IGNORED

The 2011 Masters - The Main Thread

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 4728 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jamo

AK just damn near whiffed one from the pine straw on 11. He drove it further into the straw and had to take an unplayable. Watching him is getting painful.

I won't say I'm surprised, considering the circumstances. It seems that every player that has surgery for a hand or wrist injury spends several months in the wilderness trying to get their feel for the club back.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I was sorta floored by Kaymer's words after the round, really not the words of a future great:

" There’s some golf courses that suit you and some, they just don’t. " *** " It’s just a shame, ” he said.

" I don’t really know how to play the golf course. I don’t know. I can think about it another hour or hour-and-a-half or two hours, and I just don’t really find a solution. "

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Poor Martin hasn't done a good job defending his World No. 1 status in light of that "6 of top 7 players can go to the top of the rankings" talk before the event. He's not going to make the cut, which will only make things easier for his pursuers.

Freddie doesn't realize he's supposed to be too old for this, God bless him.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Did anybody notice that Freddie was not wearing his Ecco's today....looks like traditional Footjoys on his feet.

I wonder why he switched....he's been wearing them for over a year now.

Phil can't buy a putt. Easy (makeable) putts missed today- 11 for par, 12 for birdie, 13 for birdie, 14 for birdie, 16 for birdie. He should be at around -6 with the looks he's been getting. He hasn't played himself out of it by any means, but he would be sitting pretty if he had taken advantage. Stupid analysts saying "he's not driving it straight enough". Who cares? He's still been getting good looks at birdie.

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

Beer, Pizza, and Masters coverage for my slacker Friday brunch. Woot!

same here! and tomorrow and sunday. haha

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

KJ should be leading but Rory is hitting amazing shots.  KJ lacks a little of the magic in putting, the deft touch that handles the extra little Rae's Creek tug.  He has missed a few that either his caddie should have warned him about or he should have "felt" it was time for another inch or two of break.  The miss at 18 on Friday (and an earlier one almost like it) is exactly what he cannot afford to do.

Rory is hitting shots like Nicklaus used to hit.  He towers it up there and drops it into the scoring zones of the greens.  You can see the difference in that style and Alvaro's power game that does not have that special touch.  That is a special skill.  However, what if the wind gets up?  That will be the key for this Masters.  It was the wind that blew Rory up at the Open.  Right now, it is just a question of can you hit the right shot and Rory is totally confident he can.  Phil seems a little removed from the focus needed this time around.  Barnes keeps doing surprising things -- what a great tourney.

Finally, how can anyone who loves golf not be pleased by the good play of Couples, who at 51 years old is playing pretty close to the young guns.  That is pretty impressive on a course that is now a test of beastly power and delicate touch.  The Masters is clearly my favorite tournament, for more reasons than I can explain in a relatively short note.

RC

Tiger and Phil are pretty anonymous on the leaderboard and Rory is playing excellent golf.

That putt by Tiger for par was way off line for such a short one. The guys around even par will need a round in the mid 60s tomorrow to get close to the leaders.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was sorta floored by Kaymer's words after the round, really not the words of a future great:

" There’s some golf courses that suit you and some, they just don’t. " *** " It’s just a shame, ” he said.

" I don’t really know how to play the golf course. I don’t know. I can think about it another hour or hour-and-a-half or two hours, and I just don’t really find a solution. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper View Post

Poor Martin hasn't done a good job defending his World No. 1 status in light of that "6 of top 7 players can go to the top of the rankings" talk before the event. He's not going to make the cut, which will only make things easier for his pursuers.

Nothing wrong with Kaymer's comments. He's being honest, the course doesn't suit him. Tiger and many others have been known to avoid courses they don't like.

Rory McIlroy, Jason Day, and Rickie LaFleur are tearing it up!!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Jason Day really came alive on the back nine.  He hit some incredible shots and putts.  Clearly he played the best on Friday.

RC

I'm watching Sky Sports. Don't know all the announcers, but I've heard Montgomerie and Butch Harmon, both who've been a real pleasure listening to really. It is so nice to hear british announcers for a change.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Give Tiger his due, he showed up big time.  I noticed his swing was back to a more free-wheeling, hip turning, left leg snapping clearing move with a bit higher backswing position.  Maybe he is back?

RC

Note: This thread is 4728 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!