IGNORED

Stiff Shaft Drivers

Note: This thread is 4677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi Guys, I have a general query changing shafts from a regular graphite to stiff in my driver.

I play off 7 and in getting down to 7 I have rarely used my Driver (Big Bertha Tit 454) I got it as a present numerous years ago but can never, no matter how good im playing can ever hit it. Instead I use my 3 wood which on the majority of occasions I hit between 280 and 300 yards roughy. I have a very fast swing and as a result I invested in a 1 iron (which has soon become 1 of my favourite clubs in the bag) but my thinking on the matter is that to bring my handicap down to 3/4 i need to sort out my driver as it is the 1 part of my game that suffers. I feel that if I can sort this out that because my irons in general from 3-SW are very good and solid I can progress further. All my irons are steel reg shafts while my 3 wood (although inconsistent) is mid firm.

I am wondering that due to my swing speed, natural build 5'11 and 13.7 stone (ex rugby player), youth and general fitness etc is replacing my reg shaft with stiff or x stiff shaft the answer. Taking into account that I am 22, a student and stone cold broke and that getting a pro's opinion would cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks,

AND COME ON RORY!!!!!

You can hit a 1 iron but not a driver? You use regular shafts but generate enough club head speed to hit a 3 wood 300 yards? I don't know bro, that's a little too much talent for me. Maybe one of the other freaks of nature on this board can help you out.

• Upvote 1

Driver: R11s 9 with a Fubuki Tour 63 X-Stiff
Fairway Wood: R11s 15.5 with Miyazaki Kusala Black 83 X-Stiff

Hybrid: taylormade.gif 4 with Fubuki 515 X-Stiff
Irons: titleist.gif Forged 660 3-PW with Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: callaway.gif CC Jaws 52 and 58 Degree
Putter: ping.gif In Anser 2

Is it even possible to have club head speed to hit 3-wood 280-300 "average" with a regular flex shaft?

What's in the Bag:
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 12*
3-wood: Taylormade Burner 15*
Hybrid: Taylormade Burner 19*
Irons: Callaway XR

Wedges: Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Newport Studio

The reason i bought the 1 iron is because my 3 iron was one of the most solid clubs in my bag so i bought a 1 iron with the exact same regular steel shaft and grip to compensate for when my 3 wood has its bad days. My irons have always been my strong game!! Iv always been a big hitter with the 3 wood and in general!! My average distance with a PW is 150 yards+ and 3 iron being 205+ and 1 iron at between 250 and 275!!

Then you don't need a driver !!!!

If you hit a 1 iron (very hard to find today and even harder to find one with a regular shaft) 250-275 and it is at the fairway ...... the reason while you still don't have a +2 handicap must be something else...... maybe within 100 yds ...... maybe putting !!!

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Originally Posted by adhughesie

The reason i bought the 1 iron is because my 3 iron was one of the most solid clubs in my bag so i bought a 1 iron with the exact same regular steel shaft and grip to compensate for when my 3 wood has its bad days. My irons have always been my strong game!! Iv always been a big hitter with the 3 wood and in general!! My average distance with a PW is 150 yards+ and 3 iron being 205+ and 1 iron at between 250 and 275!!

Man you're a real bomber

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

Originally Posted by Bastid

You can hit a 1 iron but not a driver? You use regular shafts but generate enough club head speed to hit a 3 wood 300 yards? I don't know bro, that's a little too much talent for me. Maybe one of the other freaks of nature on this board can help you out.

*Stands and applauds*

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

Originally Posted by Gerald

Then you don't need a driver !!!!

If you hit a 1 iron (very hard to find today and even harder to find one with a regular shaft) 250-275 and it is at the fairway ...... the reason while you still don't have a +2 handicap must be something else...... maybe within 100 yds ...... maybe putting !!!

That's what I thought too. The only 1-irons I've ever seen were really old and had S shafts.

Coincidentally, there was a time when steel shafts in general were much stiffer. I have some rather old blades with stock shafts and grips that would blow your mind - they're as stiff as gun barrels.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

What's your swing speed?

What do you struggle with when hitting the driver? Too high, too low, left, right, too short?

A video of your swing would help.

If you hit a 3-wood 300 yards, you probably need at least X-stiff on your clubs.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks lads for the help.... getting some good insights.

Im not 100% sure on the swing speed but in comparion withothers (who have been tested)  it is above 95!

The 1 iron is a tour grind blade!! Not sure of the year but i reshafted and regripped it!! Beautiful looking club. Coincidently i also bought a wilson staff fat shaft semi blade 1 and 2 iron.

All were bought in the last month and a half long after i got my handicap down. But the 1 iron tour grind has now become a permanent club in the bag!!

1 fundamental thing that I do do is I change my  balance when hitting my woods!!! This is because if i hit my woods in the exact same fashion as my irons it ends in a nightmare and as a result my 3 wood is good, my driver is that bad that i dont even bring it out much!!! (I do practice in the range)

My Driver tends to be go left!! Whether its a pull, pull hook etc.... its left....... with the odd slice  every now and again!!!

Maybe its part mentality thing and part shaft thing... ie changing to a stiff or x stiff along with getting over the 'fear' of hitting the driver could help!

Also on a sidenote i hit a Titleist 983 stiff shaft and nailed it on both occasions!!! This could just be a fluke but maybe its actually the driver and the flex that could be the problem!!

Originally Posted by adhughesie

My Driver tends to be go left!! Whether its a pull, pull hook etc.... its left....... with the odd slice  every now and again!!!

Maybe its part mentality thing and part shaft thing... ie changing to a stiff or x stiff along with getting over the 'fear' of hitting the driver could help!

Also on a sidenote i hit a Titleist 983 stiff shaft and nailed it on both occasions!!! This could just be a fluke but maybe its actually the driver and the flex that could be the problem!

Does the ball start left, straight or to the right? Good article here on ball flight laws and how to analyze your shot. If it starts left the clubface is closed, a grip change might do the trick, or make sure you don't roll the hands. If you swing over the top, which a pull, pull-hook and slice combination might suggest, there are some swingpath issues to work on.

Definitely get fit properly, then start working on your swing.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welllllll it is my experience that if a shaft has too much flex (and from a guy hitting 275-300 yds with a 3W I can imagine anything being a bit flexi) all strange unexpected things can happen with the head of a driver ..... some big slices or severe hooks........ I am not hitting my drives a quarter mile, but I too thought I could maXimise my driver by choosing a regular shaft until my pro looked at my driver and said I at least needed a Stiff flex from Titleist and an Xflex wouldn't hearth me either........ I think it is the same with the OP he thinks he is 95 Mph but it might well be 110 or 120 ...... maybe he is 95 with the irons...... and 120-125 with the driver .......

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I had my clubs fitted. My swing speed was 91. The pro at the store said that if your clubhead speed is over 90 mph, then you need a stiff shaft.  I am not sure how much faster it would have to be to justify an X-stiff.

Drugs are bad. M'kay.

I change my swing every time I don't shoot par for the course.

Best Round: 89 at Lake Park Golf Course, Lewisville, TX   66.5/102

Originally Posted by nickel_aTm

Is it even possible to have club head speed to hit 3-wood 280-300 "average" with a regular flex shaft?

I'm thinking no....but anything's possible on the internet

Originally Posted by mck

I'm thinking no....but anything's possible on the internet

Ok so it must be my imagination!!!

Why is it so hard to believe??

As i said, i am 23, 5'11, 13.7 stone an ex rugby player and can one rep max in bench press is 125kg, therefore by general standards I would be strong.

If I was asking for help and advice on a forum, why the hell would i lie???? To boost my ego in front of people i dont know??

Also i greatly appreciate all of the advice that I am getting.

If you can hit a 3W 300 yards STRAIGHT, your doing good. Driver isnt nessesary in my book

910 D2 Driver 9.5*, adams.gif Speedline Hybrid Fairway 15*, adams.gif Idea Pro Gold Tour Prototype 20*, wilson_staff.gif FG Forged Tour Irons 4-PW, cleveland.gif CG 11 Gap Wedge 52*, cleveland.gif CG 10 wedges 56* and 60*, odyssey.gif White Ice Rossie Putter

srixon.gif Z-Star ('11)

Note: This thread is 4677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!