IGNORED

Titleist Pro V1 vs. Srixon Z-Star

Note: This thread is 4369 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To be honest I liked the penta till i realized i wasn't getting the amount of spin around the greens i wanted...so i switched to a softer ball. As for Graeme, i think he did in fact switch SOME of the clubs in his bag, probably his irons to srixon's....since he's sponsored they probably have a 10 club or something sponsorship they've agreed to...i doubt his play is attributed to the changing sponsors.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

• 7 months later...

This may sound strange but I as a high handicap player use both balls. On a safe hole with a wide fairway I use the Titleist Pro V1x because if hit dead centre it will go just a little further than the Srixon Z Star X (And it feels better on and around the green). On a hole with a small fairway and/or dangerous traps on the side I use the Z-Star because this ball seems to have the property to correct a slice or a hook. This characteristic of the Srixon ball is realy sensational because it gives an opportunity to play more offensive on certain holes.

I know that on many Pro tournaments there is a 'one ball rule' but for me as an amateur player this works perfect.

Like many people, I've played both balls.  Also, keep in mind that my comments are those of a 12 handicaper.

Srixon Z-Star

Pro - It comes in yellow which helps me.

Pro - In my opinion it has more spin on short irons.  It's fun and cool to see the ball back up three feet.  However, I noticed that when my ball backs-up its going away from the hole.  I've switched to a ball that releases and rolls out.

Pro - durability is great

Cons - price

Titlelist Pro V1

Pro - It's a Titleist

Con - Price

Con - does not come in yellow

Con - In my opinion, there is more sidespin on my tee shots.

Even though the Titleist Pro V may be a little more expensive, I have found it to be much more responsive around the green and on short wedge shots.  If you like the Pro V's and you are not getting paid to use a ball, why switch?

Bridgestone B330s are nice too.  Obviously, I used to be a Titleist loyalist but the days of Titleist being the true #1 ball in golf are long gone.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by Stretch

You might also want to give the brand new Z-Star XVs a shot. They've already converted two of the habitual Pro V1x guys that I play with. Don't have the swing speed for X balls of any description myself but do love the standard Z-Star tour yellows. Once you go day-glo neon, you never go back!

I'm a 17 hdcp and definitely dont have great swingspeed ...driver 85-90 yet I still prefer the V1X  seems the 4 piece spins straight for me and I love it around the greens -especially putting -which is the best part of my game...in contrast I cant seem to hit the V1 straight at all...spins off sideways into banana curve city...

Originally Posted by Kees Tel

This may sound strange but I as a high handicap player use both balls. On a safe hole with a wide fairway I use the Titleist Pro V1x because if hit dead centre it will go just a little further than the Srixon Z Star X (And it feels better on and around the green). On a hole with a small fairway and/or dangerous traps on the side I use the Z-Star because this ball seems to have the property to correct a slice or a hook. This characteristic of the Srixon ball is realy sensational because it gives an opportunity to play more offensive on certain holes.

I know that on many Pro tournaments there is a 'one ball rule' but for me as an amateur player this works perfect.

Yes...I have a similar handicap to you -as do my playing partners and we allow for the ball change like you...generally a two piece distance ball from the tee ...for those ginormous 220 yd blasts followed by a V1X or some other top shelf performance ball  for approach and play around and on the greens....LOL  BTW: I regularly play the V1X and love it...but cant do a thing with the V1..way too much side spin at my swingspeed...

You might say that this approach is a variation on the old "water ball" change out at the face of the lake, eh?

• 1 month later...

IMO its Pro V1 hands down, buts thats personal preference & based on my game.  I feel the main difference is close to the green with chips & for me I feel the Pro V1 lets me attack the pin from those positions whereas the Srixon doesnt seem to grab quite as much on those shots.  Both good balls though.

In my  :sunmountain: H2NO bag:

910 D3 (9.5° - A1 setting)

910 F-d (15° - A1 setting)

4DX (20°)

:mizuno: MP64 (4-6) MP69 (7-PW)

:mizuno: MP-T4 (50°), (54°), :callaway: Jaws (60°)

Select Newport 2 2012)

Srixon Z-Star by a mile over the Titleist. Longer, straighter, softer off the putter, and far more durable than the Pro v1.  Feel and spin are similar between the two. Plus the Z-Star comes in Tour Yellow which makes following the ball or seeing it on the ground so much easier.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies

Yes...I have a similar handicap to you -as do my playing partners and we allow for the ball change like you...generally a two piece distance ball from the tee ...for those ginormous 220 yd blasts followed by a V1X or some other top shelf performance ball  for approach and play around and on the greens....LOL  BTW: I regularly play the V1X and love it...but cant do a thing with the V1..way too much side spin at my swingspeed...

You might say that this approach is a variation on the old "water ball" change out at the face of the lake, eh?

That sounds like you are changing ball during the play of a hole.  Not allowed by the rules of golf unless the ball is damaged.  I guess you are talking about an informal game, though I find people in competitions defaulting to informal rules rather than the actual rules of golf. Another subject, I know.

As a Srixon user I say Srixon over Titleist hands down.

The Z-Star is more durable, doesnt spin back like crazy like prov1s do for me and I found I hit the Srixons further off the tee. The feel off all clubs is great.

The Z-Star XV goes a mile and has good spin but I find I cant get it to hold greens as well as I would like it. I think between the ProV1x and Z-Star XV its a toss up. The XVs are more durable, but the V1Xs spin better around the green.

Its all about personal preference and Titleist makes a great ball obviously, but found the regular Z-Star fits my game better.

Originally Posted by Kees Tel

Do you seriously believe this?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I don't play Titieist because they're too popular and Srixons are good balls but nothing get excited over (relative to other similar balls). Nobody ever seems to mistake my old Wilson Staffs or Top Flite "rocks" as theirs so early in the season I play those. It takes a month or so where my tee balls know which fairway is ours so yes this is a factor. Within a couple hundred yards things are much tighter, but our course is still sketchy so playing a Tour ball is a waste of money anyway.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4369 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!