormade.gif200 Steel 16*
Irons: taylormade.gif Burner '09
Wedges: taylormade.gif RAC TP Satin 54*, 58*
Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot Tour #9  Ball: bridgestone.gif B330

Originally Posted by royal oak

Tiger's putting was terrible today...but I would never count him out of it.  Rory does look good so far.  And he is sponsored by AP...GO RORY!

I just don't get when people say that about Tiger. He has never comeback to win any major EVER when he's been behind after 54 holes.  Not even from 1 stroke, much less 7. So, the logical conclusion is to count him out.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

I just don't get when people say that about Tiger. He has never comeback to win any major EVER when he's been behind after 54 holes.  Not even from 1 stroke, much less 7. So, the logical conclusion is to count him out.

There was a time when he hadn't won one with a 54 hole lead either.

Come to think of it, has Rory ever won one with a 54 hole lead?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Originally Posted by Shindig

There was a time when he hadn't won one with a 54 hole lead either.

Come to think of it, has Rory ever won one with a 54 hole lead?

Stop being silly. Rory has played in what 8 majors? Tiger's played in 62, won 14 yet never did it when trailing after 54 holes. Where is the logic in saying you can never count him out when he's never done it before? That statement implies he has a proven track record of coming back in majors when trailing after 54 holes when his history is just the opposite. One can certainly hope, wish and pray that he can do it, because miracles do happen and it's remotely possible, anything like that can happen, but his past experiences in these situations clearly indicate it's unklikely.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I wouldn't count Tiger out just because he is Tiger.  But I'm not putting any money on him either.  His putting isn't very consistent yet but if he get hot he could post a pretty low round tomorrow.  My money says Rory will not fold under pressure and anyone that wants to beat him will have to go very low tomorrow.

Butch

I'm pretty bummed Day let his score slip like that, I was really pulling for him. Holy effing Mcilroy, though! If he goes wire-to-wire to win this thing...that will be quite the statement. Especially at 21 years of age....

Tomorrow is gonna be a nail biter.

If Rory shoots 70 in the final round, which easily doable, Tiger would have to shoot a 63 to catch him. That party is over.

BTW, on Tiger's drive on 17, the one where he ended up hitting his second while doing a deep knee bend, even I could see that was a beaner swing (the drive). Did he stack and not tilt, or did he tilt and not stack?

I do have to say his second shot on 15 was really something, along with the second on 17. Having to hit spectacular second shots isn't a good sign, though, especially if you have to pull a 63 or thereabouts out of the air.

For some reason, most of Tiger's approaches to the greens were long today.  He hardly ever got the ball hole high.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I will never count tiger out at the masters. yeah sure, 7 is a big number to make up, but anything is possible on a sunday. I wouldn't mind rory winning. great player. I gotta go for KJ choi though. always a class act on and off the course. I always want to see choi up on the leader board. he is great the first 2 days and then he just tails off the last 2 days. but this year at the masters, he is looking pretty good.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

I don't hate my Charl Schwartzel pick in the Masters pool thread.

Otherwise, I'm pulling for Luke Donald.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Note: This thread is 4749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!