IGNORED

My Swing (kpaulhus)

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 2235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Stretch

Think I like your modified setup better, at least with the driver. I'm no pro but it would seem logical to me that being a little more flexed forward at address might help you to turn the left shoulder down on a steeper plane.

(PS: Try and film straight down your toe line when taking DTL video. Makes it a lot easier to see what's going on.)

Can't conclude much here with the angle and the dark shirt, but doesn't look like a night and day difference to me.

The setup def feels different. I could feel some muscles in my lower back that I dont typically use in my swing. I liked it tho. I have had a golf club in my hand everyday the last 6 weeks, so Im working really hard. I have a monkey tri-pod so I just have to move my bag so I can get some better DTL videos. I'm going to continue to try and get that shoulder in the right spot at the tip of my back swing. When I do it correctly, It feels like I could fall over onto my ball, but somehow I manage to hit a crisp shot.....I gotta make that feel normal tho.

Im going to keep working and update this next week with some more videos.

Thanks for your help.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 years later...

Here we are 3 years later. Just joined Pinnacle Country Club in NW Arkansas. Finally able to consistantly work on my swing after a short stint in New Jersey. My friend told me I was losing power and distance since I was not rotating my hips enough in my back swing, so thats what Im working on at the moment. My miss has changed over the years from a slice to a big hook. I was also told when I hit the bad hook I am coming back and through so flat....almost rotating the club back without ever bringing it over my shoulder.

Any recommendations on the hook issue? This are two slow motion swings with a driver from DTL and Facing. 7 iron video is still uploading so Ill post it next.

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Kyle Paulhus

I agree that you need to turn the hips more and get the left shoulder going down longer on the backswing.

More turn will help your create more depth with the arms. What happens now is the torso stops turning and the arms lift. The left pic makes it look like you turn more because of the camera angle.

From there the shaft steepens and to shallow it out you stay closed for a long time. Note the differences in the two pics with amount of hip rotation. This is where the hooks and the "chicken wing" at impact comes from.

So first thing to do, turn both feet out at address and rotate the knees outward a little. Will really make the pivot stuff easier.

I would also check out this thread, grip might be a little off the create this look.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thank you @mvmac. I will work on the backswing next range session. I have a 10 finger grip currently. The overlap and interlocking feel so weird to me.

Kyle Paulhus

I have a 10 finger grip currently. The overlap and interlocking feel so weird to me.

That's fine, I was just concerned it might be in the palm of the left hand.

Mike McLoughlin

What a difference rotating my feet outward made. I shot an 89 Friday and Sunday after reading your post I shot an 81. Had 3 birdies and just flat out played much better tee to green. Going to keep working and getting my new putter grooved in.

Kyle Paulhus

What a difference rotating my feet outward made. I shot an 89 Friday and Sunday after reading your post I shot an 81. Had 3 birdies and just flat out played much better tee to green. Going to keep working and getting my new putter grooved in.

Great to hear, happy I could help, keep up the good work dude.

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

BTW, @kpaulhus , congratulations (a few days late)! :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...
Thank you! She's a keeper and we're getting out for a round this weekend. Wedding planning has been a doozy

Kyle Paulhus

• 3 months later...
Bringing this back to life. Weight gain and loss of flexibility has really hindered my turn. New videos to come early next week.

Kyle Paulhus

• Administrator
Bringing this back to life. Weight gain and loss of flexibility has really hindered my turn. New videos to come early next week.

Lack of right knee and hip extension have hindered your turn. ;-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hopefully back to the range soon and will work on it. I definitely feel the bow legged feeling with my feet turned out a bit.

Kyle Paulhus

• Administrator

Hopefully back to the range soon and will work on it. I definitely feel the bow legged feeling with my feet turned out a bit.

Feet out is good, but part of the reason for it is to encourage turn, which means extending the right knee and hip a bit on the backswing.

So Im not hitting a ball, but I didn't want to wait until Tuesday to video my (attempt) at hip turn. I feel like my head is dipping and I would hit the ball fat. Am I right in what you described as flex the right knee in order to help get more hip turn? If its not raining this week after work Ill get more video actually hitting a ball.

Kyle Paulhus

I'm on my phone and took a quick look. Seems like you're forcing the right leg to straighten and it causes you to "load left" and your head dips. You don't want to release all the flex in your right knee, just some. I'd recommend just turning that right foot out and feel like you turn the right hip up and back, gradually all the way to the top of the backswing.

Mike McLoughlin

I'm on my phone and took a quick look. Seems like you're forcing the right leg to straighten and it causes you to "load left" and your head dips. You don't want to release all the flex in your right knee, just some.

I'd recommend just turning that right foot out and feel like you turn the right hip up and back, gradually all the way to the top of the backswing.

Thanks. I did feel like I was leaning all of my weight to the left when straightening my right leg. Ill have to get out and hit some balls tomorrow when the range is open and see how it feels. Changed my grip recently and with this hip turn Im going to have to work quite a bit to keep my handicap where it is. It will all be fore (punn intended) the better when I get this right and start hitting the ball further.

Kyle Paulhus

• Administrator

Spend some time with a few things:

1. A mirror with some pieces of tape on it.
  2. A hula hoop around your upper spine.
  3. Pointing a stick at the ground (look up "shoulder pitch with driveway sticks" - video at end).

Note: This thread is 2235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!