IGNORED

AimPoint Green Reading

• Administrator

I saw in the Golfweek with Jordan on the cover for his U.S. Open win (which I think I just got last week) that there is a blurb in there about AimPoint. One rules official said something about, well, here:

a) Again, why would you step on your line on purpose?

b) AimPoint does nothing to help the pace of play? Give me a ****ing break. People with whom I play often don't even know I'm reading my putts. They see me with my fingers up but that's about it. AimPoint not only does not slow down pace of play, I would argue that it speeds it up. If PGA Tour players are "waiting their turn" to start reading their putts, then that's something they can address on their own, but you see that from the traditional "walk around and crouch repeatedly" green readers too, so AimPoint is still faster. I think there's a perception issue because people SEE someone reading the green with AimPoint (especially if they're trying to catch someone in a rules infraction that likely won't ever occur), while other crouchers just look like people milling around the green or doing "the usual thing" so it doesn't even really register.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agreed.

Unfortunately, it is human nature to dismiss or criticize what one does not know or fears ... and many of our fears revolve around change.

You already know this, but Instead of getting facts or learning about something new, people tend to blame.

It's an evolution. As more people accept, doubters fall in line.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

It helps my place of play as a high handicapper ... because I get the ball closer to the hole and in the hole more than I did before! And like commented on above, no one knows I am even using aim pint till I quickly hold my fingers.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I saw in the Golfweek with Jordan on the cover for his U.S. Open win (which I think I just got last week) that there is a blurb in there about AimPoint. One rules official said something about, well, here:

b) AimPoint does nothing to help the pace of play? Give me a ****ing break. People with whom I play often don't even know I'm reading my putts. They see me with my fingers up but that's about it. AimPoint not only does not slow down pace of play, I would argue that it speeds it up. If PGA Tour players are "waiting their turn" to start reading their putts, then that's something they can address on their own, but you see that from the traditional "walk around and crouch repeatedly" green readers too, so AimPoint is still faster. I think there's a perception issue because people SEE someone reading the green with AimPoint (especially if they're trying to catch someone in a rules infraction that likely won't ever occur), while other crouchers just look like people milling around the green or doing "the usual thing" so it doesn't even really register.

I submit the pace of play comments come from people over-doing the reads (if that is the right term, I'm not an Aimpointer, at least not yet). For instance, at the Women's Open I saw a contestant on TV with a maybe 6 foot putt, did the foot rocking line straddle thing about a foot from the hole, again maybe 3 feet from the hole, again at her ball. This episode took some time, but probably no more time than slowly walking around the hole. It just looks like a time waster, especially when the putt is missed. And what if it was a 30 footer on that green at Carnoustie, if the putter was anal about it he could have done a gazillion different foot rocks all the way down the line and drove his competitor crazy, esp if he had been doing it all day. If someone can take forever to read a putt the "normal" way, that same personality type can take forever with Aimpoint, too.

And I think that when someone does the whole Aimpoint thing and then misses the putt badly (one short Stacy Lewis slice putt on Sunday comes to mind) it reflects poorly on the technique, folks think that after all that trouble if it doesn't work then something is wrong. Kinda like the same feeling you get when your Saturday golf buddy takes FOREVER to read and line up a 20 foot putt and misses it 5 feet short, you stifle the impulse to say that he could have missed it that bad without the time wasting routine coming before it.

I figure slow people are slow and fast people play fast and there's not much you can do to change them. Blaming the technique, whatever it may be, sure seems misplaced

Steve

Ummmm... I got nothing :hmm::-D

On a side note. Is there any situation you would stand astride your line?

The only situation I don't like is something like a 1% on medium to long putts. Or, maybe a double breaker with slight slopes where it's hard to figure out which side to really stand to get a read.

b) AimPoint does nothing to help the pace of play? Give me a ****ing break. People with whom I play often don't even know I'm reading my putts. They see me with my fingers up but that's about it. AimPoint not only does not slow down pace of play, I would argue that it speeds it up.

Pretty much this. If you trust the system then you are not backing off putts or walking around from multiple angles to see what is going on. I read greens much faster now.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
I figure slow people are slow and fast people play fast and there's not much you can do to change them. Blaming the technique, whatever it may be, sure seems misplaced

I agree with that too, but… I also think AimPoint Express has helped slow people become a bit faster. The only way it could turn a previously fast person slow is if the previously fast person didn't even really read their putts.

AimPoint doesn't teach you to make a gazillion reads. Even for 30+ footers you only ever need to take a few or a couple, and those are in a fairly small area.

And yes, players can still pull or push the snot out of their putts, or get the speed wrong.

On a side note. Is there any situation you would stand astride your line?

Some Tour pros like to do it on short putts. Since one or both of their feet can be close to the line, I don't prefer to do that at all.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Attended the AimPoint 1&2 clinic today...although I really think it was a combo express/midpoint 1&2 (but maybe that is standard).

I do want to provide feedback to others.....for the record, I am going to tell it like it is....very objectively and without any concern whose feathers I may ruffle......to do this succinctly, I am just going to provide an list of my thoughts

1.  This is good stuff -- first and foremost, I would recommend the class to anyone that asks me and/or is interested....I think like I got a lot out of it and I really enjoyed the interaction.

2.  It is not cheap, so I "get" that there may be hesitation.....DO NOT think that just because you don't take this class, you can't be a very, very good putter......overall, the information is based on physics and mathematics .....this stuff can be reversed engineered by a lot of practice and feel......that said, this is very helpful to the overall understanding of green reading and there are a lot of subtleties that "person specific"

3.  There is no doubt that I can take the information I have learned and pass it along to others.....but it is a LOT to absorb over two hours and there is certainly a benefit from being in a forum with a certified instructor...for one, I asked a ton of questions and I doubt I could field all of the potential questions from those I would pass is along to......

4.  Not that this is any groundbreaking information, but this will not help you hit putts on the intended line or help you get the speed correct.....and you need to account for the speed of the greens.......the "system" technically works everywhere, but there are a lot of different calculations that go into every read....it isn't overwhelming, but it will take time to get it

5.  IT WILL TAKE PRACTICE to master......if you aren't dedicated to getting out on the green with the digital level and practicing, it may be money wasted..........for me personally, I just can't wait to get out tomorrow and get another good session in.......

6.  I've never seen the DVD on express, but my guess is that with a digital level and the info you get from a DVD, you can get most of the way there......I certainly do not buy any of the bullshit that the DVD will not be helpful without an "in person" class.....there are a lot of parts to the equation, but nothing more important that mastering the ability to gauge the slope...you can get there with practice and a digital level

Overall, I feel like it was money well spent.......and there is no doubt that I will bring my level out and demonstrate the basics to my golfing buddies.....and I won't feel like I am doing something morally wrong......I will tell them that the class will always give them more, but I can get them going if they want to take the basics and practice .....and get better

Great post.  I purchased the DVD a few months ago.  Your point #6 above is what I think.  It's crazy that people are so adamant that an in-person class is critical.  That's simply not true.  #5 above is the most important thing.  If you can teach yourself to gauge the slope, you will be in great shape.  Whether I took a class or watched the DVD, I'd still have to spend $35 on a digital level and practice on my own.

For those that are wondering....  Don't travel and spend the money for an in-person class.  Buy the DVD.  It works.

I'm sure many people on this site will tell me that I've only learned "part" of the system, but I'll bet I can read greens as well as them 95% of the time.  That's good enough for me.

• Administrator

I'm sure many people on this site will tell me that I've only learned "part" of the system, but I'll bet I can read greens as well as them 95% of the time.  That's good enough for me.

I think it's closer to 80%, but who knows…

And… you've likely had to spend a fair bit more time working at it. At the end of the day, people can't ask questions of a DVD, and their time (the time you spent figuring some things out) is worth enough to them that I still recommend people see a certified AimPoint instructor for their classes. The cost is not that much more.

Great post.  I purchased the DVD a few months ago.  Your point #6 above is what I think.  It's crazy that people are so adamant that an in-person class is critical.  That's simply not true.  #5 above is the most important thing.  If you can teach yourself to gauge the slope, you will be in great shape.  Whether I took a class or watched the DVD, I'd still have to spend $35 on a digital level and practice on my own.

For those that are wondering....  Don't travel and spend the money for an in-person class.  Buy the DVD.  It works.

I think it's closer to 80%, but who knows…

And… you've likely had to spend a fair bit more time working at it. At the end of the day, people can't ask questions of a DVD, and their time (the time you spent figuring some things out) is worth enough to them that I still recommend people see a certified AimPoint instructor for their classes. The cost is not that much more.

FWIW, I would suggest getting the DVD to watch, then taking the course after.  I would have been able to ask some specific questions about technique (where it differed from that in the DVD) at the class. Could have saved myself a little confusion.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator

FWIW, I would suggest getting the DVD to watch, then taking the course after.  I would have been able to ask some specific questions about technique (where it differed from that in the DVD) at the class. Could have saved myself a little confusion.

Or… just take the class. We (all AimPoint instructors) typically allow audits afterward for free. (Dave and I always allow it.)

Especially those who paid big bucks to become a teacher!

Well, at the end, the critics can say what they want. Until now, for me, it frees my mind standing over a put. I just have to focus on the put itself, not thinking about a break, trusting my feel. and that is great news for me.

I wish they had an AimPoint instructor here in the Oklahoma City area.  Really looks like it would fit me well.  I don't want to do the DVD, as I am much more of a hands on person.  I check the instructor finder on the website about once a month.

• Administrator

I wish they had an AimPoint instructor here in the Oklahoma City area.  Really looks like it would fit me well.  I don't want to do the DVD, as I am much more of a hands on person.  I check the instructor finder on the website about once a month.

Set something up for an instructor to come to town and give a clinic. I'd be happy to travel (and there are instructors closer by, too, who could travel even more easily).

• Administrator

How many players are typically needed for a clinic?

That depends on travel costs, to be honest.

As a single I like to keep clinics to 8 golfers per clinic at a max. With @david_wedzik we'll take up to 12. But we've done up to four clinics in a day.

• 2 weeks later...
No, I have not taken a refresher course.

I saw Mike today, and the refresher lesson,  was awesome! He took me out onto the course, instead of just using the practice green. Anyone who lives in the Philly suburbs, should definitely look up Mike, for an Aimpoint Express lesson!

Do you have to actually use a spirit level (and other tools) when you use this to play? I'm pretty sure I would be ridiculed if I rolled up to the green and pulled out a digital spirit level to start my reading process! Or is the spirit level what you use on the practice green so you learn how to assess without it? I am only a beginner but I can't imagine ever being able to tell what % a slope is just by standing on it.