IGNORED

Should Top Players Play the PGA Tour instead of the Euro Tour?

franky21
Note: This thread is 4708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by franky21

Well the bottom line is that players that can't get a exemption for a pga tour event then turn to the euro tour. I am telling you facts everything you are saying is just your personal opinion which i respect but don't agree with. I don't see the need to have to break down the euro tour to get your approval on my outlook of the euro tour. Can you at least tell me why players that can't get on to a event on the pga tour will then go with there second choice which is the euro tour. By the way are you from england because you really love the euro tour and really think it is just as competitive as the pga tour which is just crazy. Anyone that can really say that the competition level is equal on both tours is just crazy and really doesn't watch golf. Cheers mate!!!!!!l LOL

Why do you persist?.....you're truly an idiot.

You can't even use correct grammar, no one is going to take you seriously. You ramble on and on, with no evidence, no facts, and repeat yourself.

GIVE UP.

You're wrong.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I haven't read any responses but I believe the two tours should co-sanction 4-8 events a year.  I understand them not wanting to play here.  That is there home.  They make a great living there and play against quality fields.

Brian

Originally Posted by Leftygolfer

I haven't read any responses but I believe the two tours should co-sanction 4-8 events a year.  I understand them not wanting to play here.  That is there home.  They make a great living there and play against quality fields.

Unless I'm mistaken, the four majors and the four WGC events are "recognized" by both tours.  That is, the earnings count toward both the PGA Tour official money list and the European Tour Order of Merit.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't that be the 4 WGC championships? (Including the Japan tour and others as well.) [edit] Harmonious beat me to it.

• Upvote 1

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Unless I'm mistaken, the four majors and the four WGC events are "recognized" by both tours.  That is, the earnings count toward both the PGA Tour official money list and the European Tour Order of Merit.

I think the OP is referring to The Player's Championship which several Euros have determined doesn't fit into their schedule. If it's truly "the players' championship" it should move around. Why not Italy, Australia,  or South Africa for a change instead of that contrived TPC course?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by deasy55

Franky21 is clueless about world golf. No offense

I suppose 3 of the last 4 major champions and Rory are playing in Malaysia this week because they didn't get into the Valero Texas Open

I am done trying to explain myself you obviously haven't read what i have been writing. But i think we will not agree on the pga and euro tour. But if some of you guys think the euro tour is just as competitive as the pga ok. Deasey55 you didn't read what i have been writing i said exclude the rory's and top players cause they don't need exemptions because of there high ranks but it's ok. Well we won't be agreeing on this topic which is fine. That's what this site is about to get everyone's opinions on certain topics. Have a good one and hit them straight.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I think the OP is referring to The Player's Championship which several Euros have determined doesn't fit into their schedule. If it's truly "the players' championship" it should move around. Why not Italy, Australia,  or South Africa for a change instead of that contrived TPC course?

The renamed Players Championship will always be at Sawgrass because it is run by the Tour at their home course.  You probably remember when it was called the TPC (Tournament Players Championship). Deane Beman really wanted another tournament to challenge the four majors in quality and prestige, thus the Fifth Major idea, and where the Tour could totally control the event, and reap all the monetary benefits, unlike the other majors, which are controlled by other organizations (Augusta National, USGA, R&A;, PGA of America).

In theory, the WGC events were supposed to be held at more world-wide venues, but many US pros refused to travel to, say, Australia, for just one event. Seems the tide has turned a bit.

I am done trying to explain myself you obviously haven't read what i have been writing. But i think we will not agree on the pga and euro tour. But if some of you guys think the euro tour is just as competitive as the pga ok. Deasey55 you didn't read what i have been writing i said exclude the rory's and top players cause they don't need exemptions because of there high ranks but it's ok. Well we won't be agreeing on this topic which is fine. That's what this site is about to get everyone's opinions on certain topics. Have a good one and hit them straight.

It can be hard to follow your train(s) of thought with all your run-on sentences, but I don't necessarily disagree with you about everything.  Once you get past the top 50 or so players on each tour (where Europe has an edge right now), I would agree that the US Tour is probably stronger and/or deeper.  I have absolutely no way to quantify this, just a gut feeling.  But I probably couldn't identify many of the Euros from #50-100 on the Order of Merit. For all I know, they may be better than the US #50-100 that I have heard of.  Since they rarely play at each other's tournaments or in the Ryder Cups, there's no way to know, except to use the World Golf Rankings, dubious at best.

However, if the European tour was so inferior, then it should hold that the British Open would be filled with US players in the top ten every year, since the US Tour is so "deep".  But that is clearly not the case.  In fact, over the past five years, the percentage of US players that finished in the top ten was only about 25-30% during that time. In fact, not since 2000 have more than 50% of the top ten finishers been US.

Each tour has great players. Some play here most of the time, some play there most the time.  They all get together 8 times a year.  What more could you want?

Originally Posted by Harmonious

It can be hard to follow your train(s) of thought with all your run-on sentences, but I don't necessarily disagree with you about everything.  Once you get past the top 50 or so players on each tour (where Europe has an edge right now), I would agree that the US Tour is probably stronger and/or deeper.  I have absolutely no way to quantify this, just a gut feeling.  But I probably couldn't identify many of the Euros from #50-100 on the Order of Merit. For all I know, they may be better than the US #50-100 that I have heard of.  Since they rarely play at each other's tournaments or in the Ryder Cups, there's no way to know, except to use the World Golf Rankings, dubious at best.

However, if the European tour was so inferior, then it should hold that the British Open would be filled with US players in the top ten every year, since the US Tour is so "deep".  But that is clearly not the case.  In fact, over the past five years, the percentage of US players that finished in the top ten was only about 25-30% during that time. In fact, not since 2000 have more than 50% of the top ten finishers been US.

Each tour has great players. Some play here most of the time, some play there most the time.  They all get together 8 times a year.  What more could you want?

I am not going to get into the commas thing when i type so i will let that one fly over my head. Getting back on the topic i really like the stats that you just put up. I know alot about golf and sports in general but didn't know about the percentages that you just presented to us. I just know how the world rankings are full of euros up top and would love to see them more on tour. As a fan of golf you rally can't blame me for having that desire. I just want to see those real good pairings on the weekday more then 5 times a year. Rory paired with Fowler or Tiger with Kaymer. It really makes people watch it more and i think it will help the ratings. The euro players do have families and they just can't leave them behind just to satisfy us. As a husband and father i respect that but as a fan i hate it.

Quote:

I am not going to get into the commas thing when i type so i will let that one fly over my head. Getting back on the topic i really like the stats that you just put up. I know alot about golf and sports in general but didn't know about the percentages that you just presented to us. I just know how the world rankings are full of euros up top and would love to see them more on tour. As a fan of golf you rally can't blame me for having that desire. I just want to see those real good pairings on the weekday more then 5 times a year. Rory paired with Fowler or Tiger with Kaymer. It really makes people watch it more and i think it will help the ratings. The euro players do have families and they just can't leave them behind just to satisfy us. As a husband and father i respect that but as a fan i hate it.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Sure glad I'm not Franky21. He's seems to take a pounding everytime he posts! Kudos to him for gutting it out though, keep swinging! It's like watching Kevin Na in the forest! "even the deer don't come in here!"

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Sure glad I'm not Franky21. He's seems to take a pounding everytime he posts! Kudos to him for gutting it out though, keep swinging! It's like watching Kevin Na in the forest! "even the deer don't come in here!"

I love that Kevin Na joke.lol. I would of picked up on 9 strokes and kept it moving. It's alright i don't take these dudes seriously because i believe what i believe. I got attacked on a thread i put up a while ago about Tiger being the best and i was ok with it. Now i am getting ambushed for saying that the best players should be on the best tour. It is fun and i love debating different topics with other golf fans. That being said my mind is set on what i believe but i respect the opinions of others. Well time to go play 18.

Well the bottom line is that players that can't get a exemption for a pga tour event then turn to the euro tour. I am telling you facts everything you are saying is just your personal opinion which i respect but don't agree with. I don't see the need to have to break down the euro tour to get your approval on my outlook of the euro tour. Can you at least tell me why players that can't get on to a event on the pga tour will then go with there second choice which is the euro tour. By the way are you from england because you really love the euro tour and really think it is just as competitive as the pga tour which is just crazy. Anyone that can really say that the competition level is equal on both tours is just crazy and really doesn't watch golf. Cheers mate!!!!!!l LOL

What facts?  You have provided no evidence to support your "facts".  You have made the claims, the onus is on you to provide the proof.  Can you back up your claim that the Euro tour players can't get sponsors exemptions to pga tour events so they head to the Euro tour?  Wouldn't that mean there would be all kinds of Americans flooding the Euro tour?

Do you even know how sponsors exemptions work?  Did you know that there are only 8 exemptions available each tournament?  Two of those are for PGA tour members not in the tournament.  Two more are reserved for top 25 grads of Q school.  That leaves only 4 exemptions for everybody else.

Historically, many top European Players stayed in Europe and played occasioanlly on the PGA tour.  There is nothing wrong with that.  We'll see the top European players 10-11 times this year which is sufficent and conversely, I enjoy watching them in other interesting places around the world that I have visited or hope to visit one day.  There is more to the game of golf then what's within the walls of the USA and the European tour brings that to anyone who is a TRUE golf fan.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I do find it interesting that while Luke Donald has been playing fairly well this year in addition to the win in the Accenture, he is ranked higher in the race for Dubai than he is in the Fed-Ex even though most of his play has been on the PGA Tour.  It would appear that points are assigned very differently in the two tours.  He is one of my favorite players, and I'd like to see him do well on either or both sides of the pond.

The reason he is higher in the Race to Dubai is that the list is based on earnings for the season whereas the Fed-Ex cup is a points based system. He earned a significant amount of money for winning the wgc, more than for winning most other tournaments but the Fed-Ex cup points might not have been much more than a normal tournamant win

In my :mizuno: Staff Bag
Driver: :ping: i15 S-flex USTMamiya Tour Red
Fairway: :titleist: 909F2 15.5 X-flex UST Proforce V2 85
Hybrid: :mizuno: MP-FliHi 21* S300 +2 deg, +1/2"
Irons: :mizuno: MP-67 4-PW DG S300 +2 deg, +1/2"

Wedges: :vokey: Spin Milled 52.08 56.08 60.04

Putter: :cameron: Newport Beach customised by Kevin Colbert

Ball: :callaway: HX Black

GPS: :skycaddie: SGX

As others have said players can play where they like for there own reasons, yes it would be nice for every tournament to have the best of the best but its never going to happen for many reasons...

What I have trouble with is your assertion that the PGA is "harder/better" than the euro tour... AND that the players there are getting a free ride and more ranking points for playing there.....

I will admit that I watch more Euro tour than PGA (in Australia its normally in a better time slot) but from what I see they are both about the same... Sure you get some dodgy fields in the Euro tour but then again the PGA has its fair share too.

My main question is what makes the PGA tour "better/harder" than the Euro tour?

Secondly IF your belief is correct and the tours are not level why is there not a bunch of Americans playing on the "easier" tour, amassing a bunch of ranking points to get auto entry into the big tournaments?

"Let the bears pay the bear tax I pay the Homer tax!"

I did not read all the responses but I believe since they do this for a living they should play where ever they feel they can receive the most compensation for their efforts.  Hate to sound mercenary but what you do to make a living is about compensation (not necessarily just money).

Butch

Note: This thread is 4708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!