IGNORED

AimPoint Green Reading

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Good Afternoon fellow aimpointers!  I was wondering if I could get a bit of help with the one part of the express read that still gives me fits.  I still cannot for some reason stand over the ball and tell with my hips what the slope is or what way it's going.  In my head I just can't feel it.  I can feel slope easily through my feet when I stand perpendicular to my line but for some reason stratling it I have a hard time feeling the slope then.

I know they talk about trying to feel which foot has more weight, but I'm thinking that I'm subconsciously taking weight off one side or the other instead of just going with it. 

Anyway, does anyone have any drills or anything they use to get a better feel for the slope when standing parallel to the line? 

I don't straddle the line. I stand beneath the line and keep my feet pretty close together. That makes it easier to feel the slope. Try to always have your feet the same width apart. I would estimate my heels are 3-4 inches at most. Do this when you practice using a level to calibrate.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

According the AimPoint Slope Board instructions (not an official AimPoint product but made by an AimPoint Instructor), "For those using the knees as an element of evaluation of the slope, you must remember that the increase or decrease of the distance between the feet also changes the feel of the slope. For example, with a slope of 2%, the usual feet position is at 5 inches however, moving the feet to 2.5 inches will give the perception the slope is at 4%, while moving the feet to 7.5 inches will give the perception the slope will be at 1%."

On the AimPoint slope board, this means my big toe on each foot is about 5 inches outside the ball.

Good luck.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I don't straddle the line. I stand beneath the line and keep my feet pretty close together. That makes it easier to feel the slope. Try to always have your feet the same width apart. I would estimate my heels are 3-4 inches at most. Do this when you practice using a level to calibrate.

+1

@MattM you might be standing with your feet too far apart when you straddle. Find the low side of the line and then just make your read below your line of putt.

I second the practicing part, too. I had a tough time getting my reads accurate for a while and then I just made myself calibrate before every round. Your awareness grows as you use the skill more and once you start nailing the numbers pretty accurately, your confidence will too.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Not to belabor the point in post 830, but look at Adam Scott. I'd say that's about 10 inches between the heels.

Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 4.14.12 PM.png

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

After you guys mention it I probably was standing with my feet to far apart.  

When I think about it if I have my feet further apart and someone pushed me from the side I wouldn't fall over easy, but if my legs were closer together it would be much easier.  I'm thinking it would definately help to have my feet closer together.  

I'm playing on Wed.  I'll try this.

On 27.12.2015 at 1:32 PM, Mr. Desmond said:

It's easier to spend $45 on the limited time offer on the DVD and learn to use your feet. It is a skill.

I wonder if anyone of you could compare the DVD with an actual class. I am really curious and would like to try aimpoint, but there are no classes or instructors around my home in the next few months.

8 hours ago, MattM said:

After you guys mention it I probably was standing with my feet to far apart.  

When I think about it if I have my feet further apart and someone pushed me from the side I wouldn't fall over easy, but if my legs were closer together it would be much easier.  I'm thinking it would definately help to have my feet closer together.  

I'm playing on Wed.  I'll try this.

Also, if you remain too static for too long you can lose that sense of height differential. When this happens I'll sometimes walk out of my spot and back before taking a read. Kind of like hitting refresh. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

1 hour ago, disaster said:

I wonder if anyone of you could compare the DVD with an actual class. I am really curious and would like to try aimpoint, but there are no classes or instructors around my home in the next few months.

A class is better, but if you don't have access to one, the DVD can get you most of the way there. What the class gives you is someone evaluating how you are doing it. It takes practice, like anything else in golf. But it is well worth it. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, Ernest Jones said:

Also, if you remain too static for too long you can lose that sense of height differential. When this happens I'll sometimes walk out of my spot and back before taking a read. Kind of like hitting refresh.

A trick I do is I'll turn around and read it facing the ball. Doing that refreshes the read for me.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

This came from the 5/2015 piece on green reading, according to it, Brian Gay first to use AimPoint Express.

bg.png.de50f9759d1467c7df212f6000db0483.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I purchased the Aimpoint Express video earlier this week (streaming opiton).  I've used it for two rounds and it already is really helping me with my reads.  I think the video is really worthwhile.

This should be a sticky post. A lot of people ask, who uses Aimpoint? There's just a bunch of numbers on Aimpoint's website and they are impressive, but to get a more tangible idea of who's using it, one word. Twitter.

Just take a look at Aimpoint's Twitter feed and you'll get a good idea, with photographs and videos of pros, college players, ams using it, taking classes in North America, Europe and Asia.

tl;dr: Who uses Aimpoint?

https://twitter.com/AimPointGolf

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 3 weeks later...

Wonder how many times both men's and women's winners of the week used Aimpoint?

Steve

• Administrator
11 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Wonder how many times both men's and women's winners of the week used Aimpoint?

It says "first" in the tweet, but I thought it may have happened before.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

How does Aimpoint deal with the rule about not walking the line of putt?

Not a problem. Take a look at this post:

And here's a link to the aimpoint website dealing with it as well:

https://aimpointgolf.wordpress.com/2015/05/27/wheres-my-path/

Edited by Missouri Swede
  • Upvote 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

10 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

How does Aimpoint deal with the rule about not walking the line of putt?

It is simple, you don't.

9 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

Not a problem. Take a look at this post:

And here's a link to the aimpoint website dealing with it as well:

https://aimpointgolf.wordpress.com/2015/05/27/wheres-my-path/

Thanks for posting.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 1 month later...

Forgot to switch to golf shoes last round and played wearing sneakers instead. It was weird maybe a litle harder at first trying to gauge the slope with the padding and being higher off the ground. Never thought about it but with Trues, barely anything between you and the ground, reading the slope is easier?

Steve