IGNORED

AimPoint Green Reading

I've been bringing the Husky level w/me when I play and taking readings as often as I can. It's really helped me become a better slope reader, especially on up/downhill lies and exposed how bad my putting stroke is. If you're paired w/slow players, you can take many readings, especially if they have long putting routines. Just make sure you turn the volume off. True shoes help as well because there's not much of a layer between the feet and the ground.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As part of my half term blitz on putting, I took the AimPoint Express class on Monday and whilst the instructor did recommend midway through that I get a putting lesson (!), I found the course really useful. My major issue is that I don't hole anything at all from between 7-15 feet and suddenly I was having a good look at all of them, whilst feeling that anything up to eight feet would definitely go in. I played for the first time since today at a tough links course (Rye) and made two birdie putts from 12 and 20 feet respectively that I felt very confident over. There were also a good four more that would have gone in had I got the pace right, which probably proves that I do need lessons! If nothing else, AimPoint gives me the belief that I have the right line, allowing me to just focus on the stroke, and I'm now actually enjoying putting! Later on Monday, I also had a SeeMore fitting, which showed that my current putter couldn't really be a worse fit for my stroke. He did pick up on a couple of major fundamentals that I need to look to sort as well, but the blade style, coupled with the thin grip, meant that I didn't have much control. So, I now have a nice, shiny SeeMore PTM3 arriving in the post in a couple of days and a really clear idea of how to shave some strokes off. I genuinely reckon I saved four today based on putts that I holed which I wouldn't have before, so that already makes it worth it!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Put a ball 10 feet away from the hole, stand 1/3 between the ball and hole, feel the slope, ... .

Did 5 minutes of mirror work today at company gym.

Did you get yourself a level and try and match the feel with the slope or did you do it without a level?

Not yet but I used my smart phone"level" app to "match the feel with the slope" and have general idea what 1%, 2%, 3%, 4% ... slopes feel like.

I compared Clinometer, an iOS app w/decent ratings and it didn't match the Husky digital level that most Aimpointers use, at all. I'd be wary of a smartphone app.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/clinometer-+-bubble-level/id286215117?mt=8

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Put a ball 10 feet away from the hole, stand 1/3 between the ball and hole, feel the slope, ... .

Did you get yourself a level and try and match the feel with the slope or did you do it without a level?

Not yet but I used my smart phone"level" app to "match the feel with the slope" and have general idea what 1%, 2%, 3%, 4% ... slopes feel like.

I compared Clinometer, an iOS app w/good ratings and it didn't match the Husky digital level that most Aimpointers user at all. I'd be wary of a smartphone app.

Did you calibrate it before using the app?   I had to calibrate the app on what I know as a flat surface.

As part of my half term blitz on putting, I took the AimPoint Express class on Monday and whilst the instructor did recommend midway through that I get a putting lesson (!), I found the course really useful. My major issue is that I don't hole anything at all from between 7-15 feet and suddenly I was having a good look at all of them, whilst feeling that anything up to eight feet would definitely go in. I played for the first time since today at a tough links course (Rye) and made two birdie putts from 12 and 20 feet respectively that I felt very confident over. There were also a good four more that would have gone in had I got the pace right, which probably proves that I do need lessons! If nothing else, AimPoint gives me the belief that I have the right line, allowing me to just focus on the stroke, and I'm now actually enjoying putting!

Later on Monday, I also had a SeeMore fitting, which showed that my current putter couldn't really be a worse fit for my stroke. He did pick up on a couple of major fundamentals that I need to look to sort as well, but the blade style, coupled with the thin grip, meant that I didn't have much control. So, I now have a nice, shiny SeeMore PTM3 arriving in the post in a couple of days and a really clear idea of how to shave some strokes off. I genuinely reckon I saved four today based on putts that I holed which I wouldn't have before, so that already makes it worth it!

Went through Aimpoint lesson + Edel putter fitting myself.   It took me 4 - 5 rounds to see positive results.   Hoping to reduce my total putts/round average to somewhere near 30, a few strokes improvement.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Went through Aimpoint lesson + Edel putter fitting myself.   It took me 4 - 5 rounds to see positive results.   Hoping to reduce my total putts/round average to somewhere near 30, a few strokes improvement.

Yeah, i think this was about as good as it could be for the first round - it's more the confidence it's given me that has then fed into my putting being more authoritative rather than the weak stabs it has been over the last few rounds!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I compared Clinometer, an iOS app w/good ratings and it didn't match the Husky digital level that most Aimpointers user at all. I'd be wary of a smartphone app.

Did you calibrate it before using the app?   I had to calibrate the app on what I know as a flat surface.

Three times. Maybe it has something to do with the Husky taking a measurement with a longer flat surface - 9 inches versus half of that or less for a smartphone. I'm going compare them a couple of more times and take photos. What's the name of your app?

Anyone else do a comparison between Husky and smartphone level app?

Steve

"Surface."   You have to convert degrees to percentage which is easy to do.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Yeah, i think this was about as good as it could be for the first round - it's more the confidence it's given me that has then fed into my putting being more authoritative rather than the weak stabs it has been over the last few rounds!

Yeah, now I believe I can make every 10 foot putt and throw a fit when I miss  .... ;-) .    Even if it is a false confidence, it helps.   A significant part of golf is in between ears anyway.

(oops - sorry for missing the multi-quote feature.  honest mistake)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Three times. Maybe it has something to do with the Husky taking a measurement with a longer flat surface - 9 inches versus half of that or less for a smartphone. I'm going compare them a couple of more times and take photos. What's the name of your app? Anyone else do a comparison between Husky and smartphone level app?

I did ... very close for me ... I use the level when I practice in my backyard or at a range, but the app when I out on the course and testing slope with my buddies ... it is quick and easy, since I play with a phone in my pocket. I use the clinometer app on my iphone. When the slope is greater than 2, I can feel it fairly close ... my problem is feeling a 1'ish

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Three times. Maybe it has something to do with the Husky taking a measurement with a longer flat surface - 9 inches versus half of that or less for a smartphone. I'm going compare them a couple of more times and take photos. What's the name of your app?

I did ... very close for me ... I use the level when I practice in my backyard or at a range, but the app when I out on the course and testing slope with my buddies ... it is quick and easy, since I play with a phone in my pocket.

I use the clinometer app on my iphone.

When the slope is greater than 2, I can feel it fairly close ... my problem is feeling a 1'ish

Ah ha. I was thinking maybe I was doing something wrong w/the app. Now curious as to the comparison a second time around. The Husky would say 1 and the Clinometer would say 2.x when I tried, for example. I stood it on the shorter side of the phone, but I recently figured out how to stand it on the longer side. Anyways, will provide details here later.

Steve

@nevets88 I lay my iphone flat on the ground? It has a bubble display ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

@nevets88 I lay my iphone flat on the ground? It has a bubble display ...

@isukgolf , I stood it up like I would a level and got the screen below. Didn't try the bubble display. I'll take a look at that next time. I guess laying it flat would be exposing more surface area, equivalent to the Husky, so the bubble display would be more accurate.

Steve

I use a pretty unscientific method. Barely feel the slope = .75 to 1% Holy freakin' slope Batman = 4% In between = go with my gut feeling. Either a 2 or a 3. Works for me. My speed and line varie enough to smooth out the differences. Sometimes I'll add a fraction of a percentage one way or the other based on gut feeling. Big point for me is to COMMIT. As someone previously mentioned, having confidence in your line frees you up to make a good stroke. This lets me me focus on weight with no doubts about line. If I miss, I miss, but I'll always be closer with my leave than those who use their eyes. Really, there's only 4 slopes and then once you've picked one you can tweak a bit based on gut if you really think it needs it. But don't agonize over decimal points. Even with a perfect read you're going to miss some putts. Get over it, move on.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I use a pretty unscientific method.

Barely feel the slope = .75 to 1%

Holy freakin' slope Batman = 4%

The worst are getting a 5 or 6 because some golf course designer :censored: decided to put a big slope ridge bisecting the green.

I would say majority of the putts I see are 2-3% range. It just takes practice. Maybe once a week, takes about 5-10 minutes to get refreshed.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I used Aimpoint to putt or chip-putt off the green as well.  It works, too.  Anyone else does that?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I used Aimpoint to putt or chip-putt off the green as well.  It works, too.  Anyone else does that?

I do ... and with some success if I land it correctly .

Always. Chipping is putting with loft. I take my read at the mid-point between landing spot and hole. Not sure if that's the right way to do it, but it's working pretty well. I don't hole very many but they all track towards the hole instead of away from it.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Always. Chipping is putting with loft. I take my read at the mid-point between landing spot and hole. Not sure if that's the right way to do it, but it's working pretty well. I don't hole very many but they all track towards the hole instead of away from it.

Missed my edit window, but I wanted to add that I also do this with pitches if I'm planning for more than a foot or two of rollout. I figure if the ball is going to have any opportunity to break, I may as well do my best to make sure it's breaking towards the hole rather than away. [quote name="saevel25" url="/t/45791/aimpoint-green-reading/700_100#post_1147251"] The worst are getting a 5 or 6 because some golf course designer :censored:  decided to put a big slope ridge bisecting the green.  I would say majority of the putts I see are 2-3% range. It just takes practice. Maybe once a week, takes about 5-10 minutes to get refreshed.  [/quote] It's pretty rare that I encounter those on the courses I play. The odd time that I do I just throw it wide and hope for the best. If the speeds right I'll at least get it closer than knee-knocker range.

Yours in earnest, Jason.