IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One-foot putts have next to zero SV. :)

Separation Value? Hey @iacas I'm gonna go out on a limb and a take a guess, separation value is the difference between a pro's make % and that of an amateur? Wild stab in the dark but it keeps me busy while waiting for the book. :-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Separation Value? Hey @iacas I'm gonna go out on a limb and a take a guess, separation value is the difference between a pro's make % and that of an amateur? Wild stab in the dark but it keeps me busy while waiting for the book.

Not really. SV=SCOR.

Now hush. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Yeah but he was practicing other things in addition, not exclusively.

For the first 5 months, putting was the only golf he did. I'm just browsing his blog now, it was 8/29/2010 when he finally had a lesson with a pitching wedge, starting with learning a grip. In October he added a sand wedge, but apparenlty was only chipping and pitching with these clubs, not working on a full swing. In December he plays a nine hole par 3 course (what I would call a "pitch and putt" course), and says that he had never hit a ball over 50 yards before. And apparently he had a coach actually advising him to proceed in this way.

Quote: [QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1206#post_1004809"] Yeah but he was practicing other things in addition, not exclusively.[/QUOTE] For the first 5 months, putting was the only golf he did. I'm just browsing his blog now, it was 8/29/2010 when he finally had a lesson with a pitching wedge, starting with learning a grip. In October he added a sand wedge, but apparenlty was only chipping and pitching with these clubs, not working on a full swing. In December he plays a nine hole par 3 course (what I would call a "pitch and putt" course), and says that he had never hit a ball over 50 yards before. And apparently he had a coach actually advising him to proceed in this way.

Sounds like a lot of wasted energy from the start... Yuck

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Sounds like a lot of wasted energy from the start... Yuck

Yup, looks like he did start working seriously on the swing in July 2011, and got a clubfitting and clubs, and then started playing full rounds by August. It really sounded though as if he didn't want to pay for anything, clubs, greens fees, etc. I really think he was just waiting to get the blog popular enough that he could get sponsors for things.

As it stands right now if Dan does not post any more rounds before the 15th his index is going to shoot up to 5.0. That 2.6 was an anomaly to say the very least but he will probably slide back down into the low 4's high 3's in the coming months if he doesn't play many tournaments.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

As it stands right now if Dan does not post any more rounds before the 15th his index is going to shoot up to 5.0. That 2.6 was an anomaly to say the very least but he will probably slide back down into the low 4's high 3's in the coming months if he doesn't play many tournaments.

[URL]http://thedanplan.com/countdown/[/URL] On Dan's Countdown page, he mentions playing Riverside after the Royal Oaks tourney: 86 42 approx (he says +6 for 9) 80 40 (for 9) That's about 3 more 18-hole rounds that could be included, all in the 80s. Not sure if you counted those. Dan needs to get back on track...and fast. I know how frustrating a slew of questionable rounds can be. He must be pretty damn flustered and likely searching deep for any answers. But answers often cost $, and usually require extensive work to apply ( often leading to even higher scores as you bring it to course at first).

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Instead of piling on Dan even more, his advisors. They advised... poorly. Can't put the onus of planning entirely on him as he was a golf newbie.
  • Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Instead of piling on Dan even more, his advisors. They advised... poorly. Can't put the onus of planning entirely on him as he was a golf newbie.

Good point.  His original golf instructor has a good reputation but I wonder if he took on Dan as an experiment in teaching the game from the green backwards.  When he realized his experiment wasn't going well and Dan had trouble paying the bills, he was not upset when Dan switched instructors.  In fact, this entire experiment may have been doomed from the start because of insufficient funding.

Dan is unable to afford professional instruction with the kind of frequency he needs.  He dropped his personal trainer months ago.  He can't afford to re-locate to warmer climes in the winter.  The loaner "Trackman" has been taken back.  Much of his mental energy is being diverted to funding issues.

Brian Kuehn

I wondered about this, because everyone I went to said to start with the SW. Yes, I complained about my coaches in So. Cal., but all of them knew at least the basic philosophy that if you can't get to the hole what's the point learning to putt well? Plus putting conditions are all different, and you need to putt actual greens to get practice. My son putts worse than me at this point. He made mostly GIR, but the opposite side of the green. He envied my up and down situations more than I appreciated them. He is ready for good putting instruction, because he knows how to hit greens from 150 yards or more pretty consistently. Dan should have gotten to his current swing 3500 hours ago, then he would have been at my son's current skill level back then. The last 3500 hours would have been him playing tournaments scoring in the 80s at first, and he could be playing for stakes now as a true 6-8 handicap. The problem was his own philosophy, I seriously doubt any instructor would tell him to practice putting on practice greens only. [quote name="bkuehn1952" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1224#post_1005090"]Good point.  His original golf instructor has a good reputation but I wonder if he took on Dan as an experiment in teaching the game from the green backwards.  When he realized his experiment wasn't going well and Dan had trouble paying the bills, he was not upset when Dan switched instructors.  In fact, this entire experiment may have been doomed from the start because of insufficient funding. Dan is unable to afford professional instruction with the kind of frequency he needs.  He dropped his personal trainer months ago.  He can't afford to re-locate to warmer climes in the winter.  The loaner "Trackman" has been taken back.  Much of his mental energy is being diverted to funding issues. [/quote] If he was serious about getting good, he should have moved down to So. Cal., AZ or FL.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

If he was serious about getting good, he should have moved down to So. Cal., AZ or FL.

Yes, another reason he should have gotten out on courses while the weather was good. I would bet some of those monotonous putting exercizes could even have been done in some form indoors over the winter.

But if he started playing full rounds in August 2011, I assume the weather must have become an issue by November.  I haven't looked at those months, but if he didn't get much done then until about March, then to be fair he's really only actually been playing for maybe 2 1/2 years.  This is one reason I'm thinking he still could improve some over the next year. At this point, maybe it's not so surprising if has his swing working for a stretch, and then loses it for a stretch. It's not really very long ago that handicap was up around 6.0 Maybe these up and downs are just part of the process, he's just going to be very inconsistent until he gets a little more experience.

But ultimately, I think he might get to where he can break 80 in these tournaments, but probably not much more. Probably good enough to be a teaching pro, but he hasn't really shown any interest in that, and has never really posted much that was educational either. So maybe that's not his thing.

So TST, let's put our money where our mouths are. If we were to come up with our own plan, Dan Plan 2.0 or TST Dan Plan 2.0, what would you do differently?

It's obvious some suggestions will be:

• Start straight away with a 1/2 - 3/4 wedge shots, get that low point as far forward from the get go. None of the putting BS.
  • Move to warmer climes if possible. Coming from NYC, I think I would find that I would probably not have a problem braving Portland temps year round - Portland folks, what do you think?

In the Talent Code, the writer identified hot spots of talent - I would suggest that Erie, PA, where @mvmac and Dana Dahlquist teach, Martin Chuck's school, Dan Carraher and others similar - these are hot spots of teaching. DP 2.0 should look into these to see whom to learn from.

I don't think he needed to spend money on personal fitness trainer. You can do your own physical fitness regimen - reallocate that money to golf.  And spend more time on golf, less time in the gym.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

So TST, let's put our money where our mouths are. If we were to come up with our own plan, Dan Plan 2.0 or TST Dan Plan 2.0, what would you do differently? It's obvious some suggestions will be: [LIST] [*] Start straight away with a 1/2 - 3/4 wedge shots, get that low point as far forward from the get go. None of the putting BS. [*] Move to warmer climes if possible. Coming from NYC, I think I would find that I would probably not have a problem braving Portland temps year round - Portland folks, what do you think? [/LIST] In the Talent Code, the writer identified hot spots of talent - I would suggest that Erie, PA, where @mvmac and Dana Dahlquist teach, Martin Chuck's school, Dan Carraher and others similar - these are hot spots of teaching. DP 2.0 should look into these to see whom to learn from. I don't think he needed to spend money on personal fitness trainer. You can do your own physical fitness regimen - reallocate that money to golf.  And spend more time on golf, less time in the gym.

Cool, but that's why I bought Erik's book. :-) BTW, I have already been learning from Mike and Dana, with phenomenal results. They are in So. Cal.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Cool, but that's why I bought Erik's book.

BTW, I have already been learning from Mike and Dana, with phenomenal results. They are in So. Cal.

Yeah, it goes without saying for DP 2.0 that LSW and ESC (Every Shot C...) should be required reading.

I would also think giving him a crash course in some of the theory - a history of TGM, MORAD, SnT, 5SK, etc... and continually watching lots of videos of good players is another aspect to DP 2.0. Make him analyze his own swing. That sort of thing.

Plus Aimpoint.

Steve

Yeah, it goes without saying for DP 2.0 that LSW and ESC (Every Shot C...) should be required reading.  I would also think giving him a crash course in some of the theory - a history of TGM, MORAD, SnT, 5SK, etc... and continually watching lots of videos of good players is another aspect to DP 2.0. Make him analyze his own swing. That sort of thing. Plus Aimpoint.

Your idea is quite sound for other reasons as well. If Dan came down to an area where there are lots of other aspiring pros, he would be able to play with really good players trying to the exact same thing as him with the exception that they already have been playing for 18 years by the time they were 21. If you are thinking that you can get him to join TST, and become a supporting member to learn more about golf that might not be a bad idea. I'm sure that TST can get him to the best golfer he can be.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

I wish he would update his blog.  Over 10 days since we've heard anything...  I'm losing interest.

I was interested in what he had to say about his 88s.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pourputt View Post

I wish he would update his blog.  Over 10 days since we've heard anything...  I'm losing interest.

I was interested in what he had to say about his 88s.

You may have seen it already, but if not, in his "10,000 Hours" section, he wrote this little blurb:

Quote: DanPlan
June 6-8:  Played in the three day Royal Oaks Invitational Tournament and was enlightened to the current state of my game.  I could not, for the life of me, get the ball in the hole.  I actually hit it way better than I thought I would, but had 40 putts per day and my short game was abysmal for the entire weekend.  I couldn’t read the greens, never got a feel for the pace and the short game killed me leading to the very high scores of 88-87-88.  All three days were about 5 strokes more than what I was hoping to score.  Each day is worth 3 hours of practice as it was an enlightening tourney. 4,834 remain. Random Stat: Next year I will have a caddy or a better system for reading greens as well as figure out a way to learn the pace of those amazing greens.

Lol.

Constantine

Note: This thread is 2403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!