Sign in to follow this  
Chilli Dipper

The 2011 Masters - The Main Thread

Note: This thread is 3518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

271 posts / 16397 viewsLast Reply

Originally Posted by jamo

AK just damn near whiffed one from the pine straw on 11. He drove it further into the straw and had to take an unplayable. Watching him is getting painful.

I won't say I'm surprised, considering the circumstances. It seems that every player that has surgery for a hand or wrist injury spends several months in the wilderness trying to get their feel for the club back.

I was sorta floored by Kaymer's words after the round, really not the words of a future great:

" There’s some golf courses that suit you and some, they just don’t. " *** " It’s just a shame, ” he said.

" I don’t really know how to play the golf course. I don’t know. I can think about it another hour or hour-and-a-half or two hours, and I just don’t really find a solution. "

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Poor Martin hasn't done a good job defending his World No. 1 status in light of that "6 of top 7 players can go to the top of the rankings" talk before the event. He's not going to make the cut, which will only make things easier for his pursuers.

Did anybody notice that Freddie was not wearing his Ecco's today....looks like traditional Footjoys on his feet.

I wonder why he switched....he's been wearing them for over a year now.

Phil can't buy a putt. Easy (makeable) putts missed today- 11 for par, 12 for birdie, 13 for birdie, 14 for birdie, 16 for birdie. He should be at around -6 with the looks he's been getting. He hasn't played himself out of it by any means, but he would be sitting pretty if he had taken advantage. Stupid analysts saying "he's not driving it straight enough". Who cares? He's still been getting good looks at birdie.

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

Beer, Pizza, and Masters coverage for my slacker Friday brunch. Woot!

same here! and tomorrow and sunday. haha

KJ should be leading but Rory is hitting amazing shots.  KJ lacks a little of the magic in putting, the deft touch that handles the extra little Rae's Creek tug.  He has missed a few that either his caddie should have warned him about or he should have "felt" it was time for another inch or two of break.  The miss at 18 on Friday (and an earlier one almost like it) is exactly what he cannot afford to do.

Rory is hitting shots like Nicklaus used to hit.  He towers it up there and drops it into the scoring zones of the greens.  You can see the difference in that style and Alvaro's power game that does not have that special touch.  That is a special skill.  However, what if the wind gets up?  That will be the key for this Masters.  It was the wind that blew Rory up at the Open.  Right now, it is just a question of can you hit the right shot and Rory is totally confident he can.  Phil seems a little removed from the focus needed this time around.  Barnes keeps doing surprising things -- what a great tourney.

Finally, how can anyone who loves golf not be pleased by the good play of Couples, who at 51 years old is playing pretty close to the young guns.  That is pretty impressive on a course that is now a test of beastly power and delicate touch.  The Masters is clearly my favorite tournament, for more reasons than I can explain in a relatively short note.

Tiger and Phil are pretty anonymous on the leaderboard and Rory is playing excellent golf.

That putt by Tiger for par was way off line for such a short one. The guys around even par will need a round in the mid 60s tomorrow to get close to the leaders.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was sorta floored by Kaymer's words after the round, really not the words of a future great:

" There’s some golf courses that suit you and some, they just don’t. " *** " It’s just a shame, ” he said.

" I don’t really know how to play the golf course. I don’t know. I can think about it another hour or hour-and-a-half or two hours, and I just don’t really find a solution. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper View Post

Poor Martin hasn't done a good job defending his World No. 1 status in light of that "6 of top 7 players can go to the top of the rankings" talk before the event. He's not going to make the cut, which will only make things easier for his pursuers.

Nothing wrong with Kaymer's comments. He's being honest, the course doesn't suit him. Tiger and many others have been known to avoid courses they don't like.

Jason Day really came alive on the back nine.  He hit some incredible shots and putts.  Clearly he played the best on Friday.

I'm watching Sky Sports. Don't know all the announcers, but I've heard Montgomerie and Butch Harmon, both who've been a real pleasure listening to really. It is so nice to hear british announcers for a change.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Give Tiger his due, he showed up big time.  I noticed his swing was back to a more free-wheeling, hip turning, left leg snapping clearing move with a bit higher backswing position.  Maybe he is back?

Note: This thread is 3518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
    • 10 Golfing Goals For 2021 1) Enjoy yourself – Golf shouldn’t be taken too seriously unless your living relies upon you playing well. Enjoy your golf with Down to Earth Golf, your playing partners’ company and the fresh air and surroundings in 2021, it is your hobby after all! 2) Birdie every hole on your course – A fun goal for this year could be to birdie every hole at your home club (if you’re a member of a club). It sounds very doable but you’d be surprised just how long it may take. It will also add an element of pressure to your game when you only have one or two holes left to birdie. 3) Play in an Open – Opens are great because they offer competitive golf on different courses and are also great ways to play nice places for less than the standard green fee, usually with 36 holes and/or food included. You’ll get to test your skills under competition on a new course and meet new people. 4) Go on a golf break – If you already go on a golf break each year then great, but many golfers don’t manage to take the clubs away with them. They can be a pain to organise but set yourself a date and, with four or more of you, you’ll be able to find some great deals both home and abroad. 5) Play a top 100 course – Playing Turnberry, Royal County Down or Sunningdale might be expensive, but if you give yourself time to save up it will be worth it. Besides, those three are right up the top of our rankings and there are plenty of other great courses further down that can be more affordable to play than you might think. 6) Improve your short game and putting –  Pretty much every golfer in the world, barring the world’s top 50, needs to improve their short games. Make time to practise your short game and putting this year, whether that be some great chipping drill. This really is the area that can make such a difference to your scores and will be the catalyst for lowering your handicap. 7) Improve your golf fitness – A common new year’s resolution is to get fitter and improving your golf fitness, things like flexibility and power, will help your game and keep energy levels up 😎 Have some lessons – Even if it’s just two or three, some lessons with the right person should improve your golf this year. Swing changes are tough but rewarding once you’ve made it out the other side. 9) Learn some new shots – Do you struggle to play the draw? Can’t quite hit the punch? Only ever play a bump and run around the greens? Expand your arsenal in 2019 by learning some new shots. The best golfers out there can hit pretty much every shot under the sun, whilst many amateurs are reduced to their stock fade and chip and run. Perhaps learn how to play that high, floating lob shot, or the penetrating low draw? 10) Play more golf – Playing more golf doesn’t necessarily mean playing more 18 hole rounds because that does take a lot of time. But perhaps playing more golf could mean the odd nine holes after work, some more driving range sessions or heading down to the club during your lunch break for some short game practise.  
    • My wife's family is all still in the very rural County where she grew up. It is largely deny-ers going about things like normal.  When we came back from FL in April, there were no cases; now there are 500.  They only test symptomatic, so who knows the actual number, but the positivity rate is 20%.   We know of 5 who have died, and since a lot of people are related, I have been doing research to see where they are in her family.  The County has a nice website, but it is only showing 2 deaths, up from 1 two days ago, so that speaks to the credibility of the site. Pillars of the community are infected, but take no precautions.  The owner of the hardware store has it, does not allow the store to have a mask mandate, and scoffs at anyone wearing one. Personal Choice is not an effective way to fight a pandemic.
    • I had posted a recap on the goal thread so this may be repeated some. I didn’t post goals this year so I don’t have anything to compare my year to but I did actually accomplish a lot in my game this season.  1. Putting Improvement- I switched to a claw. All offseason I kept my putter in the bedroom and daily I would take a grip and stroke the putter across the wood floor keeping the putter online using the wood as a guide. Didn’t hit balls but I made thousands of putting strokes in the bedroom. I also switched from my Anser to a Craz-e. Really like the way the ball jumps off the face. Let’s me use a shorter stroke easier to keep online. I’ve made more birdies this year and at least part of that is due to my putting. It’s also due to hitting more GIR.  2. hit more GIR. I accomplished this by doing 2 things. I dialed in my wedge game. I was very good from 100 yards in this year. Just hitting the green was never enough. I was putting wedge shots into the correct quadrant of the green. Closer proximity means shorter putts and more birdies. I also was more creative with my approach shots. I was very accurate from 180 in this year. I used more 3/4 shots and flighted the ball down at times when in the wind or simply because the 3/4 punch gave me a better yardage to the stick than a full shot would. I really focused on my distances this year and added 3/4 shots with virtually every club to my stock yardages along with full shots. All in all I rarely failed to hit 50% GIR in a round. Most rounds I hit 12-14.  Had some hi lights this year to speak of. Multiple times I made double digit runs of bogey free holes. One day I started +5 through 3 then made pars from 4-16. Couple times made 8/9 pars or better on a side this year. 
    • That's what I wrote, yeah. If it's in two areas, the general area is last (i.e. if it's in the general area and any other area, it's treated as in the other area). The rest, @Darkfrog, follow the order: penalty area, bunker, putting green. So a ball in the penalty area and a bunker is treated as being in the penalty area, not the bunker. Beach bunkers that feed down into water can be one situation, and putting greens with PA lines on them or which just fall off into a bunker (pretty rare, sure) would be another. The Rules just establish the order, though, they don't say whether those situations exist. 🙂 I typed up my notes for Rule 3 yesterday but didn't copy them over here. I'll do that and Rule 4 today.
    • As good as @iacas's notes are, this is where we should go to the actual wording of the entire rule.  Rule 2.2c talks about a situation where the ball is essentially on the line between two areas, part of the ball in each.  The ball is always treated as being in one of the 5 areas, and the 2.2c determines which area's rules govern for a ball on the line.
  • Today's Birthdays

1. Darkfrog
      Darkfrog
      (43 years old)
    2. Jrock817
      Jrock817
      (40 years old)
    3. Leonclum
      Leonclum
      (48 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...