IGNORED

The 2011 Masters - The Main Thread

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 4749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll be content as long as it's a tight finish tomorrow.  If Rory just runs away, well, great because he seems like a nice guy, but I just don't find him interesting enough to watch to look forward to that.

I wouldn't write Tiger off yet, but I think his having a chance is contingent on Rory falling apart.  Rory's in as good a spot as you can reasonably ask for: all he needs is a competent round tomorrow and he'll be hard to catch.  However, if Rory does post a par or worse round, Tiger only needs a very good round, not an unbelievably good one.  If Rory shoots a 73 and Tiger finds another 66, well there you go.  There are 9 par-or-higher rounds among the guys in the top 10 this week, so it's not that unlikely that one ends up on Rory's card.

Still, I wouldn't put money on Tiger, no question it's a very tall order.  We all know he's capable of golf miracles, but it's not all in his hands.  He'll need help from the top of the leaderboard even if he plays in his old form.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Gee I think Cabrera is the dark horse going into the final round, this guy always seems to prop up in majors and is nowhere to be seen in regular events! I'd like to see Rory win it though, or even Jason Day or maybe Schwartzel as long as the final round is close and not a runaway win.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Remember, a lot of people thought Dustin Johnson was too cool to fold under the pressure at last year's US Open. And he actually had a tour win under his belt already. His lead was only 3 though, right? I don't remember. I, for one, feel it will be very interesting down to the finish. Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Quote:

Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Remember, a lot of people thought Dustin Johnson was too cool to fold under the pressure at last year's US Open. And he actually had a tour win under his belt already.

Yeah, that was a real mess. He led by 3 shots (-6) on McDowell, shot 11 over for a total 5 over par. McDowell was at 3 under, shot 3 over and won at even par.

I would not put all my savings on Rory winning, he's messed up from time to time in single rounds. I think he'll win it though.

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Is there no online coverage today? If so that is a shame, I really enjoyed watching on there.  Limited commercials and I even liked the broadcasters better.

I suppose there will be coverage on Masters.com.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My prediction (which may be more wishful thinking than anything else, is that KJ Choi breaks through. I'm not sure why, but I like rooting for that guy. It appears Rory has been pretty reliant on his driver this week. If he has any jitters today, I think we'll notice them off the tee with the driver. If he hits fairways today, he's going to win. And if anybody is going to go low to catch him, they better make their move on the front 9. Brandon

I think it was Jack said to Rory that he had more tournaments handed to him than he went out and straight out won. Slow and steady will be the name of the game for Rory. Even if someone presses him to share the lead. I think fairways and greens will be key. Ever hole that passes adds more pressure to the field. Hot streaks only take you so far before the odds catch up to you and that ugly bogey creeps in. (in general) 72 I say gives him a 75% chance of winning. The odds just get better if he can go under. Just don't back up under pressure when that player does make a run at you.

Gonna be fun!!

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Charl Schwartzel's chip in was epic! I thought he damn near sculled it at first, but he played it beautifully.

Driver: taylormade.gif Tour Burner 9.5*
4 Wood: taylormade.gif200 Steel 16*
Irons: taylormade.gif Burner '09
Wedges: taylormade.gif RAC TP Satin 54*, 58*
Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot Tour #9  Ball: bridgestone.gif B330

Originally Posted by groovezilla79

Charl Schwartzel's chip in was epic! I thought he damn near sculled it at first, but he played it beautifully.

Lots of chip-ins so far. YE Yang and Matt Kuchar too.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

And with that chip and Rory's bogey, it's only a 2-stroke lead after 1 hole. And Rory is in the fairway bunker at the par 5 second hole with no gaurantees of a birdie opportunity. Brandon

If this round continues the way it seems to be, Rory will be glad he's 21.  Dustin Johnson and Nick Watney can take him out and explain how to recover after such an event, although I'm sure Rory is plenty capable himself.

Of course, plenty of golf to be played.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Charl Schwarzel... one putt through three holes.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Looking at the leaderboard after Tiger's fourth birdie of the day, there are now 8 people within three strokes of the lead (including the leaders) with at least 11 holes left for all of them. Hopefully this will be an exciting day. Brandon

Note: This thread is 4749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!