Jump to content
Note: This thread is 1949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

I don't know about their club-fitting:  I can't imagine paying for a club fitting again.  I went to an independent shop about three years ago and had a bad experience.  Especially now that I know that just about any equipment company will fit you for their clubs for free.

But it's funny you should bring up GolfTec.  I was recently cleaning my place and found notes from a GolfTec demo day a year or so ago.  A new GolfSmith had opened and they had a GolfTec that gave free 10-minute lessons to whoever wanted them that day.  I found my handout from that, complete with notes of what I should work on and how to get back in touch with them if I wanted more lessons.

The thing they suggested?  Spine tilt away from target, right shoulder down.  Well, with tips like that, I'm so very glad I didn't bother going back!  I guess it's good to know that position in case I ever need to slice the ball wildly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by golf4tito

Has anyone on these forums had a Golftec fitting before?

If so, how was your experience?

I am exploring club fitting options and would appreciate any information.


I haven't done it, but one of my buddies is a GolfTec instructor and he says people don't understand the value until they go through the process. Apparently they use a program written and designed for GolfTec that the instructor throws in some inputs and the program spits out exact brands/shafts/etc that would match your swing. I'm not sure if it's worth the money with that description either, but I know a few people who have done it and they said their game has gotten better.

Hope that helps...

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by mdrengl

I haven't done it, but one of my buddies is a GolfTec instructor and he says people don't understand the value until they go through the process. Apparently they use a program written and designed for GolfTec that the instructor throws in some inputs and the program spits out exact brands/shafts/etc that would match your swing. I'm not sure if it's worth the money with that description either, but I know a few people who have done it and they said their game has gotten better.


I'd like to add something based on this.  GolfTec fitting is FAR better than buying off the shelf.  I wonder how many people they've helped - and I mean this as a good thing - who had previously thought they weren't good enough at golf to be fit for clubs.  The reality, of course, is the opposite -- if you aren't fit for your clubs, you aren't as good as you can be.  And it's the better players who can probably make use of mis-fit clubs with less loss than we would.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had a fitting while taking lessons from Golf Tec  here in Tulsa.  Very good experience.  Then have all the newest technical equipment and very skilled pro's.  However, there are other excellent club fitters here also.  Golf Tec has the advantage of being able to film your swing from several angles as well as doing the measurements, and the swing speed testing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if you ever got in for the fitting? I am currently taking lessons at GolfTEC and I've been thinking about doing the fitting towards the end of my lessons.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Shindig

The thing they suggested?  Spine tilt away from target, right shoulder down.  Well, with tips like that, I'm so very glad I didn't bother going back!  I guess it's good to know that position in case I ever need to slice the ball wildly.


A lot of instructors recommend this setup position.  It's called the Reverse K and it, alone, doesn't lead to a slice.

To the OP - I have not had a fitting via GolfTec but a friend of mine did and he said it was a good experience for him.  Obviously, depending on the fitter/instructor, YMMV.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Shindig

Especially now that I know that just about any equipment company will fit you for their clubs for free.


Hi Shindig,

Does this include Titleist? I will be travelling to the US in the summer and would like to get it done rather than pay the rip off for fitting in Singapore.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Sratha

Hi Shindig,

Does this include Titleist? I will be travelling to the US in the summer and would like to get it done rather than pay the rip off for fitting in Singapore.



Titleist has a big fitting cart.   I'm very surprised that I can't find the information immediately on their site (as I can with Mizuno and Nike), but yes, I know Titleist does fitting at their demo days.  But yes, Titleist will fit you and give you the information to make your purchase.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by Sratha

Hi Shindig,

Does this include Titleist? I will be travelling to the US in the summer and would like to get it done rather than pay the rip off for fitting in Singapore.



This is the link on Titleist's website for club fitting. You just need to type in the postal zip code for where you will be and a list of authorized Titleist fitters will appear. Hope this helps.

http://www.fittingworks.com/Home.aspx

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Dude your handicap is 30+  you dont need to get a fitting you need lessons.    Im not saying this to be mean, Im saying this because I go to GolfTec and I have talked with my instructor about when he gives fittings.  He explains that unless people have a consistent golf swing and return the club to the same spot at impact each time then there is really no way to fit someone like that.   So he goes through and collects a bunch of data for these people thats all over the map and it will spit out a recomended club and he will tell them, I recommend this club only because for some reason you hit this one better than the rest.  But tomorow they could come in and it be completly different.

The industry markets golf fitting like a magic bullet to fix your game and for guys with a reasonably good swing it does make a big difference.   But if you are horrible (again, not trying to be mean) just get something standard that feels good and get some lessons.

Link to post
Share on other sites


It depends on the type of fitting.  If you are debating between 6 shafts all with the same flex, the fitting is probably a waste of time for a 30 handicap. On the other hand if your 6'4 (or 5'4) then a fitting will probably help you out a lot.

Originally Posted by Rip24

Dude your handicap is 30+  you dont need to get a fitting you need lessons.    Im not saying this to be mean, Im saying this because I go to GolfTec and I have talked with my instructor about when he gives fittings.  He explains that unless people have a consistent golf swing and return the club to the same spot at impact each time then there is really no way to fit someone like that.   So he goes through and collects a bunch of data for these people thats all over the map and it will spit out a recomended club and he will tell them, I recommend this club only because for some reason you hit this one better than the rest.  But tomorow they could come in and it be completly different.

The industry markets golf fitting like a magic bullet to fix your game and for guys with a reasonably good swing it does make a big difference.   But if you are horrible (again, not trying to be mean) just get something standard that feels good and get some lessons.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Well your right making sure the clubs are long enough is def important no matter who you are, but you dont need to spend 100$ for a Golftec fitting to get that number.  I talking more about dynamic measurments such as lie angle or face angle, torqure, kick point, lauch angle, ect ect.... They do a really involved fitting which doesnt make alot of sense for your average hacker if theyre all over the map

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 years later...

Old thread, I know. But I'll be doing a Golftec fitment this coming Saturday with my instructor. I've had several lessons with him the last 6+ months. I don't keep an official handicap yet but I'm consistently shooting under 45 now (I rarely play 18) and my swing seems to be to the point that I want to make sure my lie angle and such are correct. I have the feeling that the toe is down a bit at address and at impact, so we'll obviously check that out, but also my distances are becoming more consistent. I'd like to use this hour and a half to also try and narrow down my shot zones and true average distances, and to see if I have any large gaps in my club selections.

I want to make sure I make good use of this $125, considering I will most likely not be purchasing any new clubs unless there is an obvious improvement, but my instructor know I just picked up a new set of irons and SW and GW. What are some things I should definitely make sure my instructor and I look at to get the best use of time? Anything else we should focus on?

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/13/2011 at 9:38 AM, Shindig said:

... But it's funny you should bring up GolfTec.  I was recently cleaning my place and found notes from a GolfTec demo day a year or so ago.  A new GolfSmith had opened and they had a GolfTec that gave free 10-minute lessons to whoever wanted them that day.  I found my handout from that, complete with notes of what I should work on and how to get back in touch with them if I wanted more lessons. ...

I got the GolfTEC tune-up analysis at a golf demo day about 11 months ago. Haven't had time to go back for the full analysis yet. Anyway, I throught the pros who looked at me were very thorough. It was more of a swing analysis than an actual lesson. The two pointed out some position-at-top flaws that I thought I had corrected after my regular lessons the prior year. GolfTEC makes use of both biometric harness and video to chart your moves.

Here's my take: If you get a good quality GolfTEC pro to work with, and you're willing to go through the detail work on your swing - and have time for systematic practice and developmental play - I think it could be beneficial. But, you would have to work at it to get true benefit.  

2 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

(Remove this box please!)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had my GofTec fitting on Saturday. Overall, I am pleased with what we did and what conclusions we came to. I had been working with my instructor at a local range and he recently moved to Golfsmith. So we had done a lot of work on a range before doing this sort of thing. 

Anyways, it turned out that I had a lot of better data than I realized. My shot zone was actually much more accurate than I thought, I have a relatively strong fade but very manageable. Distances were pretty much on point (255-260 d, 200 5w, 165 6i, 155 7i, 145 8i, 135 9i, 125 pw) those were the clubs we had time for. Spin was in really good range, peak height was a little low (~24 ft if I'm remembering correctly) but he said that from what he was seeing across the board from my shot consistency/efficiency data that he wouldn't change anything there.

The overall recommendations were to cut 1/2" from my shafts. Based on my height, and the fact that I was a little toe-heavy if I take the 1/2" out I should see a pretty decent improvement in a reduction of my fade, so I should be able to hone the fade a little closer to my target line. 

I also "could" have gone up one layer of tape in the grip. I took advantage of the labor discount from having the golftec fitting done and went ahead and got my 6-pw shortened by the 1/2" and re-gripped with some nice golf pride CP2's and went ahead and get an extra layer of tape done. 

I took a risk in buying my used tm r9's on ebay with stiff shafts, but it turns out that my tempo and swing speed were good for stiff; whew! :)

Can't wait for my equipment to be ready  :D so excite!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...