IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Interesting, I know you cant speak for Dans coach but would you guess his theory is/was that the short game especially chipping and pitching is a version of the full swing and that's why he made him do that?

Good point, and if he had started with chipping and pitching he might have been better off than putting. I think the issue is that he started off putting for months. He probably should have started off pitching for months.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good point, and if he had started with chipping and pitching he might have been better off than putting. I think the issue is that he started off putting for months. He probably should have started off pitching for months.

I think he should have started off learning the full swing properly, but I'm a crappy golfer so what do I know.

Joe Paradiso

I think he should have started off learning the full swing properly, but I'm a crappy golfer so what do I know.

You know a lot about golf.

We're both talking about developing a full swing, but I only meant as a first stage. Since the pitch shot is something from (3:00 position to 9:00 position), it might be a good starting point. This half swing drill is the one that Mike and Dana gave me to do to rebuild my swing. So, starting off with that is not such a bad idea. Then you gradually work your way back to 2-10 then 1-11, etc.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

not necessarily.. it is very hard to find people to actually play straight up for enough cash to matter. Then you are using it to keep a public plan going which could effect your amateur status since it isn't necessarily under the radar cash. Then you have guys who want strokes and sandbag or you get guys who are scratch or better who are going to play you for enough money. This kind of money I have only seen exchange hands at country clubs where 300-500 bucks is no big deal..

He should consider setting up somewhere on his page a, "play a round of golf with me," and charge like $1k to get some funds. They say that there's a sucker born every minute.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• Administrator

He should consider setting up somewhere on his page a, "play a round of golf with me," and charge like $1k to get some funds. They say that there's a sucker born every minute.

Not a bad idea (the whole thing has turned out to be a bad idea or a bad implementation, I just mean in this circumstance, if he's trying to raise money, this seems like a good idea…).

Maybe even $250 for a single, $350 for two, and $400 for three to join. After all, even $250 is about $50/hour and/or $1250/5-day-week.

Heck, if I lived within reasonable driving distance (3-5 hours tops), I'd be tempted to do it as a cynic so that I could share my opinion of how well he's doing. I believe some other golfers would do so too.

If Dan believed in himself, he could even have a standing offer of a bet where if he loses he pays nothing, but if he wins he gets the $250 or whatever. (It would be silly for someone trying to make cash who believes he has an honest handicap to wager and pay out when he loses, because he should win and lose roughly half of his matches.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If Dan believed in himself, he could even have a standing offer of a bet where if he loses he pays nothing, but if he wins he gets the $250 or whatever. (It would be silly for someone trying to make cash who believes he has an honest handicap to wager and pay out when he loses, because he should win and lose roughly half of his matches.)

I would take that bet in a heartbeat, along with adding on a couple side bets so I could pay for my greens fee.

I would take that bet in a heartbeat, along with adding on a couple side bets so I could pay for my greens fee.

He's in financial dire straights. Unlikely, he would give you (2.3 handicap) side bets. Guessing he might only be in position to beat 12-14 handicaps playing skins with no hc adjustments?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

[QUOTE name="Pretzel" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/2070#post_1078163"]   I would take that bet in a heartbeat, along with adding on a couple side bets so I could pay for my greens fee. [/QUOTE] He's in financial dire straights. Unlikely, he would give you (2.3 handicap) side bets. Guessing he might only be in position to beat 12-14 handicaps playing skins with no hc adjustments?

How do you know this? I thought I read somewhere he's retained his initial nest egg amount. We have no idea what his financial situation is other than his income does not allow him to enter more tournaments. Forgot if he included instruction.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

How do you know this? I thought I read somewhere he's retained his initial nest egg amount. We have no idea what his financial situation is other than his income does not allow him to enter more tournaments. Forgot if he included instruction.

I read the same things, and concluded that he mistyped in his blog and actually "does not" have the initial nest egg amount?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

I read the same things, and concluded that he mistyped in his blog and actually "does not" have the initial nest egg amount?

That's a pretty big assumption and an egregious typing error. Why would he type the opposite of something he meant to?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

That's a pretty big assumption and an egregious typing error. Why would he type the opposite of something he meant to?

IDK, maybe he intended to say he has all his savings intact, but then why does he not have enough money to play the amateur tournaments that cost something like $300-400 including cheap travel and motel 6 type accommodations?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

He's in financial dire straights. Unlikely, he would give you (2.3 handicap) side bets. Guessing he might only be in position to beat 12-14 handicaps playing skins with no hc adjustments?

I'd even give him a stroke a side, more than what he gets just from handicaps, to be generous and sweeten the deal!

I'd even give him a stroke a side, more than what he gets just from handicaps, to be generous and sweeten the deal!

Given our estimates of his true handicap, do you really think that's fair? ;-)

To be honest, you can give him 3 strokes per side, and still beat him. I think he could beat me with straight up scores, but not a true single digit handicap.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

IDK, maybe he intended to say he has all his savings intact, but then why does he not have enough money to play the amateur tournaments that cost something like $300-400 including cheap travel and motel 6 type accommodations?

It'll cost more than that and he's on a fixed income. And/or he's gun shy in entering them.

Steve

It'll cost more than that and he's on a fixed income. And/or he's gun shy in entering them.

It doesn't cost any more. Most tournaments are about $100 for the entry fee, and then traveling won't take up more than $200 even if you're staying a night there.

Quote:

It doesn't cost any more. Most tournaments are about $100 for the entry fee, and then traveling won't take up more than $200 even if you're staying a night there.

2, 3 times a month, ~6 months a year, that's a not trivial amount for a someone on a fixed income. It's hard to think of it that way when you're working.

Steve

2, 3 times a month, ~6 months a year, that's a not trivial amount for a someone on a fixed income. It's hard to think of it that way when you're working.

Someone with a fixed income has a steady stream of money not affected by inflation. That would mean he has a source of income that he could use to spend on tournaments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

I think you guys are referring to this quote:

From DanPlan:
Now that I am 4.5 years in and there are still about 3.5-4 remaining the only thing that hasn’t changed is my initial savings.

I took that to mean that he had money to start the project, and that value has changed. Just the initial value stayed the same! Lol. When I read it quickly, I honestly thought it meant that he was burning through the $$$.  Now, I have no clue. Is he saying he still has his initial savings??? If so, how? That doesn't make sense either.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!