IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is Dan's problem. Most tour players were in their early teens or even younger where Dan is now. For example, Mike Weir started at I dunno, 10 yo? Earned his card in his late 20s? I know this is a duh statement, but people are still following this guy, he set for himself an impossible goal.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
Not sure how revealing it is about the other posters who are probably better players than Dan. My perspective is entirely from reading his writeup, and seeing myself in a similar situation.

The point of my post was that it is very hard (impossible?) to self-diagnose swing errors, even with video.  He needs a good teacher.

The point of my post was that it is very hard (impossible?) to self-diagnose swing errors, even with video.  He needs a good teacher.

He has a pro - he's not teaching himself:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I'm not sure that's entirely true, some problems are readily apparent through video analysis. I was able to see my left knee bend point towards my right leg instead of straight towards my toes causing my head to move. I was also able to see that I was not in line with my left wrist at impact. Fixing these 2 things will help majorly when it comes to creating a better swing and more reliable and consistent results. You can also see if you are coming over the top, are too flat, standing too close/far from the ball, have the ball placement wrong, so on and etc. Now, I do agree when it comes to fine tuning and/or minor adjustments it would take a much more trained and educated eye to spot problems.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

This is Dan's problem. Most tour players were in their early teens or even younger where Dan is now.

For example, Mike Weir started at I dunno, 10 yo? Earned his card in his late 20s?

I know this is a duh statement, but people are still following this guy, he set for himself an impossible goal.

There are also some pro's who started later in life as well. Some people start golf early and probably still suck today. Not sure if what you are saying is a common trend at all. Given it is more likely to help if you start early, but I don't think it discredits your chances if you don't.

If you don't know what to look for then yes it is nearly impossible to self diagnose a swing. I do think a good teacher is a must, especially if that person isn't in the mold of a Bubba Watson were they have an uncanny ability to sense and manipulate the club in their swing, and have it do what they want. I am sure that instructors are able to see faults in their own swings very easily. People are not blind to their own swing because it is themselves they are viewing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

I'm not sure that's entirely true, some problems are readily apparent through video analysis. I was able to see my left knee bend point towards my right leg instead of straight towards my toes causing my head to move. I was also able to see that I was not in line with my left wrist at impact. Fixing these 2 things will help majorly when it comes to creating a better swing and more reliable and consistent results. You can also see if you are coming over the top, are too flat, standing too close/far from the ball, have the ball placement wrong, so on and etc. Now, I do agree when it comes to fine tuning and/or minor adjustments it would take a much more trained and educated eye to spot problems.

If someone knows what to look for, it may be fairly easy to see what is wrong.  The correct order to fix or even how to fix is (IMO) where the necessary expertise comes in.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

If someone knows what to look for, it may be fairly easy to see what is wrong.  The correct order to fix or even how to fix is (IMO) where the necessary expertise comes in.

True, or you can fix them in order of the 5 keys, which is what I'm doing right now. Steady head with the knee flex *key 1*, then I'm moving to getting my wrist in line *key 4*. However, if I wasn't aware of the keys I can see why it would be tougher to figure out order of importance for correction.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

True, or you can fix them in order of the 5 keys, which is what I'm doing right now. Steady head with the knee flex *key 1*, then I'm moving to getting my wrist in line *key 4*. However, if I wasn't aware of the keys I can see why it would be tougher to figure out order of importance for correction.

Even this is not always so simple.  Have you taken a look at my swing thread?  To me, the obvious issue was key #3 (inline impact).  Mike did not even address that right away (or so I thought).  First I was told to fix posture.  Then he had me soften my right arm.  Now he is having me work on not sliding my right elbow behind me in the backswing.  All of these items, if done properly, should help me attain a proper key #3.

Pretty easy for me to see the throwing away of angles early in my downswing.  Knowing what to do, and in what order, is hard.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Even this is not always so simple.  Have you taken a look at my swing thread?  To me, the obvious issue was key #3 (inline impact).  Mike did not even address that right away (or so I thought).  First I was told to fix posture.  Then he had me soften my right arm.  Now he is having me work on not sliding my right elbow behind me in the backswing.  All of these items, if done properly, should help me attain a proper key #3.

Pretty easy for me to see the throwing away of angles early in my downswing.  Knowing what to do, and in what order, is hard.

I see what you are saying, subtle changes to other things fixing an issue. Thankfully my steady head issue is a very obvious and easy fix. Once I get that to be more natural I'll probably be back with another video posting to get the rest of the swing fixes. I may just go from steady head to weight forward drills first though, even though my weight forward seems to be good I'd hate to assume that only to be told to go back and work on it.

The better the swing the harder it is to see and/or fix the flaws I guess.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

BINGO AMUNDO!

Steve

http://www.roit.org/2014_results.php This is his 3-day tourney starting today (Friday). No results posted but it's only 7:30 there. Maybe still players on course

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Looks like he shot an 88. Shocking. Until he breaks 80 in a tournament I can't even begin to take him seriously.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Looks like he shot an 88. Shocking. Until he breaks 80 in a tournament I can't even begin to take him seriously.

Dan is looking more and more like a farce with a 2.6 index. It just seems for the sake of his plan he manipulates his index to keep people interested to donate, if he doesn't start to put it together in the next 6 months it may be time to go back to work in the real world.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Well, he's still got two rounds. Looking at his Tweet photos, guy got interviewed by CNN recently. Got to admit, I could learn a thing or two about marketing from him. How he garnered so much attention, that, was ninja. From the Harvard Business Review: One anecdotal example of how the S-curve model can help us better predict the future is the experience of golfer Dan McLaughlin. Never having played 18 holes of golf, in April 2010, McLaughlin quit his job as a commercial photographer to pursue a goal of becoming a top professional golfer through 10,000 hours of deliberate practice. During the first 18 months, improvement was slow as McLaughlin first practiced his putting, chipping, and his drive. Then, as he began to put the various pieces together, improvement accelerated, consistent with hypergrowth behavior. While he didn’t track how quickly his handicap decreased, making it impossible for us to build an S-curve, 28 months into the project, he has surpassed 91% of the 26 million golfers who register a handicap with the US Golf Association (USGA) database. Not surprisingly, his rate of improvement (if measured as handicap) is now slowing as he faces competition from the top 10% amateur golfers.

Steve

Well, he's still got two rounds. Looking at his Tweet photos, guy got interviewed by CNN recently. Got to admit, I could learn a thing or two about marketing from him. How he garnered so much attention, that, was ninja.

From the Harvard Business Review:

One anecdotal example of how the S-curve model can help us better predict the future is the experience of golfer Dan McLaughlin. Never having played 18 holes of golf, in April 2010, McLaughlin quit his job as a commercial photographer to pursue a goal of becoming a top professional golfer through 10,000 hours of deliberate practice. During the first 18 months, improvement was slow as McLaughlin first practiced his putting, chipping, and his drive. Then, as he began to put the various pieces together, improvement accelerated, consistent with hypergrowth behavior. While he didn’t track how quickly his handicap decreased, making it impossible for us to build an S-curve, 28 months into the project, he has surpassed 91% of the 26 million golfers who register a handicap with the US Golf Association (USGA) database. Not surprisingly, his rate of improvement (if measured as handicap) is now slowing as he faces competition from the top 10% amateur golfers.

I highly doubt this regardless of what his index is.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I hope the best for the guy and I'll say it again but it's not the handicap/score discrepancy that bothers me or the donation button on his website but that it's 2014 and given the resources he had/has at his disposal with tech advances and improved instruction etc... despite limited funds, he really could have made larger strides plus he really didn't follow through on working the deliberate practice angle - all I see is a countdown clock. He added little in terms of advancing knowledge of how we learn imho, the less progress he makes, the less people will take deliberate practice seriously. The blog though I admittedly gleaned over his writing tends to be too long, contained little about practicing, figuring out different ways to get better. I mean what really differentiates how he's practicing between most golfers aside from the time distraction that is the media machine?
  • Upvote 1

Steve

T158 so far.... Ouch!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Dan has gotten himself into a tight spot.  He needed his handicap to be low single digits by now in order to maintain interest and donations to his site.  Unfortunately it appears he has either artificially lowered his handicap or is unable to perform any where near his handicap under the pressure of tournaments.

In either case, he won't be given much time to rectify the problem and prove he can shoot lower scores in tournaments before people either lose interest or consider the effort a failure.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!