IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How about going to the opening post and you will have a better idea of what's really going on here.

What's going on is he's being enabled by a whole lot of people who have never seen a decent player in action or are somehow riding on his back. It's bizarre.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

88-87 for Dan on Friday-Saturday. [URL]http://www.roit.org/results/2014/2014-roit-time.html[/URL] I see 11 players with an earlier tee time than him for Sunday, so based on yesterday's count of about 190 golfers in the field, that puts him 179th place roughly, 33 strokes off the lead. Edit: I got confused reading tee sheet. He's probably more like 165th place. Hard to say

Maybe he's just going to pull out a 52 to make up for his poor performance to win it! :-P At any rate, I'm interested in seeing what he says is the cause this time just so I have some more things to laugh to myself about besides the idea of breaking a hand on a root smaller than a garden hose. That said, I don't think I would be able to go out and explain my rounds to people across the internet in such a public manner as he. I'll just stick to letting people take a look at my GHIN number (7706075) if they care, which is highly unlikely. I, at least, never found it very interesting to read about the rounds others played just because it makes me want to golf more myself. I wonder what it would look like if someone started a "Dan Plan-esque" thread detailing their practice for the day/rounds played. I wouldn't know despite the couple tries I've seen (Kelzzy, the golf opera thread) since they usually devolve fairly quickly due to a combination of factors.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So you're saying there's a chance?

Good to hear from you @Beachcomber .

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

So you're saying there's a chance?

1 in a million would be too optimistic at this point so we will forego the "dumb and dumber" clip. However now that the pressure is clearly off Dan may actually go out there and put together a decent round, I doubt he will break 80 still but I would not be surprised if that's in fact what he shoots. I suspect he may avoid tournament golf for the next couple months thinking there is some exterior solution to combating the pressure but those around him may tell him just the opposite which would be better in the long run. I think it's clear at this point this is going to be Dans biggest obstacle right now and will probably remain till the end of the 10 thousandth hour. Being past the halfway point and unable to shoot lower than 80 in low level am events is a very bad sign that he is going to fall short by more than a a few points

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Maybe he's just going to pull out a 52 to make up for his poor performance to win it! :-P At any rate, I'm interested in seeing what he says is the cause this time just so I have some more things to laugh to myself about besides the idea of breaking a hand on a root smaller than a garden hose. That said, I don't think I would be able to go out and explain my rounds to people across the internet in such a public manner as he. I'll just stick to letting people take a look at my GHIN number (7706075) if they care, which is highly unlikely. I, at least, never found it very interesting to read about the rounds others played just because it makes me want to golf more myself. I wonder what it would look like if someone started a "Dan Plan-esque" thread detailing their practice for the day/rounds played. I wouldn't know despite the couple tries I've seen (Kelzzy, the golf opera thread) since they usually devolve fairly quickly due to a combination of factors.

Hey, I'm going for it. I plan to start a thread to get to a 13 handicap before Dan plays in a PGA tournament. I just have to make it sound interesting. :-P I just looked up your scores. I tend to believe your 2 handicap more than Dan's, but that might just sound a tad subjective. ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

What's going on is he's being enabled by a whole lot of people who have never seen a decent player in action or are somehow riding on his back. It's bizarre.

THIS! Plus the PC oh you can do anything you put your mind to crowd. Some people will never play Rachmaninov, figure out calculus, act like Meryl Strep or run a 4 min mile That's not to say you shouldn't aspire to something but jeez, be realistic. I'm guessing some of this crowd is academics, writers and perhaps golf industry looking to ride his coattails, which are rapidly what's the word, untwining? His funding is like trophies given out for everyone. D@mn you my fellow alumni Malcolm Gladwell. I always thought your writing was superficial. I can't put down your books when I start reading you but after I do and really think about what you write, there's a wait a minute vibe starting up.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 in a million would be too optimistic at this point so we will forego the "dumb and dumber" clip. However now that the pressure is clearly off Dan may actually go out there and put together a decent round, I doubt he will break 80 still but I would not be surprised if that's in fact what he shoots. I suspect he may avoid tournament golf for the next couple months thinking there is some exterior solution to combating the pressure but those around him may tell him just the opposite which would be better in the long run. I think it's clear at this point this is going to be Dans biggest obstacle right now and will probably remain till the end of the 10 thousandth hour. Being past the halfway point and unable to shoot lower than 80 in low level am events is a very bad sign that he is going to fall short by more than a a few points

I would say there is now more pressure then ever. I mean Dan is possibly going to have 4 rounds in a row in the high 80's ..... What can he use for an excuse?

I would say there is now more pressure then ever. I mean Dan is possibly going to have 4 rounds in a row in the high 80's ..... What can he use for an excuse?

He could say that the greens were more difficult than he's used to :) [URL]https://twitter.com/thedanplan/status/475699301713080322[/URL] He tweeted an hour ago how hard the greens were, but no mention of a final score.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

He could say that the greens were more difficult than he's used to :)

https://twitter.com/thedanplan/status/475699301713080322

He tweeted an hour ago how hard the greens were, but no mention of a final score.

I watched the video on that link for the course and yes the greens do roll out nice but they are far from ridiculous firm and fast, I think they roll very similar to my home course and you just can't charge anything that's not straight uphill or else your going to be having 8' come back putts all day, 5000 hours into this and he spent months supposedly learning the putting stroke which was a waste IMO and he can't putt on greens that are mildly quick? I really don't know the courses he's playing up there in OR but if this is the first place with faster than average public greens then he is in huge trouble, Dan is probably close to 10 strokes off his current index, and I understand even if he's only supposed to shoot his hdcp 18% of the time he's not even getting within 10 shots 4 separate occasions, these tournament rounds are really shedding a lot of light on Dan's lack of ability to handle the pressure of tournament golf.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

He spent two months on putting. Exclusively. The first two I think. I hate to pile on, but obviously that sort of deliberate practice didn't work out. What kind of green reading technique did he learn? Anything like Aimpoint? Edit: Search on Aimpoint in his site returns nil.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

He spent two months on putting. Exclusively. The first two I think. I hate to pile on, but obviously that sort of deliberate practice didn't work out.

What kind of green reading technique did he learn? Anything like Aimpoint? Edit: Search on Aimpoint in his site returns nil.

One foot putts also, I'm with you on the piling on part but how much better did he think he got hitting one foot putts for 1 hour versus 2 months...not at all, fact is he did not become an expert at making 1 foot putts for that 2 months anymore than you or me, this was the type of redundant plowing forward mindless garbage he did in the beginning that was a complete waste, I can just imagine the members at CECC looking out the window during a downpour laughing their ass off at this goof ball tapping a ball in the cup for endless hours wearing a heavy raincoat. I'll stop for now until we get his scores for today but someone already said he mentioned the greens were tougher than he is used to so I'm guessing that will be his excuse, I'm just going to add that a lack of physical coordination is probably more of the issue than the greens, most golfers IMO will start to get the feel of the speed by the first 9 and usually be able to putt reasonably decent by the time they start the front 9 on the second round, Dan is someone who comes across as not having a real sense of feel and connection with the way he plays this game, it's very mechanical to him and he probably is very frustrated and angry that he's having the trouble with these tournament rounds.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

I dunno who's really laughing though - he got a 4 year paid kind of vacation. Assuming he doesn't secretly hate golf. Maybe we're all the ones that got conned or at least I did. I want the time I spent following this guy back.

Steve

[URL]http://www.roit.org/scoreboard/index.php[/URL] Live leaderboard shows the top 6 players are +19 combined through 10 holes. That's averaging over +3 each, yet they were all roughly even par to start the day after two rounds. Maybe a tough course setup today. Will be interesting to see other scores (might be ugly across the board). Last year's winner Heinly currently 3 back with 8 to play.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Is he actually getting paid for this fiasco? I just figured he had a rich daddy or something. If he's getting paid my opinion of him just changed. I thought of him as a moron but he's probably the smartest guy in the room. :beer:

Is he actually getting paid for this fiasco? I just figured he had a rich daddy or something. If he's getting paid my opinion of him just changed. I thought of him as a moron but he's probably the smartest guy in the room. :beer:

Maybe I need to start something like this and say I'm testing the theory with someone who has a background in the game, putting in 10,000 hours above and beyond. If i could get paid to do that for 5-8 years that would be great. It could pay for my college AND give me time to find a decent real job after I finished and proved that the rule doesn't apply to sports as the author stated.

http://www.roit.org/scoreboard/index.php

Live leaderboard shows the top 6 players are +19 combined through 10 holes. That's averaging over +3 each, yet they were all roughly even par to start the day after two rounds. Maybe a tough course setup today. Will be interesting to see other scores (might be ugly across the board).

Last year's winner Heinly currently 3 back with 8 to play.

Heinly is in the lead at +2 218 next player +4 with 2 holes left

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

Originally Posted by flopster

I can just imagine the members at CECC looking out the window during a downpour laughing their ass off at this goof ball tapping a ball in the cup for endless hours wearing a heavy raincoat.

I'll stop for now until we get his scores for today but someone already said he mentioned the greens were tougher than he is used to so I'm guessing that will be his excuse, I'm just going to add that a lack of physical coordination is probably more of the issue than the greens

Dan is someone who comes across as not having a real sense of feel and connection with the way he plays this game, it's very mechanical to him and he probably is very frustrated and angry that he's having the trouble with these tournament rounds.

Pure speculation. Great little negativity party you guys have going on here.

Is there any way I can hide a thread so that this one doesn't come up anymore?

Note: This thread is 2376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!