IGNORED

medicus swing trainer

cantputt
Note: This thread is 4140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i was wondering if this thing i worth it? a friend bought it but i just think its.... a waste of money.

Titleist 905R 8.5 Degree // Stiff
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 16 Degree// Stiff
Titleist 690.CB// PW-3 Rifle Flighted 6.5
Titleist Spin-Milled 56 Degree
Titleist Spin-Milled 60 Degree

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

link please..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

Yeah it looks like a piece of crap. I'd like to know if anyone has used it and how the results were.
"Hit 'em hard - they'll land somewhere." - Stewart Maiden

In the Bag:

Driver: R480, 10.5*, Graphite5 Wood: R540 XD, 17.5*, GraphiteIrons: Big Bertha 4-10 + GW, SSWedge: 56*, Chrome, SSPutter: White HotBall: HX Hot

this is actually a great swing training aid that gets you on the correct plane as well as allowing you to focus on your tempo. I've used it and it does help. What's great is that you can actually hit the ball to get a true sense of how it works, etc.

Go for it!

novogolf.com

i was wondering if this thing i worth it? a friend bought it but i just think its.... a waste of money.

I use a weighted club, just not a medicus. There really isn't anything that special about them. People made their own forever. The training grip doesn't make sense for most experienced golfers. I do think they help with swing plane, your arms will break down if way off plane and if you tend to over use your arms / under use your torso it is hard to swing one with just your arms. Golfers from Hogan to Player to Vijay swear by them. Helps maintain muscle tone and flexibility at least a little.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Allin

I think you're talking about the Momentus, not the Medicus.

I think a weighted club is great (you can get a momentus without the training grip on it). I can swing it at home and try to do so 5 minutes per day, and I will take it to the range to loosen up and to work on tempo.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Allin

You are right. I have tried someone elses medicus at the range. I do tend to jerk the clup away from address, it seemed to help with that.

Maybe each club / mens league should create a practice closet where people can try and trade each others practice gimmicks oh sorry aids. I suspect occasional use of many of them have a small benefit. If nothing else they may encourage focus on what you feel not how far you hit it.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

The Medicus is a great training aid for some aspects of the swing but it encourages too slow a backswing which can ruin over all tempo. I have the driver and the 5 iron. If you get it try to swing it using a normal tempo. The Tour Tempo products really discuss the problems with plane which develop in a too slow backswing (as does Leadbettor with his Swingsetter). Combining the medicus with the Tour Tempo timer may be helpful.

I used it once and I loved it... the problem is that my cousin tried it too and he basically stole it!!!!!!
I was looking for one again, but new is rather expensive and also the "used" ones on Ebay are not selling for cheap...
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

I used it once and I loved it... the problem is that my cousin tried it too and he basically stole it!!!!!!

Sorry for continuing the thread hijack, but I'm definitley a fan of weighted clubs. I bought the Mometus Power Hitter Driver, and the Groovie Iron, and plan on using them over the offseason to improve my distance. (and im sure accuracy as well) My off season routine I'm planning is ...

15 minutes- Weighted Driver 15 minutes- Weighted Iron 15 minutes- Putting

• 3 weeks later...
My buddy has the 5-iron medicus and we both use it to warm-up before rounds as well as find our rhythm and tempo. definitely practice with your buddies and give it a chance!

Picked up a 5I Medicus after a good friend w/ a 0 index recommended it - I had figured it to be a gimmick. It helped with several common faults, and I still loosen up and "groove" with it sometimes. Never tried the driver version but I know some good players that own 'em.

My 14 Clubs
1W TM R1
3W 5W TM RBZ pro
P-4 Irons Mizuno MP54

• 2 years later...
hi,

Get a teacher. They will help you in every aspect of your swing more than a gimmick like this. Find a PGA pro in your area and buy 4 or 5 lessons off of him. He'll make sure everything form the grip to the stance to the swing are in order and give you drills to use. It will cost you around $200.00 for this but it's better than getting involved in some never ending gimmick addiction that won't really help you. The medicus teaches you how to swing the medicus, not how to golf. I'm not saying it's a total waste, but c'mon. Get a teacher, especially if you're a noob.

Ive been looking into buying one of these but havent had a clear idea on if it really helps. Ive seen alot of vids where the swing plane is correct by the hinged club. I just saw this brand and its a hell of alot cheaper than the medicus, but I was wondering if anyone here has use this

http://refinergolf.com/

Whats in the Four 5?

Burner 10.5 Stiff
Burner 3W
CPR 22/26 HybridsG5 5-PW Black Dot +2 Vokey Sm OilCanSV Tour 60* Black FinishBarbadosPro-V1 recycled

• 7 months later...
You are right. I have tried someone elses medicus at the range. I do tend to jerk the clup away from address, it seemed to help with that.

That's actually a great idea. A dark closet with a door in a dimly lit corridor in the back. Put a hat over the door to signal in use.

That being said, the Medicus and the Momentus have their points. The Medicus is pretty neat if you want something to engrain, but it can be beaten. As for the Momentus? Attach a weight to your club and save $100 I say.

I use the medicus as part of myt pre-game warmup and find that it helps me really focus on the proper moves in my downswing. As said above it has to be taken away rather slowly for my tempo

My only problem with golf is that I am usually standing too close to the ball............ after I hit it.
In my bag

Ping G30 Driver

Ping G25 3 wood

Titleist AP2 3-PW

Edel wedges

Edel putter

• 1 month later...
My swing has been seriously messed up. The end of last season and so far this golf season, golf has just not been any fun for me. I had made so many changes to what I was doing that I had done what felt like irreparable harm to my swing. No distance, everything slicing. The more I read or listened to the more messed up I got. Trust me folks, it was bad.

So yesterday I bought a medicus in what was strictly a desperation move. After just 5 or 10 minutes in the back yard I was able to swing the club without it breaking. Today was the real test though. I warmed up with it before my round and started out with pretty good results.... not great but good. More of a fade than a slice and better contact. Things started falling apart on the back 9 though and I started casting pretty badly. The problem was that the medicus had shown me all the mistakes I had been making (take back too quick and not done with shoulders, not getting toe of club pointed up, not parallel to target at full backswing, left elbow bending on take back, not staying inside on swing, stopping the club and not following through the ball after contact) but there was too much going on in my head. I was trying to correct too many things at once. Also, it was a fairly quick pace and I did not feel I had the time to take out the medicus and find my swing between real swings.

My buddy and I then decided we would play a 2nd round which I was very much up for as I knew I needed repetition.

Many more people on the golf course at this point so play was much much slower. I warmed up with my medicus for a good 15 minutes before teeing off and alternated between practice swings with my medicus and practice swings with my real driver.

Struggled for about three holes but because of the slow play just kept practicing and practicing my swing. By the 4th hole things started to click. The takeaway all the way through to the top of my back swing was now automatic and I didn't have to think about it any longer. Now I could think about coming inside and concentrating on that. Another hole or two goes by and that part now is automatic and I"m not thinking about that. So now my concentration is just on following through and proper weight shift. Holy Moley, I'm hitting my drives strajight. Straight left of my target but the flight of the ball is straight. I notice on the fairway that I'm spinning as I swing so I make an adjustment with my feet and point my toes inward just a little. All of a sudden I'm hitting my targets. Everything is starting to click and I'm gaining confidence. Shot after shot is flying true and far and all of a sudden golf is fun again.

For me the medicus has been a life saver. I can't wait to get out there again. The medicus is staying in my bag and I'll be using it a lot at the driving range and for warming up with before every round. My buddy who I play with 3 times a week was relieved to see me having fun again.

I don't know how good a tool it would be for somebody who already has a pretty good swing but for someone struggling as much as I was, this is a good purchase. I doubt that a lesson would have straightened me out as quickly as my medicus. I don't see myself trying to hit golf balls with it although supposedly you can. But as I said, I'll be using it daily to fortify my swing and create the all important muscle memory of the proper swing mechanics.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

• 3 weeks later...

It's not bad at all. I have one and lend it out from time to time, but don't use it myself. I bought it as a teaching aid more than for myself. I agree, that it forces an overslow early takeaway, either that or you have to fan the club open at takeaway (to get the hinge on plane early so it doesn't break). But all in all, it seems to be pretty effective at stopping casting and imparting the feel of the club being on plane.

I've never seen one in person, but the TempoMaster seems like a really good thing, too. The old version of this was the clubhead attached to a garden hose, which I HAVE tried!

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

Note: This thread is 4140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!