IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
You may have seen it already, but if not, in his "10,000 Hours" section, he wrote this little blurb: Lol.

:doh: Dan should buy LSW.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[quote name="JetFan1983" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1230#post_1005452"] You may have seen it already, but if not, in his "10,000 Hours" section, he wrote this little blurb: Lol.

:doh: Dan should buy LSW.[/quote] Any advertisement is good advertisement! However, do you really want people reading about how dan read LSW and his score became worst? Sometime there are things better left alone, like this failing project!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

So, what he said in his own blog does not make sense about the putts being the main cause of his scores. My son and I were on a harder course than he played at the tournament. Yet, my son had 21 putts and still got 42 on 9. We were playing better on the back 9 and might have done a couple strokes less than the front. So, if my son had played the entire course with 42 putts, he still would have scored 84 or less. Plus, he said his ball striking was worse than normal, and had to take one provisional. He's about a true 10 handicap for reference. I think Dan will experience a lot of criticism when first joining this site, but I am firmly convinced we can help him once he gets past this BS.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

So, what he said in his own blog does not make sense about the putts being the main cause of his scores.

My son and I were on a harder course than he played at the tournament. Yet, my son had 21 putts and still got 42 on 9. We were playing better on the back 9 and might have done a couple strokes less than the front. So, if my son had played the entire course with 42 putts, he still would have scored 84 or less. Plus, he said his ball striking was worse than normal, and had to take one provisional. He's about a true 10 handicap for reference.

I think Dan will experience a lot of criticism when first joining this site, but I am firmly convinced we can help him once he gets past this BS.

I don't think he needs to join this site - I dunno about the owners but I'm not so sure the spotlight/media attention is a good thing considering the project looks like a sinking ship beyond repair imho - in fact I want to him just stay where he is thank you.

Just based on his plan it looks like propeller head advice took precedence over golf veteran advice if he did get any advice from seasoned in the know golfers. And more and more I'm thinking he's just not well enough funded. Perhaps he should have taken a part time job.

So far the take-way from the plan is not anything to do with unleashing the full capabilities of human potential, but simply... golf is hard.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I don't think he needs to join this site - I dunno about the owners but I'm not so sure the spotlight/media attention is a good thing considering the project looks like a sinking ship beyond repair imho - in fact I want to him just stay where he is thank you. Just based on his plan it looks like propeller head advice took precedence over golf veteran advice if he did get any advice from seasoned in the know golfers. And more and more I'm thinking he's just not well enough funded. Perhaps he should have taken a part time job. So far the take-way from the plan is not anything to do with unleashing the full capabilities of human potential, but simply... golf is hard.

On the other hand, we could take a "burning ship pro wannabe" vanity 3 handicapper, who's really a 13 handicap, and turn him into a true 6 handicap within his current budget. That's a really great and potentially rewarding challenge.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On the other hand, we could take a "burning ship pro wannabe" vanity 3 handicapper, who's really a 13 handicap, and turn him into a true 6 handicap within his current budget. That's a really great and potentially rewarding challenge.

Ha ha. True. As long as the ship doesn't take us down with him.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

On the other hand, we could take a "burning ship pro wannabe" vanity 3 handicapper, who's really a 13 handicap, and turn him into a true 6 handicap within his current budget.

That's a really great and potentially rewarding challenge.

Which is the most likely case scenario!

Edit:  Don't get me wrong I still want to try :)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

There's already been an aspiring pro golfer who is funded dunno how much by Indiegogo or Kickstarter. He's on one of the mini tours I think. I bet someone will try a Dan Plan via crowd funding one day.

Steve

You may have seen it already, but if not, in his "10,000 Hours" section, he wrote this little blurb: Lol.

In his defense I have played Royal Oaks and I have played all over the world including many of the top courses and those greens are about the fastest I have ever played on. They are very tough. Not an excuse but I can understand a little. I know that they grow the rough out and make the course play really tough for the ROI so I was impressed he broke 90 each day.

Michael

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

You may have seen it already, but if not, in his "10,000 Hours" section, he wrote this little blurb:

Lol.

In his defense I have played Royal Oaks and I have played all over the world including many of the top courses and those greens are about the fastest I have ever played on. They are very tough. Not an excuse but I can understand a little.

I know that they grow the rough out and make the course play really tough for the ROI so I was impressed he broke 90 each day.

Ah ha. Ok. Thanks for that insider info. OK, that's fair.

Appreciate it.

Constantine

Yes. Very impressive that a 2.6 handicapper broke 90 three times in a row.:~(

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I think he needs to at least break 85, but I suppose even that's too hard to do more than once. I was a bit more sympathetic before swing his 3 round tournament scores. I know that even when I play terribly in a tournament, I haven't gone above an 85 in more than a year (which includes playing a tournament with a migraine and one with a concussion, both of which were stupid). I think he needs to learn to manage his bad holes better and prevent blow-up triples or worse. For example, when he punched out from behind a root and hen promptly hit an 8-iron into a tree. When you miss the fairway so bad that you have to punch back into the fairway, you should play for bogey by at least making sure you hit the green. If you make the putt, great, but don't tunnel vision onto the pin so hard trying to make par that you hit a tree instead of at least giving yourself a putt (however much longer it may be) at par. Interestingly enough, I believe that there was a study that showed pros and amateurs had higher make percentages for par putts of the same length. I'll try to find it again, since it's somewhat related to the prevention of blowup holes I was talking about earlier. EDIT: He article referencing the study can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/sports/golf/16study.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

He is in no way a 2.6. I would say he is solid 6 handicap, maybe an 8. I was expecting a couple of mid 90's and one over 100. All in the high 80's was a surprise.

Michael

He is in no way a 2.6. I would say he is solid 6 handicap, maybe an 8. I was expecting a couple of mid 90's and one over 100. All in the high 80's was a surprise.

i would say he is a solid 13.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

We're a pretty sturdy ship with plenty of im proved golfers. [quote name="Abu3baid" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1242#post_1005642"] Which is the most likely case scenario! Edit:  Don't get me wrong I still want to try :) [/quote] We can do it! [quote name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1242#post_1005645"]There's already been an aspiring pro golfer who is funded dunno how much by Indiegogo or Kickstarter. He's on one of the mini tours I think. I bet someone will try a Dan Plan via crowd funding one day.[/quote] How would it be convincing, when it takes TST to bail out the original Dan just to get to a decent golfers level? Speaking for the potential future, of ourse. [quote name="mchepp" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1242#post_1005703"] In his defense I have played Royal Oaks and I have played all over the world including many of the top courses and those greens are about the fastest I have ever played on. They are very tough. Not an excuse but I can understand a little. I know that they grow the rough out and make the course play really tough for the ROI so I was impressed he broke 90 each day.[/quote] Impressed for him being a 10 handicap? Or impressive even for a 3? [quote name="mchepp" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1242#post_1005715"] He is in no way a 2.6. I would say he is solid 6 handicap, maybe an 8. I was expecting a couple of mid 90's and one over 100. All in the high 80's was a surprise.[/quote] [quote name="Shorty" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1242#post_1005720"] i would say he is a solid 13.[/quote] It seems like Dan and my son have very similar builds and skills. My son makes more fairways and greens than the average 10 handicap, but his putting skills are pretty bad. Consider, though that my son practices 8 hours a week except during school practice which was 3 hours every other day. In his whole life, he probably spent less than 1000 hours playing and practicing golf. Neither of us considers him an exceptional playe, but I'm pretty sure he can consistently shoot in the high 80s on a 72/135 rated course, because he does. He only got one 51 on 9 holes in the entire year. Most of the time he shoots in the low 40s on 9, and low 80s on 18. Unless, the course is easy.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

We're a pretty sturdy ship with plenty of improved golfers.

I'm not talking about us - talking about the other party. Lots of stuff to go wrong on the other end.

Steve

• Administrator

@Lihu , it's kind of OT to discuss "TST Dan Plan" or whatever you're doing.

He's doing his plan. This thread is to discuss that. He's not working with us… so why are we talking about it?

I do think he went about this the wrong way, and I too wish he would have talked more about how he was learning, what he was working on, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!