IGNORED

AimPoint Green Reading

Originally Posted by dsc123

my andriod phone came with a bubble level than can be set to % of slope, but without an actual level i have no way of knowing if it is accurate.  I read some where that some carpenter compared it to a really expensive digital level and that it performed just as well, but I find that hard to believe.  Like Erik said, a small bump would make a big difference.

I got access to the forum last night, and I really think that will be a great resource to answer any questions that come up as I work on the techniques.  That eliminates just about all of my frustrations/concerns about my experience.

Would it if you mashed it into the ground a little?  How do the "breakmeters" ovecome this issue.  I assume they don't weigh 20lbs and are the size of a pizza.  I would think if you played decent greens, didn't set it on an obvious pitchmark and did your level best to press the phone a little down below the bumps, you would get something pretty close to another method.  Stretch's clinometer suggestion seems fairly sound to me.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I ended up getting the recommended level.  I'll try to remember to compare it to the bubble level on my phone.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

Would it if you mashed it into the ground a little?  How do the "breakmeters" ovecome this issue.  I assume they don't weigh 20lbs and are the size of a pizza.  I would think if you played decent greens, didn't set it on an obvious pitchmark and did your level best to press the phone a little down below the bumps, you would get something pretty close to another method.  Stretch's clinometer suggestion seems fairly sound to me.

The recommended level is $39. It's nine inches long so it's less sensitive to irregularities while still being convenient. Your phone is too small to the point where a two-millimeter difference will result in way too drastic a change to the angle.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

• Upvote 1

Erik,

When I opened this post on my iMac, the video disappeared and a link went into my downloads.  The iMac couldn't read the link.  Any idea what is happening?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Erik,

When I opened this post on my iMac, the video disappeared and a link went into my downloads.  The iMac couldn't read the link.  Any idea what is happening?

I don't know. It works fine here. It's on YouTube too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqyr7zoYDaI

It had to do with downloading Adobe Flash Player.  Once I did that, it worked.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Can aimpoint not be taught through video? Is it not to protect the instructors who are certified from losing business? I ask not to be a troublemaker but I listened in to an unnamed aimpoint instructor at a golf course near me (I was considering taking a course from him), and I learned more from the old David Orr introductor video on aimpoint than I did from listening to this instructor. It just seems to me that an instructor could video tape each of the levels of the class and sell the videos. The videos themselves could be done by Mark Sweeney even.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Michael

• Administrator

Originally Posted by mchepp

Can aimpoint not be taught through video? Is it not to protect the instructors who are certified from losing business? I ask not to be a troublemaker but I listened in to an unnamed aimpoint instructor at a golf course near me (I was considering taking a course from him), and I learned more from the old David Orr introductor video on aimpoint than I did from listening to this instructor. It just seems to me that an instructor could video tape each of the levels of the class and sell the videos. The videos themselves could be done by Mark Sweeney even.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

In a word, no.

You really want to be there and be present and go through the exercises and whatnot. You wouldn't get nearly as much out of it in a video.

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator
Originally Posted by Double Bogey

What about the Aimpoint bubble?  Is it worth the money or just continuing to use the level?  Thoughts?

I'll let you know when I get them, but the early word is "stick with the level." The bubbles are pretty small and lightweight, so accuracy is an issue, I think.

Maybe I'll be surprised. I have 10 coming.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
Originally Posted by wolfpack

Any word on the bubbles?

I'll tag a few people here: Deryck, jamo, and gwlee. They can provide some feedback. Then I'll share my thoughts. Executive summary: I think they're good, and if having them increases the likelihood that someone will spend a little time practicing AimPoint and then employing it, they're great.

Richie likes his .

Originally Posted by iacas

I'll tag a few people here: Deryck, jamo, and gwlee. They can provide some feedback. Then I'll share my thoughts. Executive summary: I think they're good, and if having them increases the likelihood that someone will spend a little time practicing AimPoint and then employing it, they're great.

Richie likes his.

So far, the aimpoint bubble is doing a perfectly fine job of helping train me to find straight or the zero line.  I am still not too sure about % slope though.  To be fair, it's been so fracking hot here that I have not been able to practice with just the bubble as much as I want to.  Next week is supposed to cooler and I'll have a chance to really use it.

Some thoughts on the Bubble (now that I have a Bubble and a Husky digital level): -They're very fast and convenient. Finding uphill is nearly instant (something you can't really say with the digital level). -You have to make sure to pat it down a bit so spike marks don't throw it off (is that against the Rules? I have no idea, but obviously you can't use the Bubble in any round that counts for something). -The degree reading is pretty accurate for something so low-tech (having checked it against the digital level), but it's still more of an approximation (though that's probably good enough anyway). -I think the Bubble is better if you're just playing a quick round with friends, but the digital level is better if you're getting some readings in preparation for a tournament or something.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

For me, the bubble is an excellent training aid in allowing me to train

1. Checking the % slope of the putt.

2. Finding which direction "straight" is.

I've practiced aimpoint a couple of times since I got home from the clinic and I realized very fast that I hadn't mastered feeling the slope and finding straight with my feet just yet.  Because of the this, the bubble helps to train you as it tells you right away if what you felt with your feet was correct or incorret.  If what you feel is incorrect, you can use the bubble to train yourself on what "correct feels like."  For that alone, it's worth it

Furthermore, it's small.  So if you wish to practice your feel of slope and straight while playing a round, you can pull it out of your pocket like a ball marker and quickly check.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X